The Crumbled Chamberlain.

(Locked)

90 Human Paladin
I never did the starting quests on my Alt and went straight in second stage doing PvP Dailys.
My character doen's transform to jump the cliffs etc in that one zone. I have yet to complete the quest :(
90 Human Warlock
The best part of this quest is the achievement that requires you to finish it within 10 minutes!
90 Human Paladin
Yay. A quest that has some challenge and requires effort.
I liked it.
The pieces are NOT impossible to get. It requires some THINKING and some practice.
Also, if a piece is taken. WAIT a few minutes until it's location cycles back. Not hard.
90 Orc Death Knight
When I found this quest, I liked it, noticed the head whispering insults and lol'd. Found the first piece in Court of Bones? On the roof of one of the buildings. Mini map showed the gear. Thought it was a static spawn. Then saw the gear in the Saurok area, tried jumping but of course the Saurok jump is massive and hard to gauge and overshot. Tried to circle back around and the gear disappeared. Realized then it was a random spawn and went hunting through the map. Saw another one and couldn't figure out how to get up. Then it disappeared as someone else looted. Finally saw a third and scrambled to get it before anyone else could.

I find it ironic, after Blizz's "we don't want players resenting questing/doing dailies with other players, competing for quest spawns" they put in a new quest that does EXACTLY that.

You forgot to continue the thought, "and fixed it so that you don't have to". The respawn time is relatively quick. ;)

Quick or not, does it still only spawn ONE part at a time? Seems to me that players are still competing for the same quest spawn, which again goes back to player complaints over 5.0 daily quest spawns, competing with other players for them and resenting questing with others.

edit:
Good news, we're applying a hotfix to address the Crumbled Chamberlain pieces respawn. It should be in after this morning's restarts. Pieces will then spawn in the same locations for that day, but will change locations the following and so on. This way, if someone snags the piece you're going for, it's not going to jump to a new location. You'll still be able to get it.

Ah, this is much better, the spawn rate isnt' just increased, it stays in the same spot.
Edited by Druga on 3/21/2013 9:52 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Hunter
Good news, we're applying a hotfix to address the Crumbled Chamberlain pieces respawn. It should be in after this morning's restarts. Pieces will then spawn in the same locations for that day, but will change locations the following and so on. This way, if someone snags the piece you're going for, it's not going to jump to a new location. You'll still be able to get it.

This is a good change. I'll probably still wait until 5.3 comes out to do this. That way most of the people will be off the island and I won't have to wait hours for a respawn on a quest that gives 20 gold and a stone. Already have a dozen stones and can't get parties to use them.
90 Night Elf Mage
Guess how I'm avoiding any headaches to this ...

Not doing Isle Dailies! OK, so I might do some Isle Dailies this weekend, but I'm not going to stress out over doing a quest that rewards 1/3 of an item to summon a mob that can get me nothing of great value.

Or you can do the dailies but not do that particular quest...

I think his/her point is that dailies do not feel very rewarding for doing them. I know they are a choice (let's not get into that discussion lol) however being rewarded with like 20g and 5 valor points just isn't fulfilling to me. Sure there is a mount/pets/gear when you get to a certain stance with that faction. But I'm not feeling rewarded for my efforts just from doing dailies in general.

Not to say others don't. I'm not asking for a goodie bag or something of that nature. Just my thoughts on it is all.
Edited by Ãshës on 3/21/2013 9:54 AM PDT
90 Draenei Death Knight

In truth, I actually just gave up on this quest when someone ninjared the piece I wanted so thank you for applying this fix, as in all seriousness, the minute something becomes too hard for me, I stop bothering. In short, if you didn't apply this fix, I would never get the quest done, I would have just abandoned it, no matter what reward you were offering afterwards as I don't pay 15 months to go through that kind of headache.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I love this quest. Haven't gotten the hair yet, but I love the insults from the Chamberlain.

I actually got a compliment from him when I was kililng one of the named quest targets--absolutely hilarious when he's been talking about how worthless I am, and then he says..."well, ok. That was pretty cool."

Generally speaking, I like this one way better than the Temple of the Jade Serpent Sha Masks quest, where your character starts to doubt everything about them. "Everyone only pretends to like me" makes me feel sorry for Vyrin. "I've seen a Saurok fight with more panache than you" makes me giggle.
90 Gnome Mage
You forgot to continue the thought, "and fixed it so that you don't have to". The respawn time is relatively quick. ;)

You do realize on high population servers a quick respawn time means very little. I have seen 40 to 50 players standing around waiting for a respawn so I just move along rather than fight the lag monster and 50 other players for one drop.

Honestly I have no idea why you guys can't get it through your heads to stop making daily quests that require everyone to "gather" something. It only leads to anger, frustration and name calling which in turn further degrades the community.
For me this quest is one that you just let sit in the log and when you stumble across a piece while questing you feel all happy and pick it up.

I'm not even sure that I want to turn it in when (if) I ever finish it. I kinda like the Chamberlain's taunting. It's fun to have him around telling me how much I suck while I'm killing my 1000th troll.
90 Goblin Mage
My main problem with this quest is that it's platforming.

In an RPG.

Blizz, if you wanna make a platformer, by all means go ahead. But make it its own game, don't weave it into WoW. I hate platformers. I like RPGs. That's why I play WoW and not Super Mario Bros.

There's also the fact that the chamberlain is a massive jerk. I'd use more-accurate words, but I don't feel clean using them.

What's this I read about it being weekly? Screw that. Never doing it again. That jerk can stay in pieces. I don't care.
90 Undead Warlock
There's also the fact that the chamberlain is a massive jerk. I'd use more-accurate words, but I don't feel clean using them.

I agree with this. Random trolls and jerks ruin others' play experience enough, I don't need misc body parts in my bags telling me I'm a failure.
10 Troll Warlock
03/21/2013 08:24 AMPosted by Nethaera
Yeah, that first time was such a pain I only did it because I assumed it was one off, not that the chamberlain gets torn apart on a weekly basis and needs his parts retrieved. I don't care what fixes are happening, I'm never doing this quest again.

Putting it that way reminds me a bit of Prometheus who was doomed to have his liver eaten by an eagle every day for an eternity. I almost feel sorry for the Chamberlain now.
Since every week he's getting dismantled, wouldn't it be safer for him if we simply moved his statue to a better location where we he can be left alone? Why not simply reassemble him in the ToT raid or maybe he can come to life like those other statues and walk away. Because not only has he failed to guard whatever is in that cave because he's kind of immobile, but he can't even prevent himself from being broken week after week and his body parts strewn all over the island.

Being a one off quest makes the chamberlain into a character- an active agent in his own fate. A character that can reoccur in different situations and have a story to tell. A character that can further the overall story. Doing the same quest with him every week makes him nothing more than an incompetent pile of rocks that only exists to be a victim and to annoy us with his randomly spawning body parts.

Maybe after walking away from his pedestal after we put him back together he gets captured by the Shado-pan. Maybe they remove his legs so that he can't run off and for a time he fulfills the same sort of role that the captured Quillboar at Camp Taurajo did. Maybe he's more embittered by being made a statue than his initial quest let on. Maybe he's got some information or is willing to play spy. Or maybe he's just concerned the Thunder King isn't eating his vegetables now that he's not there to make sure he's eating right.

Yes, I am suggesting character development for an NPC because I found his quest such a PITA that I would never ever want to do it on a weekly basis.
90 Draenei Shaman

If it isn't going to hop spawn points and the respawn is quick, then can I ask why it wasn't simply changed into being a personal phased quest item?

I'm not understanding the design decision behind this quest.
90 Draenei Shaman
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Personally I LOVE this quest. Going around trying to figure out how to get to all the pieces was a fun little puzzle to me.

To each his own.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Do they have to despawn at all? I appreciate the change, but I still don't understand why they can't just be a static lootable object that changes every day. Doesn't this still encourage spawn camping and hoping you are the first one to click (and have the lowest latency)?
90 Pandaren Hunter
03/21/2013 09:55 AMPosted by Tatertawt

You do realize on high population servers a quick respawn time means very little. I have seen 40 to 50 players standing around waiting for a respawn so I just move along rather than fight the lag monster and 50 other players for one drop.

Honestly I have no idea why you guys can't get it through your heads to stop making daily quests that require everyone to "gather" something. It only leads to anger, frustration and name calling which in turn further degrades the community.

This... This is just poor quest design.
81 Draenei Mage
seems to me the pieces never despawn , when i did it tons of people were looting the same thing, so cry less and play the game
90 Orc Warrior
I gathered all the pieces, for the first time, within 20 mins with other people grabbing the pieces as well.

People will complain about anything these days.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
Boooo. It was a lot of fun running for those spawns of this guy. It was such simple and fun competition.

You obviously didn't try to do achievement on high pop server pre hotfix. Post hotfix the achievement is 100x easier now though. Very good hotfix indeed.

Do they have to despawn at all? I appreciate the change, but I still don't understand why they can't just be a static lootable object that changes every day. Doesn't this still encourage spawn camping and hoping you are the first one to click (and have the lowest latency)?

that is what it is now. the hotfix made it so each day, the spawn points are random but static for that whole day. Dave explained it in his tweet in greater detail. Also, when you loot it, it doesn't despawn for several seconds so several can loot it within a certain time frame. The respawn is also pretty quick too. I found almost no difficulty even on high pop to complete quest in 7 minutes last night after raid post hotfix.
Edited by Omegal on 3/21/2013 11:24 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]