Moon Guard Wiki: A Community Engine

90 Night Elf Hunter

I' not sure what you are talking about, but I will refer you to the front page listing where, under Disclaimers, Policies and Layout it states:

"Moon Guard Wiki's disclaimers, policy and layout were inspired by the original Moon Guard Wiki, the Elder Scrolls Wiki and A Tome of Righteous Fire Wiki and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License."

I think he refers to the word-for-word use of ATORF text in the Extra-Canonical Contents and Content use in Role-Play sections -- though I could be mistaken. A copy-paste job would seem to warrant more than "inspired by" but that is merely my own opinion.

About the wiki itself, I wish that we could just find a way as a community to work together on a single wiki rather than having competing wikis. There will be no one wiki management team that suits everyone's tastes, but having a partial wiki here and a partial wiki there seems to defeat the purpose of the wiki-concept.

I hope that the editors of the various wikis are able to come together and produce a single resource -- but I suspect that everyone will answer that by saying "well, so-and-so is welcome to contribute to my wiki."
Edited by Pylsur on 3/11/2013 2:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Stuff like this:
http://moon-guard.wikia.com/wiki/Conquest_of_Kun%27Lai

Should really not be posted by a single party, as it clearly misrepresents things. If you want to call it the First Regiment's take on things that's a different discussion, but objectively the second day of the battle was FR emote fighting while the other guilds engaged in RP-PVP.

It seems dishonest and self-aggrandizing to both deny the serious contributions of others while enforcing your own. Felthier posting this would make more sense.

Like Whitdale said, I separated the regiment's participation in the event into its own section and attempted to give an unbiased summary of the joint battles that took place. Like I said in the FAQ, any and all discrepancies or "differing accounts" in fanon can and will be addressed if you ask.

I don't intend to lock the page from editing and I separated the regiment's participation in it so that others could add their own sections.

While we at ATORF don't really mind that whomever did this wiki's front page decided to literally plagiarize certain sections of our own, we would at least appreciate a little credit be given where it is due.

Like Manstein said, ATORF is listed in the credit to the Disclaimers, Policies and Layout.

Edit: If you wish, I can either edit the disclaimers to be more explicit or rewrite them myself.
Edited by Maxen on 3/11/2013 2:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
Like Manstein said, ATORF is listed in the credit to the Disclaimers, Policies and Layout.

The credit given is limited to 'inspiration', a term that is both insulting to me personally and wholly disingenuous when our writing was copied verbatim without our permission.
Reply Quote
03/11/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Kanyeldwest

The credit given is limited to 'inspiration', a term that is both insulting to me personally and wholly disingenuous when our writing was copied verbatim without our permission.

I'm sure your complaint is noted and the policies will be rewritten so that there's not any confusion or offense.
Edited by Moorwhelp on 3/11/2013 2:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

In concordance with your request, a more explicit citation has been added to the offending sections. I hope that it addresses your concern in a more appropriate and respectful way than our previous notation.

http://moon-guard.wikia.com/wiki/*
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
03/11/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Kanyeldwest

I specifically approached Madelynne beforehand a few months ago and showed her the old lion's call wiki which had the same exact disclaimers, and she made no protest in regards to me using the disclaimers from the ATORF site. For the three or so months that the lion's call wiki has been up, and even referenced on these forums, I haven't had anyone approach me with complaints - and I assumed that would carry over to this wiki. I'll change the disclaimers or the text itself.

Edit: Manstein beat me to it.
Edited by Maxen on 3/11/2013 2:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Honestly, I don't care about attribution or what have you. Wikis will come and go and have existed forever.

My concern is for how we will continue forth, where server events come down to the person that posts the information first. I've had a lot of snide commentary about how a wiki works, but it's denying that most wikis are not a compilation of people actively working on projects. So yes, it does matter how something is presented as I believe all server events should have a neutral bias, else it's just trash talking.

The suggestion to work with others seems far better than the one to create a second page. At that point, we may as well not have a community wiki at all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
To those who put this wiki together and those who have contributed so far... Well done. The old Moon Guard wiki was on its death bed and this gave me hours worth of reading material during an otherwise dull work day.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Honestly, I don't care about attribution or what have you. Wikis will come and go and have existed forever.

My concern is for how we will continue forth, where server events come down to the person that posts the information first. I've had a lot of snide commentary about how a wiki works, but it's denying that most wikis are not a compilation of people actively working on projects. So yes, it does matter how something is presented as I believe all server events should have a neutral bias, else it's just trash talking.

The suggestion to work with others seems far better than the one to create a second page. At that point, we may as well not have a community wiki at all.

I agree that for cases that are server-wide events, they should be as unbiased as possible. With that in mind, however, not every person in the event would know all of the details of every single guild's participation. Multiple perspectives in different sections I think are the best way to handle such, so we can both get the finer details of individual guild participation and the broader sense of what actually happened in the larger multiguild scale.
Edited by Maxen on 3/11/2013 3:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd love to be a moderator on this project. Put my name down for consideration for sure ;-).
Reply Quote

Perhaps we, perhaps I, have done a poor job of properly articulating the procedure. If you feel as if a section was biased or slanted, simply contact an administrator and we will take the appropriate steps to make sure it is clear that the offending piece is properly documented as simply being a perspective. We aren't advocating you create a separate page, but that you either:

A). Create a sub-section of the same article and write it in the way you believed it took place.

or

B.) Contact the author and work on creating a cooperate article that expresses things in the manner you wish it.
Reply Quote
To those who put this wiki together and those who have contributed so far... Well done. The old Moon Guard wiki was on its death bed and this gave me hours worth of reading material during an otherwise dull work day.

Thank you! I'm quite impressed with the material submitted thus far.

I'd love to be a moderator on this project. Put my name down for consideration for sure ;-).

Noted.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I'm glad that I can post my work without fear of having it shredded or thrown in the trash. I appreciate the time you guys took to set this up, Manstein and Maxen.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
MOON GUARD WIKI

Didn't Sleech and some other users attempt this a year or so ago, and got berated for it--like into the ground? Not to besmirch the concept, as this is exciting to me, but it seems like a shameless theft of an idea that only gets support because a server celebrity is doing it.
Edited by Sreech on 3/11/2013 7:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Didn't Sleech and some other users attempt this a year or so ago, and got berated for it--like into the ground? Not to besmirch the concept, as this is exciting to me, but it seems like a shameless theft of an idea that only gets support because a server celebrity is doing it.

Stop trying to make it happen.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
After reviewing the Moon Guard wikipedia's entry on the Battle of Kun-lai event, I found much of my original summary copy and pasted into the body. Perhaps there should also be far more stricter rules on citing individual articles. Or at least giving credit to the writer.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Stop trying to make it happen.

What happen, exactly? As far as I'm concerned this is just another location to put my character biography. I don't think anyone even uses the old wikia anymore. Besides, once it acknowledged due to the fracticious nature of the community that such a project, as Sleech laid out was impossible.

Assume much?
Edited by Sreech on 3/11/2013 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/11/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Sreech
MOON GUARD WIKI

TBH I think it's getting support because they put a huge amount of effort into it and has a ton of awesome info.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
TBH I think it's getting support because they put a huge amount of effort into it and has a ton of awesome info.

Last I recall, if the thread still exists, so did Sleech and those players. Yet, they got grounded into the dirt.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
There needs to be more guilds involved with this wiki. From what I can tell, most of the participants are human, and represent a fraction of the Moonguard population. If you could get more guild leaders to partner with who will share their guild stories (especially where Alliance is concerned, given how so much Alliance RP is designated within the guild rather than World RP), this concept has such amazing potential. Then if you could get those leaders to sign off on a mutual acceptances of some of the storylines here so we can get some continuity, ... wow.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]