Popular games you've never played?

100 Human Mage
We all know those games that everyone considers genre-defining, best of its' era, etc. However, for some reason or another, quite a few of us have never actually played them during the time they were relevant, if at all. What're the major games you never really tried?

For me, it was Ocarina of Time up until fairly recently, when I finally caved and got a 3DS (mainly because my old DS, as I found out, was incompatible with Pokemon Black and White's online trading). My first console was the Xbox, so I obviously missed out on the N64, and my roommate in Freshman year was a major Nintendo fanboy, who ultimately got the idea for OoT stuck in my head.

I'll admit, it's... Not quite as epic as he made it out to be, but from what I can tell (since I'm avoiding plot summaries like the plague), I've still got a ways to go, considering I just got the titular instrument.
Reply Quote
11 Blood Elf Rogue
i havnt played the dead space series yet, im considering on buying the whole trilogy
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Pokemon.

Honeslty, it's a game I should love, since I love JRPGs and the entire Pokemon franchise is just a sub-genre of the JRPG, but I just can't bring myself to play it. I was working for Babbages (old name for Gamestop) the year it came out, and it was EVERYWHERE, and people were going crazy about it (almost Tickle-Me-Elmo crazy) that Christmas, and it became bad by association. 15 years later, I still won't go near it. I also tend to avoid other monster-collector RPGs because of the association with Pokemon.

Haven't touched a Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and I haven't touched a Mario or Metroid since early Gamecube.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Majoras Mask. My cousin would usually hog the tv when we were younger. He'd always play Ocarina of Time. I only played the younger Link parts but stopped once Link got the Master Sword. So I really had no interest in Majoras Mask. Mostly because it meant my cousin would be hogging the tv when I would rather be playing Starfox 64.

Figured I'd just pick one game to talk about.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
But the child part of OOT was just that, child's play! That game really picked up when you became an adult, and so does the difficulty. The Forest Temple is still arguably the hardest Zelda dungeon.

While OOT3D is a good port that stays true to the original, you gotta realize the game is 15 years old and has NOT aged well. Is the 10s acrosd the board and 99 on Metacritic justified? At the time yes, but today every 3D Zelda has surpassed OOT in quality with the exception of Skyward Sword. With Aonuma directing Zelda Wii U though, I have faith the franchise will be redeemed.

As for me, I've played the Mario, Zelda, Smash, Metroid, Pokemon, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Bioshock, God of War, Uncharted, Gears, Halo, and CoD.

But I guess Final Fantasy, even if no one likes it anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
But the child part of OOT was just that, child's play! That game really picked up when you became an adult, and so does the difficulty. The Forest Temple is still arguably the hardest Zelda dungeon.

I was really really young when I did that part of the game. I know kids are capable of beating that game. I just got bored after the Master Sword is found. And I was happy enough that I figured out how to get there all on my own.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Halo.
Reply Quote
69 Undead Mage
Can't say that I didn't play Halo as I did...all of five minutes.
Never saw what the big deal was with that game.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Hm... let's see, any of the Zelda or FF games, and on the MMO note ultima online.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
i havnt played the dead space series yet, im considering on buying the whole trilogy

This and I even own dead space 1 and 2 (got them cheap on steam sale) and I've never gotten around to playing them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Lots of things. There's only so much time in the day and days in the week. Also, WoW. As we all know, WoW eats up a lot of spare time that could be devoted to other pursuits.

I am into retro-gaming. Since the rise of decent hand-held consoles and online services, you see a lot of recycled titles from the glory days of both console and PC gaming--a lot of which I missed the first time around.

Since I picked up a 3DS, I've been hitting a lot of the reissued old school JRPGs I missed the first time or two around (FF, Chrono Trigger, Zelda, etc). Also, GoG is a fantastic resource for PC retro-gaming and I have a long list of things to find time for...somehow.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Also, GoG is a fantastic resource for PC retro-gaming and I have a long list of things to find time for...somehow.

I know what you mean. I've been meaning to get around to playing Planescape: Torment for a while now. x.x
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I've never played a Final Fantasy/Zelda/Mario game.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Playing 5 minutes of a Halo game and deciding "I don't like it" is pretty stupid.

Why not play the first 5 minutes of OOT where all you do is find rupees for a shield?
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Some genres/forms of a medium just don't appeal to a person at all, perhaps? And, granted, I'll admit that Halo was my first FPS ever, so it was a bit disorienting when pretty much all of my games prior to that had been from a third-person perspective.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I haven't played Final Fantasy or much of Mass Effect :/
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
Mass Effect, Dead Space, Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, League of Legends (Dota 2 pureblood here), Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Age of Empires, any of the Metroids, Earthbound, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, and most of the current-day name-brands from the PS3 like Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted.

And that is just scratching the surface. Maybe I should get a job so I can buy these or something (okay, not Call of Duty).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Bioshock, but I will eventually.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Some genres/forms of a medium just don't appeal to a person at all, perhaps? And, granted, I'll admit that Halo was my first FPS ever, so it was a bit disorienting when pretty much all of my games prior to that had been from a third-person perspective.

I still reserve judgment on games until I have played at least an hour of them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]