new tanking specs

90 Draenei Death Knight
Do you think it would be possible to add new tanking specs to the game? I think enhancement shamans for instance, could make excellent tanks, but make it similar to what druids have, how druids have the option of four specs, why not do something more like this for other classes. Like, say that an enhance shaman chose a tanking option, that could set certain stats of their gear towards dodge, kind of like monks do at the moment, monk tanks can have full dps gear and still tank.

Thoughts anyone?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
We already have 5 tanking capable classes. Any particular reasons Blizzard should work in one more ?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Well...believe it or not, tanks seem to be harder to find on servers then healers at the moment, in LFR they are easy to find, but on most servers I'm on, I am seeing that tanks are constantly being called in trade to raid and stuff in /trade. Perhaps this is simply because Throne of Thunder is harder to tank then previous raids, I don't know.
Edited by Eliil on 3/20/2013 3:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I still believe that Warlocks should be able to tank.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
LOL! us tanks have alts... Me for example I have every class so I sure as hell ain't goin to sit at org and LFD / LFR all day. I got professions and other sh*t to do. Shams would make amazing tanks especially with an aggro from chainlightning with no cd... No one's jackin that aoe aggro from a shammy!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Blizz has their hands full trying to balance the classes/specs currently in-game. Raid spots in most guilds are highly competitive, and the introduction of Dk/Monk tanks has done little to alleviate que times for dps. As Berith mentioned, what would be the point?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I still believe that Warlocks should be able to tank.

We can tank, we just can't queue as a tank.

Say no to homogenization!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
1. More tank optoins won't make more tanks. Some people like to tank, most don't.

2. I love tanks, so give me more tank options so i can make more alts.

3: Earth Shaman, Duelist Rouge(professional fencer. Fencing is traditionallly defensive-minded), Abjurist Mage(a spellcaster. Tank. And not like glyhp of demon hunting i mean spell casts her way to victory. Abjuration is traidionally "School of protective and warding spells" in rpgs), Demon Hunter Warlock.(we already have the model. now buff and support it!)
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
People who want to tank, have tanks already.

You could give every class a tanking spec and there still would be a shortage.

Only a very few dedicated people like to play a PVE Group Only Support spec.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Combat rogue, frost mage, demo warlock and enhance shaman all should be tank specs.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I'd be all for an Enh Shaman Tanking spec. Just make the Earth Elemental a permanent pet permanent and -enhances- the shamans defensives capabilities.

4th Tree. Enhancement Earth Caller

Early Earth-Passive level 10-
The Earth Caller Shaman can summon Earth Elementals at level 10.

Earth Elemental Focus -Passive level 11
While Earth Elemental is active The enhancement shaman gains 23% extra Dodge and 10% damage reduction from all sources of damage.

Rock Biter weapon when imbued with a shaman's weapon now taunts the current target.
Agility Shields would be brought back.

Anyone care to be deeper elaborate ?

they'd be a High Dodge/Block tank class.

Just throwing off some awesome ideas...would love a brainstorm session here.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Fencing is traditionallly defensive-minded)
yeah, just don't watch that Olympic BS where neither person seems to know how to dodge parry, or anything else but thrust.

to me it ends up looking like, i thrust first, your dead, i get the points, even though their thrust would cause them to get run through by the other guy in a real fight.
Edited by Ynoesh on 3/20/2013 3:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

I don't consider being a Tank a support role...
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
I don't consider being a Tank a support role...
You are meatshield number #123134312 :P

I pay exclusively tanks. You are usually the leader but you still arent "killing" stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I pay exclusively tanks

I'll tank for you now !

PAY UP
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
03/20/2013 03:23 AMPosted by Ynoesh
Fencing is traditionallly defensive-minded)
yeah, just don't watch that Olympic BS where neither person seems to know how to dodge parry, or anything else but thrust.

to me it ends up looking like, i thrust first, your dead, i get the points, even though their thrust would cause them to get run through by the other guy in a real fight.

yeah and that's with foils to boot, no slashing or arcing strikes.

Rapier is where it's at, minute bladed edge for arcing strikes as well as piercing ones.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
I like the idea of a shaman being a good emergency tank, like the demonology warlock. That said, the game has plenty of tanks and I don't think adding a full time tank to the game would do anything but add extra work and balancing complications for blizz. They have their hands full already with 33 specs and a handful of alternative ways of playing specs (IE demo warlock and DW vs 2H for several melee classes) to be adding even more to their plate. Make everything we have balanced, then think about adding new stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Why I think no:

I like the idea of a shaman being a good emergency tank, like the demonology warlock. That said, the game has plenty of tanks and I don't think adding a full time tank to the game would do anything but add extra work and balancing complications for blizz. They have their hands full already with 33 specs and a handful of alternative ways of playing specs (IE demo warlock and DW vs 2H for several melee classes) to be adding even more to their plate. Make everything we have balanced, then think about adding new stuff.

I had one idea that I did not get much feedback on was adding more tank specs (keep reading ><) like how mages have 3 DPS specs a warrior can have 2 different tank specs to be played differently. So maybe having more selection of tank styles might get more tanks in the game, but there is that one issue of time it takes to balance them.

Blizzard already has a lot of PvP balancing issues so that should be sorted first.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
1. More tank optoins won't make more tanks. Some people like to tank, most don't.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/20/2013 03:09 AMPosted by Eliil
Well...believe it or not, tanks seem to be harder to find on servers then healers at the moment,

Well... believe it or not, more tank capable classes doesn't mean you'll get more tanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]