Festerblight and You

56 Troll Death Knight
Since there seem to be a lot of questions for this sub-spec, I thought I'd make a guide to it for all of you. If you see anything that might not be correct feel free to point it out and call me terrible at this game. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me here or add my battletag (jackbauer#1194 is my battletag) or just /w me Jäckßauer @ Area 52.

Jack, what is this thread and what is festerblight?

Good question Robin. I don't know your name so I'm calling you Robin. You can call me Batman if it makes you feel comfortable, but I prefer Jack.

Festerblight is basically getting all your buffs (Trinkets are a big part of this, you'll want a Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun for sure; and strength proc trinkets are generally your best bet) up and applying your diseases via Unholy Blight. After then, you'll be using Festering Strike far more often to keep your diseases up for the entirety for the fight. This doesn't mean that you just ignore your Scourge Strike like it's your child asking for that candy bar, you will to start using Scourge Strike a bit more often with your Death Runes about ~30 Secs (hehe) left. You spend your Unholy runes via Timmy roids (Dark Transformation) and Scourge Strike.

Your diseases take a snapshot of damage bonuses on your bosses, so you'll need to refresh them when those situations arise.

This means that you can not take Plague Leech and do the spec properly, that would involve resetting your diseases and we can't have that.

So spirit is the best stat right and how much of it do I need?

No you silly goose, spirit isn't your best stat. Currently, there has been no maths to say that there is any alteration in the stat priority from normal Unholy. This being said, the BiS is completely the same other then the trinkets. Festerblight BiS trinkets are Primordius' Talisman of Rage and Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun.

What add-on's do I need?

DK Dots and your prefered rune display is all that is needed.

When do I not use Festerblight?

If there are AoE situations, go normal unholy.
If there are immunity phases (I.E Spirit Kings Heroic, Elegon), go normal unholy. Disregard this rule IF it's a short immunity such as Lei Shei.

What talents do I use?

Tier 1
Plague Leech isn't useful ever for Festerblight. Pass.
Unholy Blight is the go-to choice for Festerblight, it's what makes the spec work. Take this.
Roiling Blood isn't useful for single target, Festerblight. Pass.

Tier 2 doesn't have a dps bonus. I reccomend Purgatory though.

Tier 3 the only benefit to your dps here is Death's Advance.

For tier 4; if there is major damage boost in the fight, Death Siphon will be the best choice, if not go with Death Pact since you'll always have your ghoul up.

For tier 5; RE sims the highest; this is believe to be because of the extra free time Festerblight has.

Tier 6; if there's anything in the fight that can loss of control then Desecrated Ground is a bonus to your dps. Otherwise go with whatever the fight needs.

Glyphs

As for Glyphs, there are no required choices and are all subjective. I reccomend Unholy Frenzy and Icebound Fortitude though so you can break out of stuns easier.
Edited by Jäckßäuer on 3/17/2013 7:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thanks batman
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
I like it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Most of this is right, but there are a few things I'd like to make note of.

When do I not use Festerblight?

If there are multiple targets, go normal unholy.
If there are immunity phases (I.E Spirit Kings Heroic, Elegon), go normal unholy.

Multiple targets is not always true. On a fight like Heroic Vizier, you'd want to Festerblight the boss so your diseases last long enough to stay on the boss while you DPS the echos. Also, on Horridon, the progressive damage buff (200% at the end) from him charging gates is snap shotted by your diseases. You'll want to keep those diseases rolling while DPSing War-God Jalak in the final phase.

Immunity phases are not always true either. On Lei Shi, you can Festering Strike enough to keep your diseases rolling through her immunity. And, you don't Festerblight on Spirits Kings because it doesn't work on fights where the primary target shifts (Megaera is like this as well) and Qiang's shield removes all DoTs.

Also, the way you use Festerblight on fights where there are damage buffs (Jin'rohk, Horridon, Sha, Will, etc) differs. You'll use the normal rotation until you get the damage buff, and then use Festerblight to keep the buffed diseases rolling.

How/when to use Festerblight differs on a fight to fight basis so just be careful with blanket statements.
Edited by Amutseba on 3/17/2013 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
56 Troll Death Knight
Thanks for the feedback Amutseba, I added those in there.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
NO! Thank you, Jack Bauer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
It is because he is Batman that is why...
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thank you home skillet, this needed to be done. Good job =)

~Kyr~
Reply Quote
56 Troll Death Knight
Thanks, I'm happy to help.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Finally Jack, thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
So allow me to clarify. On fights with damage bonuses ie: Jinrock, Elegon?, Horridon, Turtos? You want to reapply and transition into festerblight once the damage bonus is active? You're diseases are modified by this? I thought Diseases were modified by buffs, and most of those appear as debuffs, or does it simply take a snapshot of the damage your character gets regardless? Would it be beneficial to not prepot in those situations?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
On Jin'Rokh it is a buff you receive so I can confirm that Festerblighting that damage is massive as this was the first time I even noticed I could do something like that. 100k+ Blood Plague crits ftw.

Quick question Jack regarding Festerblight. You say it is best to use it when your dps is optimal how exactly should I do that at the start of the fight with on proc trinkets? Should I reapply my diseases once both of them come up?
Edited by Fálrin on 3/18/2013 11:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
On Jin'Rokh it is a buff you receive so I can confirm that Festerblighting that damage is massive as this was the first time I even noticed I could do something like that. 100k+ Blood Plague crits ftw.

Quick question Jack regarding Festerblight. You say it is best to use it when your dps is optimal how exactly should I do that at the start of the fight with on proc trinkets? Should I reapply my diseases once both of them come up?

If you use the addon Jack suggested it will tell you basically to reapply or hold off. The bigger the number the better your diseases will be. By default numbers in green mean reapplying with your current buffs will increase their damage, numbers in red means your current diseases are strong, and yellow or "100" means your diseases are the same as your current buffs.
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Death Knight
Mr Jäckßauer I was wondering what you think is better of these three for either unholy or 2h frost Iron Belly Wok and Relic of Xuen both fully upgraded and LFR Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun .
Reply Quote
56 Troll Death Knight
03/19/2013 11:49 PMPosted by Althamon
Relic of Xuen

03/19/2013 11:49 PMPosted by Althamon
LFR Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun

Those two together would be your best bet.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Jack, I just picked up Spark of the Zandalari, but I have the VP trinket equipped (exp, with 8800 str proc), i thought those would be a great combo with the strenght, but the spark takes so damn long to ramp up that I couldnt possibly get potion, all trinkets and unholy might procced ( i could, but the RNG gods would have to shine down upon me). Should I remain with relic of Xuen as I currently am rather than Spark?
Reply Quote
56 Troll Death Knight
In my opinions, go with the Relic/VP Trink if you're finding it hard to get a pot in with both trinkets up using Spark.
Reply Quote
94 Orc Death Knight
Hello.
Reply Quote
95 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thanks for the help Jäckßauer
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]