Is this rude? Discipline Priest as DPS.

90 Gnome Priest
Hello all!

I'm pretty new to the game (Before the last few months I've only played for a month two years ago when I was snowed in.) But I can honestly say I am having a blast as a Discipline Priest. I can't stand playing pure DPS (I just feel so useless when compared to using my tank or Illy here) and I feel like you have far more control over a LFD when you are playing a healer; you are a LOT less likely to have that annoying instance as a dps when the healer/tank leave after the first boss or you're you initiate a pull only to see the healer start running AWAY to skin a few dead mobs.

Now, I usually que as DPS/Healer when I try to enter LFD. For some reason, when ever I AM put in as a DPS, I am suddenly subjected to quite a bit of harassment (lol nub, why aren't you shadow? L2P) even though I am usually in the top 3 of the DPS chart, AND I've helped the healer when stuff goes terribly wrong and we are angling for a wipe. (Hunter pulls four groups of mobs as we engage boss? OK, pop Soul Shell and Prayer of Healing to give everyone a buffer as the healer focuses on the tank!)

So I'm just wondering, should I just dual spec as shadow to nip these complaints in the bud? I don't want to be mean, but in every instance I've seen a shadow spec priest, I've pulled greater damage even if it was passively cause thanks to Atonement.

Thank you for the help!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
At your level, I wouldnt care what other people were saying. Seeing as most Dungeons around your level seem to be able to be done without a healer with the amount of self healing the tanks do, DPS away as disc. You're downing things faster with more DPS, and helping the healer keep people alive.

At high levels, IE LK stuff, I would gain a shadow offspec, because thats when healing seems to become sort of intensive.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
You are right at the level where shadow starts to take off and be better than disc for dps, but I wouldn't worry about what people in lfd are saying (generally in lfd people are going to complain about SOMETHING, even worse under cata levels when they barely need to look at their screen to complete the content so they are free to type more)

If you plan to continue to dps you really should go ahead and make a shadow spec (imo) there's nothing wrong with playng a dps and if it's any help shadow does have a really nice group healing cooldown :)

It's sort of a good surprise/bad surprise sort of deal.

1. SURPRISE Your healer can do the dps of a dps and still keep health bars full!
2. SURPRISE Your dps is actually a healer, while they may do enough damage they now make the dedicated healer feel useless and a pure dps could perhaps do more dps

Is it rude to Q as disc dps below level cap (in particular sub-level 60)? No, not at all.
Edited by Feyranna on 3/16/2013 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Pandaren Monk
Leveling this monk in dungeons from 15-80, I have always had Brewmaster/Mistweaver as specs. With full BoAs, even if I do on the rare occasion get queued as DPS, I can do competitive numbers as a Tiger Brewmaster, or lately I have just been Fistweaving.

Knowing some healers do get butthurt if a Disc/Fist does their 'job' I usually ask if they mind if I fistweave for DPS. So far, none have objected, but that might be because I ask nicely first. If I got into a group who honestly objects to it I would probably just pop out and take the next group.

On my priest, she leveled near the start of MoP in the same way, though she just DPS'd as Disc to heal. Often topped the charts all the way up to around level 80. There were a few DPS that got butthurt that the healer was outdamaging them, but meh.

The BoAs make a -huge- difference. Like, I could not imagine leveling a new toon now, without them. I hate my level 62 DK because I have no plate BoAs. xD Ultimately, if your group gets through the dungeon, without too much hassle, there is no reason to think what you are doing is wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Thanks for all the info! I've been interested in the Shadow Spec from a "it looks cool" perspective, but knowing it finally is going to come into its own now is nice. I might use it for quests. Also, that's a good point about the other healer feeling useless- especially since I've been insanely lucky on gear drops so far.

Also, I'll just clear it up a bit; This is my first healer, and I LOVE healing. Just ten minutes ago, I was in a LFD (blackrock spire) and someone pulled an exact leeroy jenkins (as in, he yelled LEEROY JENKINS and popped like half the eggs before dying). It took my entire mana pool, all my CD's and popping both my trinkets, but I was able to keep the the tank and myself alive. It's a great feeling. I'll probably just que as dedicated healer from now on.

By the way, what are BoAs? Haven't head that term before.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I've out DPSed shadow priests in LFG on my alliance priest through the 50-70 range. I've even see one switch specs to disc quietly in Ramparts. Glyph your holy fire if it isn't too expensive though. It's a bit gear dependent though.

Surprisingly, holy priest DPS is even better than disc once you get the DPS chakra. 58 I think it is? But it would be a good idea to learn how to play shadow before you hit 90 since that's really the only DPS spec you should use 85+.

And BoAs/heirlooms are pieces of gear that scale up with your level and provide experience bonuses. They're easier to get when you have a 90 and it makes leveling new characters really easy. Some cost gold + guild rep the others cost honor/justice points/darkmoon faire tickets.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Surprisingly, holy priest DPS is even better than disc once you get the DPS chakra. 58 I think it is? But it would be a good idea to learn how to play shadow before you hit 90 since that's really the only DPS spec you should use 85+.

Actually, I still occasionally run dungeons in Smite Chakra, and pull good dps. ;P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It may be less of a hassle to take the path of least resistance and respec when someone gives you grief. You do have an offspec available, so I mean... why not use it? Is it worth being denigrated to stand up for this principle? Pick your battles, this one is silly. The dungeon will get done either way, but it will probably get done just as quickly and with far less hassle if you just go along with people's preconceived notions. Or start queuing ONLY as healer so you don't have to worry about it (you can still smite and penance mobs to do the vast majority of your healing, since you have atonement). 5 mans are ridiculously easy. Whatever gets you through the dungeon, you know?

As an aside, when atonement healing in random heroics, I'm regularly top dps in the group. I pull eh, 35k-40k. Most dps who are still running 5-mans are pretty poorly-geared (or just doing the bare minimum).
Edited by Rachey on 3/17/2013 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
It is a little rude. Not a lot, just a little.

At low levels an Atonement/Fistweaving healer really helps to tear the place up. You're a lot more beneficial in the healer slot to do this. If you get put in as dps, you do ok damage (for now), but the healer is made absolutely worthless, you're basically 4-manning it.

That other healer might be capable of slinging damage too, but there's a good chance they don't have controls set up to do that easily.
Reply Quote
44 Troll Druid
Dammit stop necroing! Time stampssssss
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Dammit stop necroing! Time stampssssss

A couple weeks old really isn't a necro - especially on these forum where stuff tends to move a lot slower. :P

OP - I see you've gotten up into Wrath content. Hopefully you still enjoy healing though Cata 5 mans may test that love depending on the group.

I just had my first H Scholo run on this Shammy and got this geared tank who felt that since they were geared I was too and therefore I could heal entire rooms. It was slightly rough (lost a DPS) and one DPS dropped. A Disc Priest came in. While I did appreciate the extra healing in that situation due to my gear, a slower run would have left me with not tons to do (I have a Disc priest and know how crazy efficient it can be to heal with) plus he was only at around 25k-30k. In that exact situation it was helpful - in any other situation it would have slowed us down and not given me a whole lot to do. It is always wise to think of the healer and also if your DPS is high enough to pull off coming in for a DPS slot. At your level's up to 80 I can't see a problem though.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Queue as a healer only, but dps anyway. That's what I do in both LFD and LFR, and it works out perfectly.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Queue as a healer only, but dps anyway. That's what I do in both LFD and LFR, and it works out perfectly.

Exactly. Fast healer queue, dps anyway. Then everyone should in theory be happy. I know I'd raise an eyebrow a bit to see disc or holy queuing as dps, even if they outdps the others. Mostly wondering why they would choose the dps wait time...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I've seen holy/disc que as dps. In dungeons, I didn't really care unless they needed on healer gear but then again, you said you're in heirlooms, so you're not going ot be needing on lots of things.

In LFR I definitely don't care, because atonement healing is pretty decent, and honestly, 6 healers for the LFR is usually overkill.

Just be willing to switch it up if you're asked. I find that people who are annoyed at it won't be so annoyed if you switch to shadow spec or end up healing. It makes them feel better and averts you from an arguement.
Reply Quote
I'd get the shadow off spec.

It was extremely annoying to me when a disc priest was dpsing. All I wanted to do was get through the dungeon for the quest xp. If a healer was dpsing it was quite annoying knowing we could be getting through the dungeon faster if he would let me do my job and not half my job and half dps.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I'd get the shadow off spec.

It was extremely annoying to me when a disc priest was dpsing. All I wanted to do was get through the dungeon for the quest xp. If a healer was dpsing it was quite annoying knowing we could be getting through the dungeon faster if he would let me do my job and not half my job and half dps.

Except that while levelling a disc priest in full boas you are going to be doing more damage as disc than shadow up until northtrend, and even then the difference in dps is going to be negligible.

I was topping meters against BoA tanks while levelling as disc. I haven't even touched a shadow spec on this character even while levelling through MoP.

The bottom line is, if you are pulling your weight as DPS (i.e. keeping up with the other dps specs),there is no problem with it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It's rude by the developers to have had such an oversight to allow a healing spec to dps that much while providing very meaningful healing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Lets see so far priest are told U cant dps because its wrong and with 5.3 atonement is taken away (nerfed). we cant heal since our healing spelling have been MESSED up with 5.2.

Why are priest even in this game? our only way of healing has been destroyed again and now we are not allowed to dps heal. so SEROIUSLY WHAT ARE WE ALLOWED TO DO TO HEAL OTHERS WITH NOW...BANDAGES?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Lets see so far priest are told U cant dps because its wrong and with 5.3 atonement is taken away (nerfed). we cant heal since our healing spelling have been MESSED up with 5.2.

Why are priest even in this game? our only way of healing has been destroyed again and now we are not allowed to dps heal. so SEROIUSLY WHAT ARE WE ALLOWED TO DO TO HEAL OTHERS WITH NOW...BANDAGES?

Penance, PW:S glyph, Greater heal, void shift when you absolutely have to, heck even renew.

As disc, you should be using more than Atonement to heal. Disc is shielding first, dps secondary.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Get out of here. You complain that the sky is falling and that the wolves have come, but you have no viable proof, no projections--nothing but rhetoric and caps lock.

The Devs are not gods, but they are also not idiots. Our healing was fixed to bring it in line with the rest of the healing community. Disc in 5.1 was too powerful, and that's just that.
Edited by Naérdriel on 4/5/2013 4:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]