Healing, perhaps

90 Human Monk
So I've been thinking about trying out healing lately and I wanted to get an idea of what end game healing was like. What kind of things should I be looking out for? How much different do I have to react to a bosses abilities as a healer as apposed to being a DPS like I am right now? My concerns are mostly that I won't be doing very much as a healer and that all I would be doing is just spamming a heal on the tank the whole fight. Is that assumption right or is there more that I have to do? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Just get some caster gear and do a LFR. It's so easy you can't fail and it'll give you a good idea of what you'll be doing without having 24 other people getting mad if you can't pull it off properly.

But to answer your question it's the same thing as doing 5mans. You just watch HP bars, use your intuition and judgment to decide which heals to cast on who, and don't stand in fire.

Oh and ignore the clowns who tell you that you need addons and/or macros and/or key modifiers.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Oh and ignore the clowns who tell you that you need addons and/or macros and/or key modifiers.

You don't, but they're incredibly helpful. The standard Blizzard UI doesn't display the information I want to see in a concise manner.

03/17/2013 12:27 AMPosted by Dasarbiter
What kind of things should I be looking out for?

Mechanics. Be mindful of bosses with enrage abilities. Interrupt stuff. Stay out of the fire.

How much different do I have to react to a bosses abilities as a healer as apposed to being a DPS like I am right now?

For example, as a DPS, a boss's Enrage doesn't really affect you. For tanks and healers, it means more damage is being dealt, faster. Tanks start worrying more about damage mitigation, and healers stay on their toes to keep the tank up.

My concerns are mostly that I won't be doing very much as a healer and that all I would be doing is just spamming a heal on the tank the whole fight. Is that assumption right or is there more that I have to do?

Sometimes, that's all you'll need to do. It depends on the tank. A well-geared, competent tank will need less of your attention, allowing you to DPS a bit. A stupid, ill-geared tank will need your attention constantly. Since DPS will also take damage during encounters, you'll be healing them as well. If something needs dispelled, it's your job.

Get a set of healing gear and run some 5-mans. If that seems to overwhelming, reroll, level to 15, and run a few dungeons. Then, try MoP dungeons again.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
As a healer, end game content is largely about using foresight. Yes, you heal people, but that swiftly becomes automatic (big damage is a big heal, small damage is an efficient heal, and so forth).

While raiding, though it depends upon the boss, I spend a lot of my time looking over at DBM (Deadly Boss Mobs) and watching when certain events are forthcoming. MSV and especially Heart of Fear are heavily healer centric: you have to not only do everything that the dps has to do, i.e, stay out of fire, but you also have to watch Tank effects (when a big hit is about to hit the tank, they shield themselves, but you also have to have heavy heals or cooldowns prepped), and then your own stuff. A healer is always looking 15 seconds ahead, at least, and making sure they and their companion's health bars are prepared. They're usually not. Keeping the bars green is like trying to grab a fistful of water . Why, DPS? Why for must you be attracted to death zones? You are not a magnet! You do not have poles! There are no shinies over there!).

Healing is a huge responsibility, as you literally hold others' lives in your hands (mwahahaha! >:D ). It's very rewarding, though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
all I would be doing is just spamming a heal on the tank the whole fight.

This is occasionally true in a 5-man, but current raids have tons of raid damage. So you'll be spamming AOE heals instead (or worse, frantically trying to do both at once while also moving out of fire).

03/17/2013 04:23 AMPosted by Nahuul
Interrupt stuff.

How many healers have an interrupt that can be used from range? How many are even likely to be targeting the thing that might need to be interrupted?

Can't you expect ANYTHING from DPS anymore? FFS, there's 3 times as many of them and they all have interrupts and are already targeting the mobs. Healers have enough responsibilities without throwing in interrupts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/17/2013 05:58 AMPosted by Calonderiel
all I would be doing is just spamming a heal on the tank the whole fight.

This is occasionally true in a 5-man, but current raids have tons of raid damage.

There are heroics where only the tank takes damage? Ffs, I want those groups for once.

Basically, OP, you're going to be constantly dealing with DPS (and less often, tanks) who are too focused on the boss to bother to move out of mechanics that kill them quickly. Many bosses and mobs also have abilities that throw out random hurt to party members even when they're properly aggroed, as well.

Essentially, how much you have to do will depend on how geared/observant your party is. If you have undergeared people, then you'll be a bit busier (although if they're smart about not taking avoidable damage, it won't be so bad). However, even overgeared peeps can be terrible to heal if they're standing in the bad (or as a tank, not using any sort of mitigation).

I'll agree with Wards...DBM is majorly helpful for watching upcoming damage spikes and like. As a DPS, it doesn't require as much attention, except for maybe switching targets, but a healer needs to constantly be aware of what's incoming.

Sort of off-topic, but getting in to a healer's mindset will probably make you easier to heal when you do DPS. I'd like to think that most decent healers are better about avoiding damage because they know what a pain it is to heal back up. (Those DPS that stand in crap all the time? Many healers will just let them die, because oftentimes, the damage requires spamming inefficient heals and focusing on just them.)

How many healers have an interrupt that can be used from range? How many are even likely to be targeting the thing that might need to be interrupted?

Shamans are amazing like that. <3 (But no really, you can't depend on DPS for anything, ever.)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]