Aspect..... Y u no interest?

90 Goblin Hunter
So I find myself now 99.99999% of the time in Hawk now. Maybe hit pack once we wipe and need to get back quicker. But seriously why do we even as apsects at all anymore?

Any suggestions to make them actually interesting and useful or should they just remove apsect's all together now? Just dosen't seem to be much use for them anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Everything doesn't have to be 100% interesting and have a big purpose. I find myself in Cheetah a lot outside of raids/dungeons. Rather run around a lot faster.

That is my take, anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
once apon a time, there were 7 aspects.
hawk, for a static non scaling ranged attack power buff , monkey, for dodging when enemies were close, cheetah and pack, which we still have, aspect of the beast, for anti tracking and bonus melee attack power, and wild, for a static nature resist buff, and viper, for mana regeneration on attack hit at the price of 50% reduced dmg (also had viper sting which siphoned mana from target to refill our mana pool)
In wrath, they combined monkey and hawk into aspect of the dragon hawk, static boost to dodge and ranged attack power.
In Cata, dragon hawk became hawk, lost monkeys effect entirely, along with aspect of the beast. we lost viper and viper sting, along with scorpio sting, got aspect of the fox and the focus system. Fox gave us focus on melee hit and made our focus generating shots cast able while moving.
In mists, wild went away, along with all resistance buffs and stats on gear (was gone pretty much anyway as of wrath), and hawk became a scaling buff. we also got the anti tracking beast back, and lost melee weapons and any reason for the melee attack power buff.

In 5.1 we lost aspect of the fox and its effects were made baseline. The trending theme with blizzard is that aspects should be made simple and easy. They don't want to take away our ranged attack power buff, or our aspect of the cheetah/pack speed boosts. could they ad more interesting aspects? sure, but in order for them to get any real use (which lack of use is what got so many removed, or unintended use for those who remember the days of the melee hunter) they would have to make aspect of the hawk baseline, and probably turn our aspects into cool downs like they did with shaman totems. some would prob not have a cd (like cheetah/pack, unless they removed the daze and make it a stronger speed boost) but then our aspects would be interesting.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
The problem is Hawk is a massive damage aspect, and all other aspects (recently) have been minor utility.

Trading massive damage for minor utility won't work. Unless they bake Hawk passive, and make all aspects minor utility (i.e. Hawk decreases chance for utility shots to be dodged, no RAP), there won't be room for new aspects.
Reply Quote
I find myself in Beast more that I do Pack but I also do a lot of solo WPvP. In my opinion, I find the aspects a lot more player friendly than that whole Hawk/Fox train wreck. I didn't mind Haxk/Viper but I hated Fox.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
(won't let me use my hunter for this thread since i just xfer'd again)

Tbh even though it was a positive QoL change for removing Fox i personally enjoyed hawk/fox dancing whether pve or pvp. It's what made the difference between goods/bads. Same with how in cata Arms had to swap stance every 3rd/4th global for overpowers/thunderclaps. Subtle, but in the long run huge differences.

Plus in raids making more annoying noises when swapping aspects was worth it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Yea I've played the swap dance many a time. But the way they've made it I just don't see much of a need for aspects at all anymore. Although I agree.. Make Hawk the baseline and make the apsect utility based only.

Speed run enhance
Tracking enhance
camo and stealth

would all be good spcific use aspects that can and would likely all be used based on what you're doing.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Camouflage enhancment aspect would be nice. Aspect of the Shadows :D
Reply Quote
62 Dwarf Hunter
03/15/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Eurugan
make aspect of the hawk baseline, and probably turn our aspects into cool downs

This would be cool IMO. They could even keep hawk and redesign it as a damage CD if they felt like it (maybe replacing rapid fire?). If Pack was on a CD they could remove the daze and make it more like Stampeding Roar. Cheetah could become something more Sprint-like.

Stance dancing is gone for a reason -- very few people really enjoyed it, but its effectiveness meant that people who didn't enjoy it had to do it anyway. Monks were designed from the ground up to almost never change stances and warriors, DKs, and hunters have all come around to that design. Paladins had most of their auras removed and the rest converted to cooldowns.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
the only aspects that still have a use is cheeta and pack, all aspects work as aura and i believe the reason for hawk to still be an aspect and not baseline is probably to give you a small dps loss as well as the daze effect to prevent you from abusing both speed boost aspects

if you didnt have to keep hawk on for more dps you could just keep casting cheetah with the glyph that remove the daze effect and have the speed boost forever..

we have a ton of keybinds so i really dislike the idea of turning our aspects in cds >.<
Reply Quote
Nah, they're not interesting at all but Cheetah is still situationally useful -- get the Cheetah minor glyph so you aren't dazed when hit and bind AotC to Disengage. Bind hawk to offensive shots. Passive semi-Posthaste without actually using the talent point on it. Good for reverse-disengaging when FC'ing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
If they try to run around and change every single spell or mechanic that isn't ZOMG amazing all the time we'd never get any cool new toys. Aspects as they are right now get the job done, don't create unneeded annoyances, and really don't need fiddling with imo.

Most of the changes that have been made up until now were relatively needed, sometimes because of other changes to the class...if they change something else that would need aspect messing with then by all means...but without some outside influence I don't see the issue.
Edited by Feyranna on 3/15/2013 5:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
The hunter class is still bloated with just too many things to keybind. Something needs to give. I think they could stand to eliminate aspects as they are no longer relevent. Who would really miss Cheetah, Pack and the other one you glyph?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
03/15/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Eurugan
viper, for mana regeneration on attack hit at the price of 50% reduced dmg (also had viper sting which siphoned mana from target to refill our mana pool)

wat
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
03/15/2013 06:17 PMPosted by Skoai
viper, for mana regeneration on attack hit at the price of 50% reduced dmg (also had viper sting which siphoned mana from target to refill our mana pool)

wat

Back then hunters had mana, not focus, when we ran out of mana mid fight, we sacrificed 50% of our dps in order to refill our mana pool.
Reply Quote
8 Goblin Warrior
03/15/2013 07:03 PMPosted by Eurugan

wat

Back then hunters had mana, not focus, when we ran out of mana mid fight, we sacrificed 50% of our dps in order to refill our mana pool.
It was also based on how much Intellect we had so we an addon switch out our typically 2h melee weapon for two one handers with intellect enchants so we would have a shorter time needed to be in Aspect of the Viper.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Who would really miss Cheetah, Pack and the other one you glyph?

I'd very much miss Cheetah. I use it extensively out in the world when doing Archaeology, running from one quest mob to the next (over short distances that makes mounting silly), and occasionally in kiting mobs that move fast (though that was more of an ex-use, since there aren't any of those these days).

Pack and Beast... Eh. I like the concept of Beast, but don't really use it (remember when it used to be used alongside Bestial Wrath since it did +10% melee attack power for pets?). I like Pack as group utility, but it doesn't matter much to me personally.

I really would like to see aspects 'rise from the grave', so to speak, as something useful. But the big problem in trying to do that for hunters is that we have a single role -- DPS. Most other classes with Aspect-like mechanics use them to swap roles entirely. About the most you could do with them, for combat usage, is something like an AoE vs. single-target toggle, or toggling different sorts of utility (i.e., Aspect of the Widow -> auto shots apply Mortal Wounds, Aspect of the Placeholder Animal -> arcane shots apply a snare, etc.).

It was also based on how much Intellect we had so we an addon switch out our typically 2h melee weapon for two one handers with intellect enchants so we would have a shorter time needed to be in Aspect of the Viper.

My big raiding days pre-Cata were in TBC. Fel Mana Potions are still listed as my most-consumed mana potion.
Edited by Yuyn on 3/15/2013 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Hunter
IF you pvp and take full use of hunter abilities you will end up using more than hawk. For instance cheetah / pack to run flags until enemies get close and if you are like me, you use Aspect of the Beast minor glyph so you can be untrackable which I sometimes use when stalking someone.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Aspect of the Beast, thats the name of the 4th aspect. I couldn't remember.

I really would like to see aspects 'rise from the grave', so to speak, as something useful. But the big problem in trying to do that for hunters is that we have a single role -- DPS.

My issue is how many spells and abilities hunters have. Its too many presently. To play a hunter even just adequately you'd need about 50 keybinds I'm guessing. To play a hunter well, maybe 60? If you've been playing a hunter for a while you'll have adapted, but I still think its too much. Aspects are now a weak link which could safely be removed in my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
You do not need to keybind every single ability you might possibly ever use, you CAN click some things...aspects are one of those things now depending on how you play. Just because you can't handle the keybinds doesn't mean we need to go taking away our spells!

Also not sure where you're getting 50, I've got about 30ish. Yes hunters (and priests, we aren't alone!) have LOTS of keybinds, we always have.

If we're going to reduce clutter let's get into the super situational abilities like widow venom, tranq shot, master's call, distracting shot...I use those but I'd rather give them up than our stance bar. Or we could keep our abilities, don't bind/hotbar the ones you don't use and let people that do use their abilities keep them. It's "decluttering" that lost us the most fun spell in the entire game, remember that.
Edited by Feyranna on 3/16/2013 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]