GTX 690 or GTX Titan?

100 Human Hunter
Which one is better? I've been reading stuff online and I'm still trying to draw a conclusion. If GTX can tone down the micro stuttering it would be worth it just for that.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
GTX 690 is still bit more powerful than the single-GPU Titan.

GeForce never really had microstuttering problem.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
I take it the GTX 690 is better than the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202005

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100351-6GVXSR Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
I'm running two 30 inch monitors and a 24 inch monitor. Trying to figure out which overpriced card will work best.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, of course... GTX 690 is a dual-GPU solution, while HD 7970 is a single GPU solution...
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
I didn't realize 690 was a dual GPU. I was looking for the best single GPU.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Best single GPU is now a GeForce Titan, but it's not worth it in terms of price-performance ratio.

GeForce Titan is for users that want absolute top single-GPU performance (even if it's just 15%~30% more) regardless of the $.

For the most of us... HD 7970 GHz Edition is a far better deal. For the price of a single GeForce Titan, you can buy 2x HD 7970 GHz Edition with some money left over.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Best single GPU is now a GeForce Titan, but it's not worth it in terms of price-performance ratio.

GeForce Titan is for users that want absolute top single-GPU performance (even if it's just 15%~30% more) regardless of the $.

For the most of us... HD 7970 GHz Edition is a far better deal. For the price of a single GeForce Titan, you can buy 2x HD 7970 GHz Edition with some money left over.

Is this the card you're talking about
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100351-6GVXSR Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB

Or are you talking about the 3GB version?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Either. There's no performance difference between 6GB and 3GB version
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter

Wow... well I know there's a $200 difference... That sucks. Well, I'll return that 6gb version on Monday. That $65 restocking fee isn't too bad. I only opened the box but hadn't had it installed.
Edited by Galluccio on 3/16/2013 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
If I could get lower temperatures with the 6gb version that would be beneficial.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
This is the deal. I have the biggest computer at the office right now by far. Everyone else has these little laptops. I went big and bold and it's kinda my reputation now. On friday, I pulled ouit the 7970 6bg and it's looking like a "jet engine" and it kinda builds on my reputation.

Everyone else has these fancy cars but I'm that geek with the giant computer. So, I almost would be willing to pay a bit more just for the bling.

Will a 7970 3gb non overclocked version and a 7970 3gb overclocked version go together? Or, even one of those cards with a 7970 6gb overclocked. Could I do a triple card system with those. Not that I would want to do it...
Edited by Galluccio on 3/16/2013 3:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Radeon 7990? :D
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
As long as it's a 7970, it doesn't matter which 7970 you pair up with.

But remember the following:

1. If clocks are different between the cards, the faster one will run slower to match slower card's speed.

2. If VRAM amount is different, it'll match the smaller one. (IE) 6GB and 3GB means XFire setup will only use up to 3GB).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
03/16/2013 03:39 PMPosted by Galluccio

Wow... well I know there's a $200 difference... That sucks. Well, I'll return that 6gb version on Monday. That $65 restocking fee isn't too bad. I only opened the box but hadn't had it installed.

6GB would only be necessary if you are doing EXTREMELY high resolutions and high res textures. For something like a 6-monitor Eyefinity setup I could definitely see it.

For most practical use, even at high resolutions and high res textures, 3GB is MORE than enough.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I didn't realize 690 was a dual GPU. I was looking for the best single GPU.

Then the Titan is your boy. 3gig vs. 6gig probably won't amount to much, but if you're spending this much money, may as well go whole-hog and get the 6gig. If you are going multi-monitor, it will probably help a bit.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Go Nvidia or go home! And don't take it from any fanboys such as myself, take it from the numerous gaming benchmarks proving that Nvidia has always had the edge- with features, performance, and badassness :D

You are very wrong and it's clear you are a fanboy. AMD beat Nvidia this generation in both performance and price at every price point. From the lowly 7750 all the way up to the 7970 and 7990. The only exception is Titan, only because AMD chose not to waste R&D on a $1000 card that very few people will buy due to price. Titan is a waste of money, way past the "diminishing returns" point, and more of an epeen measuring stick than a card. AMD certainly could have made a competitor to Titan, they just chose not to because there is no point in designing something that won't sell.

By the time Titan is affordable, it will have long since been outperformed by cheaper/newer cards from both AMD and Nvidia.
Edited by Mogrigg on 3/23/2013 6:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
03/22/2013 01:14 PMPosted by Mogrigg
Go Nvidia or go home! And don't take it from any fanboys such as myself, take it from the numerous gaming benchmarks proving that Nvidia has always had the edge- with features, performance, and badassness :D

You are very wrong and it's clear you are a fanboy. AMD beat Nvidia this generation in both performance and price at every price point. From the lowly 7750 all the way up typo the 7970 and 7990. The only exception is Titan, only because AMD chose not to waste R&D on a $1000 card that very few people will buy due to price. Titan is a waste of money, way past the "diminishing returns" point, and more of an epeen measuring stick than a card. AMD certainly could have made a competitor to Titan, they just chose not to because there is no point in designing something that won't sell.

By the time Titan is affordable, it will have long since been outperformed by cheaper/newer cards from both AMD and Nvidia.

And you're clearly an AMD fanboy. Performance was flipping between both camps with every new driver release. Even the 670 was beating the 7970 before the Never Settle drivers dropped and SLI is still the go-to option for multi GPU solutions. That said, the 7970 does beat the stock 680 in both price and performance currently. We don't even need to get into features or the histories of either side. Just understand that both sides have good things and bad things but neither side "won" at all with this generation. The Titan is just a "because we can" GPU and its a godsend for mini ITX builds and extreme SLI setups because of its huge amount of VRAM but neither of those extreme building styles care about the money they spend anyways. You pay top dollar to have the undisputed best hardware.

Sidenote: People always seem to forget about the 680 Lightning and how MSI pissed off nvidia by giving voltage control. The newer ones are locked and are a hassle to convert but the older ones compete with and can easily beat OC'd 7970s. So, like I said, neither side "won".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]