Wild Mushrooms - even worse

6 Night Elf Mage
Tonight I brought my druid into raid for HOF. Haven't raided with her since nearly the start of the expac when it became clear that druids just did not have the tools they needed - I've been exclusively healing on my paladin.

I have to say that while using rejuv's overhealing to buff WM healing is an interesting concept - overall it's just a bad mechanic. At the start of MOP I was just using my mushrooms on CD, since it was a cheap aoe heal. Now I put them down at the start of the fight. I have to wait for them to get buffed by rejuv . . . but wait . . . no one is taking damage . . . so there is NO reason for me to cast a heal. Some damage starts going out, I toss some rejuvs . . . I NEED an aoe heal . . . but wait . . . mushrooms aren't fully charged . . .

So I can bloom them pre charge and get a mediocre heal that I need or I can wait and pray that my raid hasn't moved too far from the darn things once they have charged.

Congrats devs . . . you took one of the WORST spells in game and made it even clunkier and more unfun to use. Congratulations.
Edited by Kørrå on 3/13/2013 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/13/2013 08:13 PMPosted by Kørrå
At the start of MOP I was just using my mushrooms on CD, since it was a cheap aoe heal.

That mechanic hasn't changed. You can still do that. They do not require charging.

Furthermore, if you have shrooms down, you should be more liberal with your rejuvs with some direct intent to overheal on one or two people to decrease the time it takes to charge them.

Ps, I don't like them either. Just saying, they are better than they were because they can still be used in the way you previously used them + charged form.
Edited by Tonydanza on 3/13/2013 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
6 Night Elf Mage
03/13/2013 08:19 PMPosted by Tonydanza
At the start of MOP I was just using my mushrooms on CD, since it was a cheap aoe heal.

That mechanic hasn't changed. You can still do that. They do not require charging.

Furthermore, if you have shrooms down, you should be more liberal with your rejuvs with some direct intent to overheal on one or two people to decrease the time it takes to charge them.

I keep my rejuv on the tank ALL the time. So it's usually over healing the tank. I thought healer design was supposed to be waiting to cast a heal until it's needed . . . are we back to WOTLK spamming?

Even with the cost reduction to rejuv, If I am careless with rejuv I am finding myself oom, while our priest and paladin are still at nearly full mana to 50% mana.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I wasn't too impressed with the new mushrooms either, at least not for unorganized raiding. Once they're set up they can't be moved without wasting your built up overheal - or can they?, and they don't heal for much without being fully charged. I've been finding myself wasting rejuvs on people that don't even need it just to build them up faster.

The 3-click placement is still irritating (especially with lag) and I wish they'd change it to one click, with all 3 mushrooms sharing one combined radius - similar to Healing Rain. Though you wouldn't be able to pop a couple mushrooms in the melee and one in the ranged that way.

They haven't moved up any farther in my healing chart than they were when I used them pre-buff.
Edited by Xiggy on 3/13/2013 9:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
They haven't moved up any farther in my healing chart than they were when I used them pre-buff.

When I remember to use them, they normally make up about 10% of total healing (and I'm near top of meter in 25man). I'm sure we could do better with an addon that shows how much juice they've sucked up though
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/13/2013 08:22 PMPosted by Kørrå

I keep my rejuv on the tank ALL the time. So it's usually over healing the tank. I thought healer design was supposed to be waiting to cast a heal until it's needed . . . are we back to WOTLK spamming?

Even with the cost reduction to rejuv, If I am careless with rejuv I am finding myself oom, while our priest and paladin are still at nearly full mana to 50% mana.

Sadly...Yes sort of. Due to raid fight mechanics and that of the mushrooms..you have to deliberately overheal.
Just a rejuv on the tank won't do anything for you. It needs to overheal, and rejuv on the tank may not end up being all that much overheal some times. I throw it on 2-3 extra people who may not need it during low damage phases when you do not have too much else to heal.

The problem however is during some encounters where there is a constant stream of raid wide damage, you need to overheal...and overhealing is hard to do...therefore to charge them up, you indeed have to go to Wrath levels of rejuv spam.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Are you seriously complaining about druid healing this expansion? Try healing with a shaman in ToT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The problem however is during some encounters where there is a constant stream of raid wide damage, you need to overheal...and overhealing is hard to do...therefore to charge them up, you indeed have to go to Wrath levels of rejuv spam.

If you're dealing with constant raid damage, buffing mushrooms by intentionally overhealing with Rejuv instead of using it where it won't overheal is a bad trade. You're getting extra mushroom healing at 1:4 of Rejuv overhealing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/14/2013 12:28 AMPosted by Nerfheals

If you're dealing with constant raid damage, buffing mushrooms by intentionally overhealing with Rejuv instead of using it where it won't overheal is a bad trade. You're getting extra mushroom healing at 1:4 of Rejuv overhealing.

Hence why I said it's a problem.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You're getting extra mushroom healing at 1:4 of Rejuv overhealing.

3:4 if you have all three mushrooms down. That's not so bad considering you get the heal all at once rather than over 12 seconds, and Rejuv is not bad efficiency wise to start with. Most healers can't recapture any of their overheal (although a lot are not as prone to it in the first place).

I wish they would add Lifebloom and Wild Growth to the list of spells that charge them up, though. Or while we're wishing for things, MORE RADIUS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm sure we could do better with an addon that shows how much juice they've sucked up though

From: http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t130799-resto_mists_pandaria_5_2_a/p31/, a Weak Auras string.

"I made a WeakAuras display to do that, if it's of any interest to you. Just quoting my post from another forum:
I just threw this together for my own use and figured some of you might find it useful as well. It's a Weakauras tracker that shows (as a number) how much healing is stored in your mushrooms, along with a bar that fills up based on the total capacity (which depends on max health and number of mushrooms).

Weakauras import string: dKueFaGiKuxcbv1OaqNcawfQkEfkrMfOOBrQyxOQ6xKkPmmeYXqILrrEgk10OOQRHQsBdjPVHGkJdkIo - Pastebin.com

Note that I wasn't able to figure out a way to track the buff on the mushrooms themselves (since it failed to trigger COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED or UNIT_AURA), so I'm actually just tracking the rejuvenation overheal itself and summing the amount done while each mushroom was active. This means two things.

If Blizzard rebalances mushrooms, this tracker will have to be adjusted for the new figures (i.e. I've incorporated the behavior "25% of overhealing up to 33% of player max health" into the tracker).
There is the possibility that this tracker could produce inaccurate results in some edge cases. However, I've tested every realistic edge case I could think of and the worst discrepancy I've been able to produce is of order 1 rejuvenation tick (owing to a small time offset between when I start counting overheal toward a newly-spawned mushroom's growth and when Blizzard does).

Also, it would be trivial to show a separate tracker for each mushroom but I figured that would just be extraneous.
Probably not the best possible implementation, but it's worked well enough for me on PTR."

And an Addon:

ShroomHelper, http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/shroomhelper
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
One note that hasn't even been pointed out: pre-buff the first 'shrooms. Many fights you know where first time you'll need a big burst will be. So before the fight even starts, drop your mushrooms, get Harmony up, and let loose with 4-6 RJs on your raid. By the time they tick out, your shrooms will all be 100% buffed, and your mana will regen before the fight begins.

Then during the rest of the fight, I'm pretending that the overhealing portion doesn't exist. I'm treating it like a bonus, not something I'm counting on, like a critical heal versus a regular heal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]