Maelstrom Weapon. No Graphic? No GUI?

90 Draenei Shaman
Why is Maelstrom weapon treated like a passive/side mechanic when it is, in fact, the key mechanic for Enhancemen Shaman?

Shadow Priests have Shadow Orbs that get a GUI element, have a unique graphic, and even a Glyph to change said graphic.
Warlocks have Soul Stones, with a GUI element and, again, two appearances for them.
Paladins have Holy Power and a corresponding GUI element.
Death Knights have the Runes.
There are likley others I am missing.

My point is only that Maelstrom weapon is a simple buff icon and I'm forced to use WeakAuras to even be able to notice it (although I love WeakAuras) amongst all the other buffs that pop up in Heroics/Raids/PvP.

Not only does it lack a GUI element, but it lacks any sort of in-world graphical component as well. While a GUI element is clearly the priority, it would be great to have it be graphical as well.
Might I suggest having it arc lightning off the Shaman similar to the Paladins Hammer spell (Not sure of the name, drops a big hammer that has beams of holy energy arcing off in an area around it) but with a smaller distance between the Shaman and where the lightning lands. The more stacks, the more frequently the lightning arcs.

I've seen arcing lightning attached to players before (Cataclysm enemy mechanic I believe, maybe WOTLK) so I know it's possible.
Edited by Ayanama on 3/19/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
3 Human Warrior
Am I missing something???
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
I think he's talking about enchantment shaman or maybe holly paldins
Edited by Advanced on 3/19/2013 8:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Not only does it late a GUI element

It has one at full stacks, surely you've noticed?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
What's an enhancement priest?
Reply Quote
3 Human Warrior
03/19/2013 09:30 AMPosted by Akatia
Not only does it late a GUI element

It has one at full stacks, surely you've noticed?

This... That's why I was wondering if the original post was a joke or not...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I am not sure what you are talking about but while we are on the topic of shaman gui elements, I would really like a quick way way to know what proc I got from my EB (haste,mastery,crit)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I believe he is talking about the resource gui that Paladins and Priests and Locks have.

I like the notification @ 5 and don't really see the need for the gui. I rarely use it on my other toons unless I'm bored. Others may value it differently I suppose.

But.... what I would like to see is to have some kind of post 5 stack storage similar to what the other resource based classes got. Rogues, Pallys and Locks (prior to this patch) all has ways to push beyond the max and store it up (pally storing 5 stacks of holy power). 10 stacks would be to much, but storing 7 or 8 would be a nice buff that would really help out in pvp. I've seen this discussed before.

That said, to the OP: you are an enhancement shaman, you should just be glad that your crap works....
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Writing posts at 4 AM makes me make strange errors.

I was talking about Enhancement Shamans Maelstrom Weapon stacks, of course.

I know there is a warning at 5 stacks, but you don't always want to use spells at 5 stacks.
I was pointing out other classes with other stacking buff mechanics and how they all had GUI elements to tell you how many stacks there were, yet Maelstrom only has the text one at 5 stacks.

Shadow Priests have a text popup at 3 Orbs as well, and they also have a Shadow Orb indicator below their mana bar. A custom GUI element.

Maelstrom is arguably MORE important then Shadow Orbs are more skills use it, yet it only has a 5 stack text warning.

The rest of the post is about an in-world visual aspect.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Maelstrom is arguably MORE important then Shadow Orbs are more skills use it, yet it only has a 5 stack text warning.

I disagree. Abilities and the spec as a whole are based around these resources. Some abilities grant charges while other consume them. Maelstrom Weapon procs off attacks and not specific abilities and the abilities that consume them are limited and based entirely on situation.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
A PvE Shadow Priest has ONE ability that consumes them.
Against bosses you have one ability that generates them and it has a cast time.

It's easier to keep track of then Maelstrom, and yet has more tools to do so.

As a EnhShaman I need to know exactly how many I have ay any given time, because it may make more sense to quickly cast at 3 or 4 stacks then to risk waiting and lose the DPS/Healing opportunity.

I do have a Priest and I did level her as Shadow within the same week I leveled this Shaman to 90, so I know Orbs.
Reply Quote

Not at all. Losing a Shadow Orb due to bad play has a bigger effect than losing a couple of MW stacks due to latency or RNG in a Stormstrike/WF stack generation. Similarly, using 3 Orbs in Psychic Horror instead of Devouring Plague has a bigger impact on your damage than using 5 MW on Hex or a heal does.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I did say arguably.
Meaning it's close enough in importance that it could be argued about.

I don't want to actually argue about that any more then I have, becasue then that's all that the thread will be. My gaffs and typos in the first post were bad enough.

The point is, Maelstrom is important enough for Blizzard to sink the hour or two into making visual elements for it.
Edited by Ayanama on 3/19/2013 2:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
A PvE Shadow Priest has ONE ability that consumes them.

That's really beside the point. They have abilities that generate them. Paladins have abilities that generate hopo. There's no rng to it. You hit Crusader Strike, you get hopo. There's no rppm factor in that or shadow orbs. Maelstrom Weapon is too unpredictable to demand a UI element and only procs off attacks and not actual abilities (except those that are attacks).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
How does the RNG factor make it less deserving of a easy way to track it?
If anything it increases the demand for an easy to to check your current MW level.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm sure someone could write an addon that displayed MW stacks below your bars like Holy Power, soul shards, or Chi. If it was good enough, and/or popular enough, Blizzard might incorporate the idea into the default UI in a future patch. Several mainline UI improvements have started out as popular addons, including, IIRC, things as basic as showing quest destinations on the map/minimap, and the total number of available inventory slots on the backpack icon.
Reply Quote
People seem to have reading comprehension problems OP. That said...
i agree with you!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm sure someone could write an addon that displayed MW stacks below your bars like Holy Power, soul shards, or Chi. If it was good enough, and/or popular enough, Blizzard might incorporate the idea into the default UI in a future patch. Several mainline UI improvements have started out as popular addons, including, IIRC, things as basic as showing quest destinations on the map/minimap, and the total number of available inventory slots on the backpack icon.

Indeed.
And I do use WeakAuras to display mine, but I shouldn't have to use an addon to have any chance of keeping track.

Also, sadly, there's no possible way to do an in-world graphic with addons.

People seem to have reading comprehension problems OP. That said...
i agree with you!

Despite typos and whatnot I thought I got my point across better then the first few replies would imply.
Edited by Ayanama on 3/19/2013 9:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I shouldn't have to use an addon to have any chance of keeping track.

You don't; you can track it in the buff area. That's not exactly *easy*, but you can do it if you want to. Addons are optional.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
How does the RNG factor make it less deserving of a easy way to track it?
If anything it increases the demand for an easy to to check your current MW level.

Because that's the difference between a resource and a proc. MW isn't a resource.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]