Chain pulling

90 Draenei Shaman
Not even once. I joined two randoms that had a tank that decided chain pulling was the best strategy for BRD. "Quit chain pulling I'm running out of/I'm out of mana." Oh, look. The tank is still pulling. I left both times. I don't even know what to do any more. The tank troubles seem to get worse the more I level.

First, I'm going to mog my heirlooms. I think this will deter any thought that everything will be easy mode. Second, I'm going to... something. I hate randoms, I hate them so very much.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
What's your issue with chain pulling in BRD? The instance is long and every mob, even the bosses, can be soloed.

Like you literally don't need a healer for all the instances under 70.
Edited by Kangamooster on 3/9/2013 9:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Unfortunately, a lot of "tanks" are dps queued for the quick queue and DO need heals.

And pulling 20+ mobs, not getting aggro properly established (a lot charge through just getting proximity aggro) to allow for healing without the healer getting aggro and getting interrupted and knocked down? It's suicide. BRD is bad for it, as the mobs are around 4-5 per group, and overpulling due to the patting dogs and guards can happen even without trying.

It's true that a lot of the instances can be soloed or chain pulled - if the tank is actually a tank, the dps is strong, and all are in BoAs. But being overconfident, not getting aggro, and letting damage fly when most healers have limited spells to heal - is still just stupid and frustrating to try to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
What's your issue with chain pulling in BRD? The instance is long and every mob, even the bosses, can be soloed.

I wanna see you tank Dire Maul as a Monk when it's on-level. Specifically the Gordok Quarter. Without a healer. :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Chain pulling and overall the gogogo default born of the death knights and classic dungeon nerfs is a bad habit. There have always been gogogoers but a certain feature introduced really let them flourish and these kind of tanks I'm talking about cause a lot of unnecessary problems. A lot of the stuff here is it's own thread though.

Yes, everything in BRD can be soloed but a level 51 isn't doing it. Yes, there are dungeons where healing isn't a top priority but there are caveats to that such as being a certain dungeon, if it is a LFD, the time needed to do it without a healer, the gear and skill of the players, the classes involved and how many times someone is willing to die before they drop group and everything stalls.

I have healed lots of chain pulls before. I have no problem chain healing when both the tank, dps and I are aware of our strengths and weaknesses both as players and class wise and where chain pulling is appropriate. It's most viable when you do it with people you know and play with.

See, I've never healed BRD with a shaman before and I don't know anything about Tookooldood the Human Monk to say, "Oh, just grab everything, we're good."

Other stuff too
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
APM
Are you not keeping water shield up? Not using mana tide? pots for your even are cheap not to mention with mana caps can be very effective.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk

I wanna see you tank Dire Maul as a Monk when it's on-level. Specifically the Gordok Quarter. Without a healer. :D

I'd spread that out to everything except maybe a pally. Them big ogres with the 50% ms that hit like trucks aren't a lot of fun when joeherololtank tries and pull multiple packs and not use their mit tools...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Unfortunately, a lot of "tanks" are dps queued for the quick queue and DO need heals.

And by the time you get done spamming them healing surge/flash heal/etc., it is entirely possible to be out of/low on mana.

Unfortunately, OP, you're going to run in to plenty of tanks who don't pay attention to the healer's mana, including the higher levels when your mana regen isn't ridiculous. If they run off while you're drinking, let them die. If they blame you, tell them it's their own fault for not paying attention (it's kind of amazing how many tanks don't notice that the healer isn't with them). Sometimes a repair bill is the best lesson. If they get too belligerent, leave, or if they kick you, just requeue (and possibly /ignore them).

And like Loratabb said, make sure you're using water shield, and don't be afraid to use pots when necessary (however, if you're constantly ooming, neither is going to prevent it 100% of the time). You'll get mana tide totem in a few levels, too.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
Are you not keeping water shield up? Not using mana tide? pots for your even are cheap not to mention with mana caps can be very effective.

The problem with this is that the tanks that don't listen to the healers asking for a break are the same tanks that don't understand why you would waste rage on shield block when cleave does more damage.

On the other hand it isn't easy as a newb tank. You can be below the healer on the DPS chart and nobody says a thing. While as a tank you can top the DPS chart, hold threat perfectly, move at a good pace and still getting hammered with /whispers from the healer saying,"you suck slow down", the DPS saying,"you suck speed up", and trying to keep in combat because you know as soon as combat drops someone will be initiate a kick on you and at least two people will accept because they assume its for the Warlock that has been afk the entire run.

Do I sound bitter?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
they assume its for the Warlock that has been afk the entire run.

I've seen this a few times lol.

03/10/2013 06:42 AMPosted by Rivaeon
make sure you're using water shield, and don't be afraid to use pots when necessary

Absolutely. I've just had a pretty bad queue streak is all. It's not all bad. The challenge can be really fun and even hilarious. I like the challenge of learning as Crumboo grows and new tools and dungeon challenges are introduced. The hardest part has been not playing her like a priest or druid but not as much lately. There's always questing too so there's options.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
herpAderp
Edited by Moophious on 3/10/2013 4:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't know what it's like for Shaman healers, but as a Priest I almost have to beg my groups to chain pull instances. I usually test the waters first unless i've healed the instance before, and there have been a couple of times where I was caught off guard (chainpull+BOSSpull) and we still held together strong. You're gonna get the occasional wipe of course, with chain pulling there's always a higher risk of something going wrong, but usually if the group is competent enough they are forgiving for it. Other times it's a steamroll straight to the end and i'm still usually DPSing here and there while PW:S and Renew tops up the tank.

03/09/2013 09:04 PMPosted by Crumboo
I'm going to mog my heirlooms. I think this will deter any thought that everything will be easy mode.

This.

This is a wise idea. =)
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin

How is a level 51 shaman going to drop mana tide?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I'd spread that out to everything except maybe a pally. Them big ogres with the 50% ms that hit like trucks aren't a lot of fun when joeherololtank tries and pull multiple packs and not use their mit tools...

For sure. And that's assuming they even have more than one. I don't think I've made it through the Gordok Commons without having at least one wipe on any of my alts. No matter how careful the tanks are (and most of them are not careful, I might add), you always get multiple packs, and...ugh...they hit so hard. -_-
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/10/2013 11:48 PMPosted by Xinyc

How is a level 51 shaman going to drop mana tide?

Yeahh...you kind of don't get MTT until level 56.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
If we argued all day and night about whether chain pulling is acceptable or not, and found the correct answer, the other people we play with won't be privy to that info and will want us to speed up or slow down.

Just communicate with group. It's the only correct answer.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Chain pulling only bothers me in the following two situations:

1. Tank can't hold what he pulls...ugh exactly this. If you can't hold it, don't pull it. Dps are not meant to tank mobs. Sure there are some who can take a few hits, but a mage who just popped off three crits...no.

2. The tank who chain pulls not realizing the dps in the group can't burn down the mobs fast enough. After you get to your third or fourth pull, if at least SOME of the mobs from the first pull are not dead, you do not have the dps to pull this off. You will be taking massive hits from three different groups, and that is why your healer needs mana.

If the tank can hold aggro, and the dps are average (they don't even have to be bad !@#, just average) then chain pulling is a nice way to get your valor done quickly.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The only bad experiences i've had with chain pullers is when I had a tank who refused to understand that his continued life expectancy was directly proportional to the fullness of my mana bar...

He chain pulled ALL the packs in the Cat boss of ZG, which we survived because I went oom / popped all my CD's and then he Leeeeroyed into the boss... when the inevitable wipe happened he immediately began blaming me for it...

So yeah.. don't get me wrong... when my pally was geared to the teeth I found Chain pulling / undergeared tanks amusing to heal in my dungeon runs. but Chain pullers who have no idea how to play their class do get annoying really fast...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I always try to chain pull when lvling my characters through dungeons. It's the toughest on my monk, he seems to take way more damage than my other characters.

I also tend to heal dungeons (for example on my boomkin / spriest that I'm lvling now) in DPS spec, and spend most of the dungeon doing damage, rather than heal.

Dire Maul is the only dungeon that could be considered hard I think, until Cata dungeons. And by hard, I don't actually mean hard, I mean that the tank can't just move from one group to another with out stopping, letting the DPS burn down mobs while he moves through.

I actually like that though. it reminds me of City of Heroes, which had in my opinion the funnest dungeon system out there. For those that don't know it went something like this:
Get a random group of people together.. no tanks... no heals.. ? No problem. Set your dungeon difficulty from "OMG were teh nubs" to "OMG were teh hardcorez". (slider should always be set to hardcorez btw). Zone in, proceed to be swarmed by hundreds of mobs. Get into a huge FFA brawl with all your teamates and have fun.
Reply Quote
I really don't enjoy running with gogogo tanks. However if a tank is really capable of chain-pulling without taking massive damage, it's not too bad. I've gotten in LFG with a few awesome tanks who can chain-pull and still make it a non-stressful experience for me. It's fun when it keeps me on my toes. It's not fun when the tank is pulling more than they really should and it becomes impossible to heal. It just depends on the tank and their gear/ability.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]