Interacting with NPCs not working properly.

(Locked)

100 Dwarf Hunter
05/04/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Danndann
Can you all try something for me if you're still seeing this behavior. When you see it happening trigger a natural Logout using the Logout button. Then log back in, and let me know if it's still occurring.

I have done this before. It fixes the problem but only temporarily.
Ya very temporary. Like one click on a vendor then it's back again.
100 Night Elf Priest
Still happening. VERY frustrating.

At the moment I cannot complete "A Perfect Costume" quest because I cannot click the dialogue with the NPC. It is interesting because I can "talk" to the table, select a hide, mud and thread normally. However, when I then turn the materials to NPC Thelaron Direneed, it is just impossible to speak to him. The window instantly closes as it has been doing for some months now on many days.

After a log out and a log in, I can interact normally one single time. Then it is back to trying to quickly click on the dialogue half a screen away. Or waiting 20 seconds to log out, plus whatever time it takes to log in again.

It seems to happen more often when latency is higher. At the moment, 183ms (home) 439ms (world).

Note: For quest accepting and delivering, I learned about and started using an add-on called "Jamba" as a workaround -- it is not really meant for this but it has an option to auto-accept quests so it serves as a workaround while this bug is not fixed.
Edited by Zébuscapé on 5/5/2013 5:15 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Monk
Can you all try something for me if you're still seeing this behavior. When you see it happening trigger a natural Logout using the Logout button. Then log back in, and let me know if it's still occurring.

I have tried this as well, and it's still happening after logging back in. (Random question: Is there really another way to logout other than a 'natural' logout? o.O Maybe I'm a noob for doing it, but I've always hit Esc and then the logout button.)
100 Night Elf Druid
Looks as if most of us have helped to try to troubleshoot this problem, but I will speak for myself only here... those that feel the same way, then chime in if you want.

Why is it taking so long to fix ?

First reported 3/11/2013

It is now May 6th.. never seen this type or game breaking problem, go on so dang long.

Sapperwix, could you update us please, as this has gone on long enough. :(

Heck by now Bliz is gonna have to buy us a new mouse, due to ours wearing ours out so fast.
click, click, click, click...... sigh....
Edited by Kaela on 5/6/2013 5:17 PM PDT
Still happening as of 5/7/2013. I went around to 36 vendors in the Goblin Slums as well as in the Valley of Honor, and most required 2-4 clicks.
It should be noted that removing the WTF, Interface, and Cache as well as doing a /console reloadui and disabling addons does NOT work. It doesn't matter which order it's done in - it doesn't help.
90 Pandaren Monk
It should be noted that removing the WTF, Interface, and Cache as well as doing a /console reloadui and disabling addons does NOT work. It doesn't matter which order it's done in - it doesn't help.

Even with a fresh, clean, sparkly new and untouched install it still happens. I had to reformat my entire hard drive not too long ago (for an unrelated problem *grumbles*) and I reinstalled everything from scratch: Windows, WoW, literally everything. I backed up my files and settings of course to put back in later, but even with everything freshly installed off the DVD and patched (100% downloaded and applied before I left the laucher and opened WoW itself for the first time) with no addons, settings, or changes whatsoever it still happened.

I haven't tried a complete, fresh reinstall after the first attempt at fixing this was made, do you think that will help/fix anything Sapperwix?
100 Night Elf Druid
Is anyone that is having the problem, also testing on the PTR ? I don't use the PTR.

Wondering if it is happening there.
Quality Assurance
A more comprehensive fix has been generated and will be applied in an upcoming patch. I again apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and continued reports.

As I've mentioned previously the issue is mostly to do with the caching of data. When you're unable to interact with an NPC (tradeskill windows share this problem) the client is attempting to cache their text, a variety of things can slow or stop that process. The fix should resolve those issues. In the mean time I don't recommend deleting your cache unless necessary as it will cause this issue to occur more frequently.
Edited by Sapperwix on 5/7/2013 2:35 PM PDT
05/07/2013 02:29 PMPosted by Sapperwix
A more comprehensive fix has been generated and will be applied in an upcoming patch. I again apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and continued reports.

Blizzard has been touting quicker patches and around the last week of March there were near daily mini-patches. Is there a reason this can't be deployed promptly too?
87 Human Warrior
Two months! Seems like we are playing a free game. "well, since it's free, they can wait till next patch"... ... shame...
90 Pandaren Monk
While I am very happy that a fix has been found, I am equally disappointed it has to wait for "an upcoming patch" to be applied.

Are you allowed to tell us if it has to wait for a major patch or a minor patch? Like, will it be applied with the next minipatch, or does it have to wait all the way till 5.3?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]