Unexpected RI behavior

90 Orc Death Knight
This post is about runeforging as a DW frost dk, and the choice of RotFC and RoRI, one goes on the main-hand and one on the offhand. The question is, which goes on which hand?

My results:
Simc:
RotFC on mainhand sims 400 dps higher.
RotFC being applied by soul reaper leads to a noticeable increase in uptime, from 74.34% to 76.48%.
Razor ice hits for the same amount on either weapon (835), but is cast more often with razor ice on the mainhand, 497.6 counts versus 466.7. This difference happens to be the exact same numner of soul reapers (31), so we can presume that razor ice change happens because of the lack of SR hits. However, in the sim, this still leads to a net 400 dps loss.

In-game:
Note: Not using log as they seem to not be recording every attack. Recount data will hopefully suffice. Including logs anyway in the hope they show the same trend.
10 minutes on a training dummy, no procs of any kind.

RI in offhand:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wic6uw8lwqimr03u/details/10/?s=500&e=1175
728 melee attacks, 134 miss, 594 melee attacks that actually hit.
291 RI hits

Assuming a perfect ratio of offhand to mainhand attacks, and that RI only procs on the weapon using it, we would expect 297 RI, but whether due to a reporting error or more misses on the offhand, we get 291. Aceptable difference.
RI damage averaged 484.
Tooltip says RI does "2% of weapon damage"
My weapon damage is listed on the weapon as 7334-13623, which averages at 10478.5 damage. 2% of this is 209 damage.
My weapon damage is listed on the character screen as 14025-20313 on the mainhand, and 7012-10157 on the offhand. This averages at 17169 and 8584.5, respectively. 2% of which is 172 and 343 dmg, respectively.
Now, being frost damage, RI is buffed by frost's mastery, which for me is 41.41%, bringing it up to an expected 485 damage, right where it actually is.
Interestingly, RI does not seem to be buffed by RI's debuff on the training dummy.

RI in mainhand:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wic6uw8lwqimr03u/details/10/?s=1161&e=1880
758 melee attacks, 149 miss, 609 melee attacks that actually hit.
604 RI hits
This is odd.

Assuming a perfect ratio of offhand to mainhand attacks, and that RI only procs on the weapon using it, we would expect 305 RI, we get 302*2. Assuming 302 to 305 is reporting or more misses on mainhand, the number of RI has DOUBLED.
RI damage averaged 485.
Tooltip says RI does "2% of weapon damage"
My weapon damage is still listed on the weapon as 7334-13623, which averages at 10478.5 damage. 2% of this is 209 damage.
My weapon damage is still listed on the character screen as 14025-20313 on the mainhand, and 7012-10157 on the offhand. This averages at 17169 and 8584.5, respectively. 2% of which is 172 and 343 dmg, respectively.
Now, being frost damage, RI is buffed by frost's mastery, which for me is 41.41%, bringing it up to an expected 485 damage, right where it actually is.

Additional data:
RI does not change damage despite swapping to normal rotation, while it procs of every weapon based ability, it remains 485 on average.
RI seems to proc once per non-melee weapon based attack regardless of which weapon has the enchant, with the exception of soul reaper, which I was unable to test on the training dummy, but presume it will only proc when it's on the main-hand.

Conclusion:
RI procs on every weapon based hit when the enchant is on the main-hand weapon, but only procs on either mainhand or offhand (not sure which), when RI is on the offhand. This is not reflected accurately in simC, and napkin maths out to be a 566 dps loss.

Either RI is supposed to proc of both weapons melees, or it's not. In either case, the behavior changing when the arm that holds the rune-forge changes is unexpected, and prevents us from determining which runeforge should go on which arm.
Also, RI not benefitting from the 10% increased frost damage taken debuff seems odd. Of course, it's possible that is an oversight on my part, some sort of frost damage reduction the training dummies have that reduces the frost damage they take by the exact same amount that RI debuff is supposed to increase it.

In either case, I would greatly appreciate if you could inform me as to the intendedness of this, and whether a fix is coming, to allow me to properly advise other death knights. Thank you for your time.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
You can see this strange doubling pretty clearly in a raid encounter here:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-iwnmdai75z21vnb8/spell/50401/?s=3464&e=4127

I had razorice MH, fallen crusader OH, and Necrus had fallen crusader MH, razorice OH.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]