Why must we fly to Silken Fields?

100 Goblin Mage
Much like most other professions, tailors have a once-per-day pattern that makes a rare material used in higher-end tailoring patterns. Namely, Imperial Silk.

Making it requires you to be in Silken Fields, a good two-minute-ish manual flight away from Shrine of Two Moons.

...Why?

Can we please remove that location requirement? It's silly, pointless, and wastes time.

Enchanters don't have to be any special place to perform their daily Sha Crystal combine. Alchemists need nothing beyond their alchemy stone doodad (which they always presumably have with them) to do their daily transmute. Jewelcrafters don't need to be anyplace special to do their daily research, and only need an anvil for their daily Serpent's Heart.

Why should tailoring be any different?

Yeah, I know, this sounds nitpicky. But it still makes absolutely no sense to me, either from a game design or game logic standpoint (though the latter is admitedly worth basically nil)
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
I was just thinking about this lol

Tailoring has always had weird stuff. You used to have to go to a moonwell to make mooncloth.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Would you like blizz to cut up your food and feed you too?

2 mins? are you serious?

God forbid
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
dont worry BS will have to go to Isle of thunder to make lightning steel ingots
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Tailoring has always had weird stuff. You used to have to go to a moonwell to make mooncloth.

You still have to go to the Moonwell to make mooncloth. I just did it for some strange reason for someone who wanted a transmog piece.

I remember when we had to go all over Outland to make our different cloths and one of them I had to kill something that attacked you right after you made the cloth. I died the first time. At least now I don't die when I go to the Silken Fields, instead I just get a piece of cloth and my 1 millioneth imperial silk worm pet.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Warrior
Tailoring has almost always had this kind of thing. At least there is only one type of cloth now and the flight is fairly short.

Now flying all over outland everyday to make your daily cloth. That was annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Alchemy flaskmaking used to require a trip into Scholomance to use the alchemy tables there, and had a per-day cooldown.

Smelting and crafting Dark Iron used to (and still does) require a trip into Blackrock Depths to use the Black Forge and Black Anvil.

Learning max enchanting used to require vising a trainer hidden inside Uldaman... for every new recipe you learned as you leveled past a certain point, back you'd go.

Cooking, Fishing, and First Aid used to need quest-chains that sent you all over Azeroth to max-out your skills.

Quit whining about a two-minute ride.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I think the point is they removed all those annoying location requirements for other professions, but tailoring got stuck with them.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I think the point is they removed all those annoying location requirements for other professions, but tailoring got stuck with them.

Give it time. Took forever for each class to lose reagent requirements for their spells, but it happened little by little.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I have never had a problem with the requirement.

I just wish the silly vendors there sold some decent patterns.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You're making a silk cocoon. You need the silk worms to make the cocoon. It's a lore reason I guess? It's not a big deal, I have to go to my farm anyway for nice things.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
03/15/2013 10:52 PMPosted by Wykea

Give it time. Took forever for each class to lose reagent requirements for their spells, but it happened little by little.

They did get rid of the location requirement for tailors in Wrath towards the end of it and I don't think Cata had one. They brought it back.

I don't mind it too much, I just swing by the field after doing my daily farming.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
Alchemy flaskmaking used to require a trip into Scholomance to use the alchemy tables there, and had a per-day cooldown.

Smelting and crafting Dark Iron used to (and still does) require a trip into Blackrock Depths to use the Black Forge and Black Anvil.

These two I understand. Make these things more valuable by making them legitimately difficult to make. It's iffy, but I still wouldn't complain.

03/15/2013 10:48 PMPosted by Wykea
Learning max enchanting used to require vising a trainer hidden inside Uldaman... for every new recipe you learned as you leveled past a certain point, back you'd go.

Kinda like the above, I'd understand this, though we are starting to cross a line of ridiculousness (hence why it was removed)

Quit whining about a two-minute ride.

I'll quit whining about it when there's actually a point to it. This location requirement doesn't add difficulty because there's no danger in getting there. It doesn't add value because the once-per-day limit already does a great job of keeping the supply down. I fail to see any reason why it exists anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
03/15/2013 11:00 PMPosted by Sayne

They did get rid of the location requirement for tailors in Wrath towards the end of it and I don't think Cata had one. They brought it back.

I don't mind it too much, I just swing by the field after doing my daily farming.

...I had to fly out to Dragonblight a few months ago.

Either my game's bugged or they didn't remove those requirements.

Tried crafting it in town and gave the stupid dragon shrine error.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter

You sure? I remember being ecstatic about that change in Wrath and when I powerleveled up tailoring a couple months back I made the special cloth from Wrath and never left town.
Edited by Sayne on 3/15/2013 11:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

You sure? I remember being ecstatic about that change in Wrath and when I powerleveled up tailoring a couple months back I made the special cloth from Wrath and never left town.

I had to craft something... one of the flying carpets? Not sure. But I needed one of the wrath cloth. Like 5 of them.

I had to fly all the way out to Dragonblight to do so. Pissed me off. It's possible it was just a bug in 5.0 or 5.1 or something, but I know I had to.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
To make my armor for transmog i had to go to Black Rock Depths, use the black forge to smelt the dark iron, then go back on this toon and use the black anvil to actually create it. I don't mind the flying to silken fields lol :D
Reply Quote
94 Undead Warlock
Pandarian law stipulates that all Imperial Silk must be manufactured at the Silken Fields. Protectionism, you see.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Out in the world! Immersion! Other random buzzwords that mean "random inconveniences for no clear reason!"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Pandarian law stipulates that all Imperial Silk must be manufactured at the Silken Fields. Protectionism, you see.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]