new tanking specs

90 Human Paladin
There are too many tanks in the game already. Try finding a spot in a raid guild as a tank.

The game has a tank glut. Not a tank shortage.

I know I've been passively looking and not finding anything. I'll have to actively start looking and then I guess begging will be an option...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Shamans are overdue but I can't see Blizzard going through with it. It would be nice to have another spec where my Shamans enhancement gear wouldn't be useless.
Reply Quote
Well...believe it or not, tanks seem to be harder to find on servers then healers at the moment

'Nilla - Alliance has 3 tanks Horde 2 (shammies could off off tank)...tanking shortage.
TBC - 3 tanks all around...Tanking shortage.
Wrath - New tanking class that everyone can play skipping 55 levels, and can tank in all three specs...Tanking shortage.
MoP - 5th tanking class introduced...Tanking shortage.
3 xpacs in the future - All 34 specs could have the ability to tank...Tanking shortage.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/20/2013 06:11 AMPosted by Solaru
'Nilla - Alliance has 3 tanks

No one wanted Paladin tanks after the Seal of Fury nerf and before the prot tree revamp of 2.0.1.

Which means all through Vanilla, Alliance and Horde both shared only 2 tank capable classes.
Edited by Berith on 3/20/2013 6:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
People who want to tank, have tanks already.

You could give every class a tanking spec and there still would be a shortage.

True words.

I used to tank. Had a Warrior that I leveled prot during Vanilla and into TBC. Tanked TBC, Wrath and Cata.

I now play this Druid. I don't tank anymore. Notice that I play a druid, a class that has a tanking spec. I even have tanking gear (I briefly played Guardian before deciding to go Feral). But I don't tank, even though I play a class that can tank.
Reply Quote
No one wanted Paladin tanks after the Seal of Fury nerf and before the prot tree revamp of 2.0.1.

If I needed a tank for Scholo or LBLS/UPRS, I would gladly take them (as the off tank) over waiting 2 hours to find a Warrior or Druid. That and I was a good healer that did not run with durpy DPS.

Pallies could tank better than shammies, especially in 5/10 man content, so I count them more as a tank.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If I needed a tank for Scholo or LBLS/UPRS, I would gladly take them (as the off tank) over waiting 2 hours to find a Warrior or Druid. That and I was a good healer that did not run with durpy DPS.

Pallies could tank better than shammies, especially in 5/10 man content, so I count them more as a tank.

You were the exception (and frankly, off-tanks in Scholo/LBRS/UBRS were a waste of a spot, bring another DPS). I was stuck healing/decursing BWL/MC all the time back then I wanted nothing better than to do something else on my off-raid times.

You can't believe the amount of crap I heard. Heck, even in TBC after Prot was fixed, you can't believe how many people would spam trade for a tank and still be there after I got out of an instance they wanted to run, as the tank, after I had offered to tank it for them.

The role also lacks the "glory factor" of other roles

Tanks do not seek glory. At the end of the day, we're happy when everyone survived and mourn the ones we couldn't protect as we would our own family. We are the shield that guards the other's in the raid.

Glory, praise, a tank craves not these things.
Edited by Berith on 3/20/2013 6:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
If they added a tanking spec to shaman then I would definitely swap in a heartbeat.

That's at least 1 more tank available, and I know I'm not alone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Before they put new tank specs in they should return tanking abilities to the DK's other specs.
Edited by Kíen on 3/20/2013 6:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You were the exception (and frankly, off-tanks in Scholo/LBRS/UBRS were a waste of a spot, bring another DPS)
I liked having the "secutity blanket" as it were. The dispells, an emergency heal if needed, someone to pick up adds so I did not get eaten etc. I come from the "slow and steady" school of though :P

03/20/2013 06:37 AMPosted by Berith
You can't believe the amount of crap I heard.

Yup. I know. I got a few "You really want me to tank? YOu are not just going to drop me when I get there? Is this a joke?"

Heck, even in TBC after Prot was fixed, you can't believe how many people would spam trade for a tank and still be there after I got out of an instance they wanted to run, as the tank, after I had offered to tank it for them.
This is a problem with the community. They really do not watch class changes beyond their own. Most people still think Arcane mages are the "Spam 1,1,1,1, 2/3" of Wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
My priest can tank
Reply Quote
54 Gnome Priest
My priest can tank

I know you were joking but...I can tank bosses of my level...and take less damage and do more DPS than the actual tank ;)

Engendering FTW.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is a problem with the community. They really do not watch class changes beyond their own. Most people still think Arcane mages are the "Spam 1,1,1,1, 2/3" of Wrath.

I remember people zoning out of Shattered Halls normal when I just ran to the end of the first hall with all the mobs chasing me and my guild healer running behind me. Good times. Heck, I even did that on Heroic difficulty after getting a few Karazhan drops, making sure to consecrate right over that "emergency sheep".

They'd zone back in after they saw us not die for a few minutes.

Yes, I come from the "fast and hard" school of TBC Prot tanking :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The day they let warlocks tank will be the same day they cut their DPS 30% or more. You really want the curse of the hybrid class?
Reply Quote
Yes, I come from the "fast and hard" school of TBC Prot tanking :D
The way TBC prot was..you actually described the slow and steady way :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
you actually described the slow and steady way :P

I dunno what's slow about less than 10 minute Shattered Halls runs ... but Oooook. ;)

(I think we even managed Heroic in 9 minutes once with a full guild group).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
People have to really want to tank to tank. Otherwise, they won't. It's a thankless job and you get the most abuse and people who want to not let you learn at low levels because it might make the run last 5 minutes longer. New tanking specs in existing classes won't change this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]