Newly 90, can I use pvp Bow in pve?

90 Orc Hunter
Title says it all, just starting to gear up for some endgame fun. I will eventually get pvp set going but my primary focus is pve.

Would the pvp bow be useful for beginning pve. I have a decent green bow right now. I am just not sure what the +pvp power stat is and how that will effect the bow's use in pve.

Thank you for any advice.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
PvP Power and PvP Resilience provide no benefit in PvE content. However, they also do not count against an item's stat budget, so you'll get similar amounts of primary and secondary stats on PvP gear as you'll get on PvE gear at the same iLevel. PvP Power and PvP Resilience ensure that PvE gear is universally worse than PvP gear in PvP. To ensure that PvP gear is universally worse in PvE than PvE gear, PvP gear has a lower iLevel for gear at the tier/season.

That said, if the PvP bow is significantly higher iLevel than your PvE, it'll probably provide a significant upgrade. Also note above that I did not say PvP gear is useless in PvE, or vice versa. It is now perfectly acceptable to use either set of gear in either situation. The iLevel and stat budget changes take care of that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Thank you for the reply. I have a good supply of honor built up and I think that bow will be the best use of it at the moment. Seeing all the +pvp power just made me nervous that I was going to waste a good section of the bows stats.

Now I just have to pick a faction to work on rep for.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
If the RNG hates you as much as it does me then it may be your only option for a while.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Now I just have to pick a faction to work on rep for.

Start with the Klaxxi and Golden Lotus. Once you get to Revered with the GL, you can start on Shado-Pan and August Celestials. These will offer you the best gear upgrades. Mostly cosmetic rewards are available at Exalted, so Revered is high enough for almost all of the gear.

Also, if you are able to, start working on the Isle of Thunder quests to earn rep with the Sunreaver Offensive (is that the Horde equivalent to the Kirin Tor Offensive?). You'll also want to unlock the Shado-Pan Assault faction, though rep for that faction can be earned only in the Throne of Thunder raid. The Isle of Thunder quests might be a bit much for you to handle gear-wise, but the rewards are better than the original rep factions.
Reply Quote
35 Troll Rogue
PvP Power and PvP Resilience provide no benefit in PvE content. However, they also do not count against an item's stat budget, so you'll get similar amounts of primary and secondary stats on PvP gear as you'll get on PvE gear at the same iLevel. PvP Power and PvP Resilience ensure that PvE gear is universally worse than PvP gear in PvP. To ensure that PvP gear is universally worse in PvE than PvE gear, PvP gear has a lower iLevel for gear at the tier/season.

That said, if the PvP bow is significantly higher iLevel than your PvE, it'll probably provide a significant upgrade. Also note above that I did not say PvP gear is useless in PvE, or vice versa. It is now perfectly acceptable to use either set of gear in either situation. The iLevel and stat budget changes take care of that.

That is true for armor pieces, but not for weapons. There is a very large amount of PVP power on PVP weapons at the cost of secondary points.

For example,

My ilvl 478 PVP Bow (which is the 470 double upgraded before 5.2 hit), has for PVE stats:

1034 Agility
690 Crit

The LFR ilvl 476 Bow from MSV (2 ilvls lower than my PVP bow) has:

1015 Agility
745 Crit
561 Exp

You have to do the math to determine if the increase in the weapon's base dps and agility is worth the loss of secondary stats.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
That is true for armor pieces, but not for weapons. There is a very large amount of PVP power on PVP weapons at the cost of secondary points.

Looks like they're counting Resilience as a secondary stat on weapons but not on other gear. I'd never noticed that before now.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Queue for the Scenario Arena of Annihilation and get Cloudbender Kobo's Chilled Crossbow

Walk in, accept quest, Bam, 450 crossbow.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
There's a BOE 450 ilvl gun you can find in the AH too.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
20 ilvls of weapon damage is going to beat any extra secondary stat rating any time, all the time for every spec. Not sure on 4 ilvls, that one's a little tougher, particularly when considering SV and BM are much more reliant on raw AP rather than weapon damage.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
03/16/2013 05:02 AMPosted by Delaredia
20 ilvls of weapon damage is going to beat any extra secondary stat rating any time, all the time for every spec.

Exactly. The prejudice against PvP weapaons and armor in PvE is pretty dumb. If you have to choose between a 463 blue weapon from a heroic dungeon and a 476 PvP bow, you choose the 476 PvP bow everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Klaxxi rep bow is a pretty good upgrade over 450 quest bow and crafted bow. It also is a slight DPS gain over PvP honor bow.
Reply Quote
If the RNG hates you as much as it does me then it may be your only option for a while.

You and me both.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Absolutely. Some people actually farm for pvp weapons to help them. you wont get the benefits of the pvp stats ( like power and resilience ) but its ok to do that. I still pve in some of my pvp gear until I get valor items or drops that are the pve equivalent.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]