Please guys help me becoming a better healer.

90 Human Paladin
Hello Guys, well i'm new to World Of Warcraft, I've been playing since nearly 3 weeks now, i have a level 76 Tauren Holy Paladin and a 72 Human Holy paladin, i loved my Tauren but since we moved to darkspear, i choosed to be alliance since all my friends are alliance, but thats not a problem for me cause I LOVE HEALING :) !

However, when i play my paladin, i feel that i lack something, i don't know what !
I'm a noob, my friends tell me that i heal well....but still there is ALWAYS A FEAR IN ME THAT I MIGHT NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH, I LACK CONFIDENCE :/

I keybind, i research the whole day but it is still not enough...Finally i want to change class.
I want to become a Priest because i heard that they are the best healing class in WoW.

Should i change from paladin to priest , druid or shaman ?

Holy paladins what do you suggest me ? Or how to you tackle situations, what are the spells you use ?

Please help me, I've already leveled 2 characters 70+ in 2 weeks, i'm not even getting enough sleep, help me BECOMING THE BEST HEALER I CAN BE GUYS PLEASE :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
As a holy paladin, the single biggest tip I can give you is to make extensive use of holy power.
Not exactly sure of the spells available to you at that level, but you should be making sure to use Holy Shock as often as you possibly can. It's low mana, decent healing, and gives you holy power, which is a big contributor to being mana efficient.

Random things apart from that...Make sure you're using Beacon of Light on someone at all times (typically a tank), in 5-man dungeons a combination of Holy Light, Holy Shock, and Word of Glory will basically complete the entire thing for you with little effort.

This is just general advice, if you have any specific questions just post here and I'll try to help out :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Finally i want to change class.I want to become a Priest because i heard that they are the best healing class in WoW.

No, no we are not. As much as I love my class, I still run into Druids in arenas that just school me. In LFR I am super happy when I see we have a geared Holy Paladin who picked up healing the tank.

Because of Disc's healing style we can effectively preemptively snipe raid wide damage, and we look great on healing meters. This is not the same as being the best healing class. It does mean that we pair well with reactive style healers in a raid environment and that there are some bosses that we excel at.

If you don’t like the healing style of your pally, or want to fill a different role in end game content, then switch. Your pally is in a good place, don’t let that be the deciding factor.

I LACK CONFIDENCE :/

In the end confidence comes with experience. It will take time to tell when you are doing a good job or when you really missed something. Did the DPS just died from stupid? You can’t heal stupid, but new healers tend to blame themselves anyway.

You will run into situations where the best answer for the party or raid is to let someone die. Knowing that line takes experience and the confidence that comes with it.

Have you read “things you don’t want to hear healing pugs”? Listening to some of the things that annoy healers, and problems that the healer can’t do anything about may help give you some perspective as you try to become a better healer.

Best of luck with your healer, whichever way you decide to go with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello Guys, well i'm new to World Of Warcraft, I've been playing since nearly 3 weeks now, i have a level 76 Tauren Holy Paladin and a 72 Human Holy paladin, i loved my Tauren but since we moved to darkspear, i choosed to be alliance since all my friends are alliance, but thats not a problem for me cause I LOVE HEALING :) !

However, when i play my paladin, i feel that i lack something, i don't know what !
I'm a noob, my friends tell me that i heal well....but still there is ALWAYS A FEAR IN ME THAT I MIGHT NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH, I LACK CONFIDENCE :/

I keybind, i research the whole day but it is still not enough...Finally i want to change class.
I want to become a Priest because i heard that they are the best healing class in WoW.

Holy paladins what do you suggest me ? Or how to you tackle situations, what are the spells you use ?

Please help me, I've already leveled 2 characters 70+ in 2 weeks, i'm not even getting enough sleep, help me BECOMING THE BEST HEALER I CAN BE GUYS PLEASE :)

well you seem to be doing fine. are people constantly dying in dungeons? if its once in a blue moon, its ok (as !@#$ happens through bad cc/silence combinations, one hit kills, random aggro burst, etc)

every healer kinda has their own little mold of healing. if you enjoy how the paladins healing is revolved around holy power, then stick to it. if not, try another healer.

i would be glad to assist you with any questions you may have about the class

(btw get in full plate gear ASAP, as you will get a 5%int bonus for wearing all plate gear)
Edited by Jarshie on 3/15/2013 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Well here are a few tips for you, you can follow them if you want or not:

1) Download a Unit frame add-on (Heal-bot, Vuhdo, Grid, Clique) there are more... but those are the more popular ones some people like me find these unit frames helpful as you can see the health bars of all your party members at once and, in the case of Healbot and Vuhdo you can bind your heals to your mouse buttons (which are changed by modifiers like ctrl, alt and Shift)

So for example you could have left click bound to Holy Shock, and Shift-Left click bound to Word of Glory

what that means is if you place your mouse over the box of someone who needs healing and left click it will cast Holy Shock on that player without having to target them.

2) Beacon of light is your friend and usually you want to put it on the tank

3) Lay on hands can save anyone from dying as it will heal the target equal to your max HP

4) Don't worry too much on keeping everyone's health bars at full HP, this is more useful to you later when mana can become an issue in most situations if the DPS are doing their job right and avoiding damage which can be avoided you can safely leave them on 50% - 70% health. The tank you want to try and keep around 80% health.

5) Grow a thick skin very fast as most people WILL blame you for a wipe even when it wasn't your fault.. in fact they'll blame you ESPECIALLY when it's not your fault.

just a few tips... hope they help you out
Best of luck to you in your healing
May the eternal sun shine down upon you
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
Confidence is knowing that your life is important and doesn't have enough spare time for bull!@#$ that people with idle hands want to throw in front of you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thanks :), yes please tell me how you usually heal in dungeons, for e.g what spells you use the more often, do you use instant cast spells first , etc
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
yeah you were right, we healers always get the blame, anyway thanks for helping me, now i know aroung how much % does a dps or a tank need to be healed :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
thank you guys for your precious tips and advice, i will DEFINITELY FOLLOW THEM :) !
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I have very little experience with healing on a paladin, but keep at it!

One thing I'll echo from some of the pallies who posted above - learn how to maximize your Holy Power generation, and then learn how to maximize the healing you can do with it. I started MoP with a Mistweaver, which also has a secondary resource (Chi, in aMistweaver's case), and learning how to best generate and then dump Chi is (well was, anyway; haven't kept up with where Mistweavers have gone the past couple of months) crucial to good mistweaver play.

Basically, you never want to neglect to generate Holy Power if you have a decent option to use a heal that will generate it... and then you don't want to *sit* at full HoPo (unless you know a specific mechanic is coming up in the next few seconds where you'll *need* all of it), because you could get a "free" heal from it and then continue generating more, for other "free" heals.

I say "free" because of course they aren't free; you used mana to generate the HoPo that fuelled the heal. However, sitting on full HoPo isn't an efficient use of the mana you invested to *generate* the HoPo in the first place (unless, as I said above, you know you'll need those charges in a few seconds).

I'm sure other holy pallies will have information to refine that concept for you; there may be exceptions to the general rule that I'm unaware of. Just be aware that holy paladins are strong healers in end-game MoP content; you're not investing time in a class that won't be capable of doing what people want from you, if you level this toon :D
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I just thought of another tip for you..

At level 45 you get a choice between two talents: Sacred Shield or Eternal Flame my suggestion is to go Eternal Flame (people might argue which one is actually better but personally I find Eternal Flame to be better over all)

Eternal Flame places a HoT (Heal over Time) on your target but that's not the best part, Eternal Flame sends 50% of each tick it heals to your Beacon of Light target. They also improved it slightly to increase the heal by 100% if cast on yourself.
When you combine Eternal Flame with the level 75 Talent Divine Purpose you can get some really nice heals going for free.

Lets assume i'm healing a 5-man dungeon
What I normally do is get three holy power (from using Holy shock 3 times) then I either dump the HP into an Eternal Flame on a DPS, Divine Purpose Procs letting me cast another Eternal Flame on either the tank or another DPS. I then can use Holy Light as a filler spell until Holy Shock comes off Cool Down.

Hope that also helps you a little bit
Good luck with your life as a healer
Edited by Friendabull on 3/17/2013 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]