..Haste>Crit=Mastery question.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I was wondering if reforging into mastery is worth it for the extra damage bonus over crit FOR PVP!

When I am reforged into mastery I have around 36% mastery, but only 19.7% crit with Inquisition up. When I am reforged into crit I have around 28% mastery, and 23% crit with Inquisition up.

Which do you prefer and why?
Edited by Karandras on 3/19/2013 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Generally I prefer mastery, as it's more reliable, but I do whichever sims higher.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Personally, I prefer mastery for the flat, consistent bonus damage; simming for stat weights usually says crit, though. It hasn't really mattered much to me yet, though, since I don't quite have the gear to forge into one or the other after haste.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I think the idea is that crit will also help your healing, which is a big part of the Ret toolkit. I'm bad though, don't listen to me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Is this pvp or pve?

PvP I say crit

PvE I say mastery
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For PvE, crit and mastery are effectively interchangeable. Their weights are very close together. You can reforge toward whichever sims higher in your gear, or just whichever one you prefer. Of course, haste should always be preferred in reforging if the piece doesn't have it already.

For PvP, mastery will give you bigger bursts, while crit will give you more frequent bursts. Crit also helps your healing. PvP can't be broken down quantitatively in the same way PvE DPS can, so there's much more room for preference and playstyle here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I personally prefer crit for the healing boost, especially in RBGs where a crit FoL with 3 stacks of selfless healer will effectively function as a lay on hands for a healer that's getting trained. But if you're just doing arenas or have 3 unkillable healers in your guild, mastery might be the better choice for higher consistent damage.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh sorry guys, I meant for PvP! Do you guys think there are certain talents that work well with people who prefer mastery over crit? I assume playing with Sanctified Wrath while reforged into mastery might be a bit better than with crit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As far as talents go there's not a whole lot of real flexibility for rets. Holy Avenger favors mastery as your TV will hit harder, but selfless healer favors crit for more healing. I suppose you could argue that SW would also favor crit due to the healing buff.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
03/19/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Grôgnárd
Personally, I prefer mastery for the flat, consistent bonus damage; simming for stat weights usually says crit, though.

I dabble on crit for tonight, forging up to 15% It lead to several K dps increase. (This is again for my spec and gear by no means meant for all ret paladins)

Definitely each paladin much sim or tinker with their character to find their sweet spot in stats.
As mentioned before, a piece can change your stat weight.

Go with Mastery for pvp, cant go wrong with the flat boost to your burst damage ability.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It's all about preference really. Do you spec Selfless Healer and like throwing offheals to keep other players up? Go crit>mastery. If you want your nukes to pack a higher little punch every time you use them, go mastery>crit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Crit is way better, imo. It covers everything we do. While mastery only effects certain abilities.

Plus mastery still double dips vs resil, i believe. Meaning that resil decreases the initial hit and then the extra mastery dmg. So you dont get the full benefit as we would in pve.

I switched to crit and have not looked back. Sure its RNG (which i am not a fan of really), but with inq up our crit chance floats around 25%. 1/4 are pretty good odds.

Also, when you burst and get a nice string of crits its a beautiful thing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Related, we have read feedback that certain mechanics, such as Retribution's mastery, Hand of Light, are double-dipping from resilience. If this happened, then your attack would be mitigated by resilience and then the mastery proc (which is supposed to be a percentage of the main attack) would also be mitigated by resilience. However, we can find no evidence that this is actually happening. In our testing, Hand of Light is never mitigated by resilience a second time. If anyone has additional information, please share.

According to blizzard, hand of light isn't reduced by resil.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]