WoW Setup "Updating Blizzard Launcher"

61 Human Hunter
I just want to play :( last few days i haven't been able to because of the "Launcher Update" keeps stopping at 2/3 for hours!

I don't know what to do :(
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Hey Valliara,

Have you tried some of our troubleshooting steps for what you're experiencing? They have been know to help in situations like yours.

Battle.net Update Agent Troubleshooting
Reply Quote
61 Human Hunter
I actually just did. I had to the "World of Warcraft Optimizing" It worked! I can play now :)
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Sweet! Glad you can play again. :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Same problem, I've tried a bunch of solutions, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm actually scared that I may have deleted something I wasn't supposed to. So, now the real question is: How long should I wait to see if it works before uninstalling and reinstalling? So frustrating!!! Same thing happened to me last night as well and all I had to do was clear history and cache/cookies and I got past the launcher no problem.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Furrybottom, if you continue to experience this after getting through successfully a few times, you likely have a permissions error. If that is the case, the following steps should alleviate any permissions related problems you have:

Note: The addage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. If you can now successfully log into the game without issue, do not perform the steps below. Only perform these troubleshooting steps if you continue to have any kind of failures using the Launcher.

Resetting Permissions

1) Navigate to the folder containing your World of Warcraft folder, and then highlight your World of Warcraft folder in the Finder.

2) Right click the World of Warcraft folder icon and select Get Info.

3) Click the Padlock icon at the bottom of the Get Info window and enter your administrator password (this authenticates you as an administrator).

4) In the Sharing and Permissions tab, select the Everybody group and choose Read and Write option in the Privileges pulldown menu. Make sure you are working with the pulldown menu on the same line as the Everybody group.

5) Click the Cogwheel icon at the bottom of the window and select Apply to enclosed items. When it asks you to confirm this, select OK. Close the Get Info window.

Your permissions are now set properly for World of Warcraft and all of its game files.

6) Navigate to your /Users/Shared folder in the Finder.

7) Right click the Blizzard folder and select Get Info.

8) Repeat steps #3 through #5 for this folder, then close the window.

9) Right click the Battle.net folder and select Get Info.

10) Repeat steps #3 through #5 for this folder, then close the window.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
This is the first time the Launcher has done this to me. I logged out and back in 10 minutes later

to find the Blizzard Launcher at 70% and holding. Its been over an hour now without any

change. I put a ticket in but that could take up to 48 hours it says. Boooo Any ideas that have

not been posted yet for this fix. Thanks for any help. :)
Reply Quote
59 Blood Elf Death Knight
:/ my WoW When i try to load it the thing says *Checking For Updates* And its like 2/3 of da way done :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
FYI everyone, this is actually just a permissions issue. You don't need to do any of the stuff posted above. I very much mistrust 3rd party websites, so I'd advise you to avoid them altogether as well.

Here is the short description for code nerds:

1) you have a permissions problem
2) go into the directory with the affected file
3) look at the ownership of the files around that file to see who the right owner is
4) change all files to the correct owner

Here is the long description for normal people:

1) Log in as an administrative user on your Mac.
2) Open Terminal (hold down an COMMAND+SPACE to open Spotlight, type Terminal, hit enter).
3) Become the root user by typing:

sudo su -

4) It will prompt you for a password. Use the administrative user's password.
5) Type this:

cd /Applications/World\ of\ Warcraft/Updates/

6) Type this:

ls -al

NOTE) That is an "l" as in list. This command lists all the files in the Updates directory and shows their owners and groups.
Your output will look something like this:

iMac:Updates root# ls -al
total 609240
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root admin 13639232 Mar 19 21:44 wow-0-16716-OSX-final.MPQ
-rwxr-xr-x 1 dorkuser admin 13637107 Mar 23 12:37 wow-0-16733-OSX-final.MPQ
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rightuser admin 13640065 Apr 9 08:34 wow-0-16769-OSX-final.MPQ
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rightuser admin 13636469 Apr 21 18:59 wow-0-16826-OSX-final.MPQ
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rightuser admin 40596379 May 21 14:50 wow-0-16977-OSX-final.MPQ
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rightuser admin 40600582 May 21 19:03 wow-0-16981-OSX-final.MPQ
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rightuser admin 40678461 May 22 19:01 wow-0-16983-OSX-final.MPQ
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rightuser admin 40676945 May 23 22:18 wow-0-16992-OSX-final.MPQ
drwxrwxrwx 20 dorkuser admin 680 Jun 1 22:33 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rightuser admin 40634005 Jun 11 21:24 wow-0-17055-OSX-final.MPQ
-rwxr-xr-x 1 rightuser admin 54166419 Jun 26 07:58 wow-0-17116-OSX-final.MPQ
drwxrwxrwx 12 dorkuser admin 408 Jun 26 09:42 .

NOTE) This looks ugly, but trust me you can understand it. Each line (left-to-right) of data represents a file. The 3rd column (up-and-down) of data tells you who owns the files. In my case you can see that most of the files are owned by "rightuser". In a couple cases the file is owned by "dorkuser". In one case, the file is owned by "root". The file that is giving us the error is owned by "dorkuser". Clearly I want all my files to be owned by "rightuser" since those files aren't having any problems.

NOTE) PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THE USERNAMES ON YOUR COMPUTER WILL BE DIFFERENT FROM MINE

7) Now we just need to change the owner of the files in here to all be the correct user (in my case "rightuser"). To do this we use the chown command as follows:

chown -R rightuser *

NOTE) That is a capital R. Case matters.

DONE) Now you should be able to run the Launcher with no problem.
Edited by Khaliah on 6/26/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
^ This person is a freaking genius
inb4 account gets hacked.
Reply Quote
Can someone please post the new 5.4 direct link for the patch for Macs? I can't get mine to install at all. It keeps saying "Failed to install patch. Please try again later." I really don't feel like re-installing the game for the 5678899th time this year.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Can someone please post the new 5.4 direct link for the patch for Macs? I can't get mine to install at all. It keeps saying "Failed to install patch. Please try again later." I really don't feel like re-installing the game for the 5678899th time this year.

Can you make a new thread for your issue.

According to your Armory you haven't logged in on this toon for almost a year. It could get too complicated for this thread.
Reply Quote
79 Draenei Mage
I'm totally fed up ... sometimes I can log in, other times I can't. I'm thinking of trashing the whole application and re-downloading from scratch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I found this on the internet and works for me.

For whatever reason, Internet Explorer (which I never use) was set to "work offline". For whatever reason, with Internet Explorer set to work offline, the Diablo 3 installer was failing to do anything other than time out.

I disabled "work offline" by unchecking "Work Offline" in the file menu (available by pressing the ALT key in newer versions of Windows/Internet Explorer);

Once this option was disabled, everything worked first time.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Triell, that doesn't work on OS X (this is the Mac Tech Support forum). :)
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
21 Human Hunter
Every time the launcher runs, it says the game is up to date and then crashes. I've tried every permission check out there, and my permissions are correct.

Anyone have any ideas besides fixing the permissions?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
Every time the launcher runs, it says the game is up to date and then crashes. I've tried every permission check out there, and my permissions are correct.

Anyone have any ideas besides fixing the permissions?

Can you make a new thread for your issue.
Reply Quote
16 Goblin Shaman
I would like to know what command to type into the that command prompt that allowed me access to area where i could activate secondary and what was it I held down to pull up prompt?
Reply Quote
Im having a different problem. when I downloaded the game everything installed correctly because I am still able to play the game. the only thing is, when I downloaded it online, it only gave me the setup icon to click on to open the game and start playing. idk why, but I cant have addons now because the only thing on my laptop for WOW is the setup and I REALLY need some addons atm. any ideas? ive downloaded this in the past online and its given me the full folders etc but now its not?? please help.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I have problem the same u Andaer . but i can not find a answer for solve it . can some help ?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]