Fire mages - what's your crit?

90 Pandaren Mage
I was wondering what spell crit ratio the beloved Fire mages who read these forums have. Having finally gotten past ilvl 500, I tried out Fire last night. Our guild runs ToT, but last night decided to run Terrace - Lei Shi on 10N so I thought it was the perfect chance to try Fire out. We knew the fight, and I figure Scorch would be great on her "Get Away!" phase.

I have to say, at 30% Crit Ratio, I had terrible luck with crits. We pop Time Warp on the pull and throughout 30 of the 40 seconds of Time Warp, I had not a single "Heating Up" come up, which I found so odd given that most people say 30% spell crit is a good time to switch to Fire.

Overall, throughout the fight, I found myself doing DPS that was I would describe as average at best. Given that I've been Frost for 6 months, I'm obviously more comfortable with Frost than Fire, but I have to say, the Crit streaks for me were awful. I even tried a Galleon and Sha kill to see how things looked.

It seems that even now, at ilvl 503, I perform better at Frost. I follow Mr. Robot's reforging/gemming for my Fire spec, and generally every time I switch from Frost to Fire Mr. Robot pulls down my intellect, spell power, & haste in a trade off for Crit. Meaning I have better base spell power as Frost.

So I was wondering, what's everyone's Crit% at? I know I generally have terrible luck with procs in general, but I don't think it should be so awful.

I could re-try Fire if I get to maybe 35% Crit Ratio I suppose...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
34.57% self buffed, I have a few poorly itemized pieces of gear it was formerly upper 35s but the higher item level outweighed it. (507).

I do competitive dps on the fights that aren't tailor made to make mages suck like Tortos.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I am at 32.96 self buffed, and am happy with my crit. I have been doing competitive dps and even ranked like 43rd on Jin'rokh
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
I am at 35.84% self buffed, over 36% raid buffed. New trinket has helped lots, Getting more consistency now.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I was rocking 31.5% self buffed when I was still fire earlier this week. Ended up going frost because I just don't have the ilvl to back it(only at 492 in my PvE gear). I hate it too because frost is just so damn boring, but I do much more DPS at my gear level with it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
31-32% raid buffed but switched to frost cuz this 482 ilvl frost was wiping my butt and im 505/506 fire ><
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
504 item level, 34% self-buffed, and . . .

I've gone to frost. I'm not sure what has happened this week-end, but I seem to be playing frost really well or something cause it's just easily exceeding my fire DPS.

My issue with fire at this crit level wasn't really getting procs, but combustions still weren't very big. They were bigger pre-patch while wearing gear specced for arcane frankly. I also seriously miss the LB cleave. Multi-dotting NT proved to be something I didn't enjoy at all.

As frost, I use frost bomb, and blazing speed has proven to be what I most favour on that tier right now. I think I also basically really like the fact that I always know what I should do because the current pve spec comes down to monitoring cds and responding to procs.

I also really enjoy the AOE side of Frost. With fire and the elimination of the LB cleave, it basically comes down to multi-dotting NT. With frost, if they are adds, you do a freeze, then ice lance, cause that will automatically hit another mobs for 50%, and you throw up a frost bomb cause you notice all the adds are stacked together with the second tank, so then that hits all the adds at once. Also, of course, you throw out frozen orb and begin ice lance spam along with your brain freezes and continual bombs. If they are adds and you run out of ice lance procs, you can hit freeze and gain more, especially if there are several. It's fun frankly.

So yeah, I think I'm gonna continue this frosty path for the time being.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
im at 33.65 crit self buffed *acrane intel and molten armor after factoring the 1.3 modifer from critical mass i am at 43.74% crit and i still do better deepz as frost

item level doesnt matter its the crit that u look at fire sooo im probably gonna stay frost and check back again at item lvl 515
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
30% base = approx 27% against raid bosses due to crit suppression. I have just under 30% self buffed and it's not close to making fire better than frost. Fire, however, is more fun to play.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
I think im at about 34 % crit with flask and self buffs. You really HAVE to make use of alter time with 4 to 5 pyros at pull (fight depending) on your combustion otherwise you're not gonna pull good numbers. I think every first and third combust lines up with alter time. Even after the nerf you can still manage large ticks on your combustion.

I will admit tho going frost is def something easy to settle into. And on fights like Horridon , you mages using frost bomb I highly recommend using NT and watch your FFB dmg go crazy . I pull ridiculous numbers as frost on Horridon even gemmed and forged fire sadly : /
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
In ~490 gear, raid buffed I was at ~34%, liked the flow, problem was damage just wasn't there compared to lesser geared Frost mages.

So I have gone Frost for the time being, nite and day is the difference of using Frost on AoE and Fire. Best I can hope for with Fire is to get a good combust to spread, maybe pull 120k in that scenario, whereas with frost using Frost Orb and Ice Lance procs its easy to spike 200k+ damage. On single target, it seems about equal if I can get good Combusts, however never seem to need to "get good Frost Orbs" to equal Fire damage.

Hoping once I can reach 520 ish level, fire pulls ahead for me, as I really enjoy that playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
34% crit buffed still to low for my liking so just frost atm, going to try fire again when I get 2 piece tier 15 and hope I can have enough crit, if not will wait till 4 piece =(
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
OP, I'm like you... unfortunately most of the 522 pieces I picked up are mastery, so although I'm at 503, my self buff crit is a smidgen above 30%. Fishing for crits is painful, especially during lust. I guess this is why the greatest variation is in fire damage.

Need to go back to progression today, so I'll probably switch back to Frost.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
I'm really starting to think frost is actually superior to fire period. Much better consistency, extremely powerful burst AoE that doesn't require a significant amount of both setup and luck, and it isn't so incredibly frustrating when the crits just don't happen.

I'm at a point where simcraft puts fire and frost within 3k DPS of one another (frost beating fire), but fire is still plagued by RNG frustrations whereas frost is not. My gear is optimized for fire, but I can still pull consistently better numbers (barring extremely good RNG) as frost regardless.

We'll see what happens when I get a little more crit I guess, but odds are I'll be staying frost for awhile.

Tortos is one boss where I can see myself going fire, since the adds spawn in such a way that makes it ideal for spreading combustion to all of them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I'm really starting to think frost is actually superior to fire period. Much better consistency, extremely powerful burst AoE that doesn't require a significant amount of both setup and luck, and it isn't so incredibly frustrating when the crits just don't happen.

I'm at a point where simcraft puts fire and frost within 3k DPS of one another (frost beating fire), but fire is still plagued by RNG frustrations whereas frost is not. My gear is optimized for fire, but I can still pull consistently better numbers (barring extremely good RNG) as frost regardless

Imagine you had to choose between two jobs:

A) Pays $20 an hour and is easy

B) Pays $20 an hour, sometimes, and is difficult to execute.

That kinda tells you how many people will pick between fire and frost I think.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
31% self buffed. Probably a little low, but I only have time for LFR these days and fire is my favorite spec to play.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage

I'm at a point where simcraft puts fire and frost within 3k DPS of one another (frost beating fire), but fire is still plagued by RNG frustrations whereas frost is not. My gear is optimized for fire, but I can still pull consistently better numbers (barring extremely good RNG) as frost regardless

Except option B will range from 15-25 dollars an hour and you enjoy it more.

B is the obvious choice for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
38.24 self buffed
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage

Except option B will range from 15-25 dollars an hour and you enjoy it more.

B is the obvious choice for me.

Before Blizz removed pet freeze and Evo cooldown on Invo, I actually felt that Frost was really hard because there were so many CDs and procs to watch. And trying to get 2 FoFs with a Brainfreeze for Alter time bursts is too much RNG for me to enjoy. But now, I think it's a lot easier.

My problems with fire is that I sometimes don't know whether not getting a crit when I do the Fireball+Pyro combo when both heating up proc and pyro procs are up, is due to timing error or just bad luck. But when I get a row of crits, that's pretty fun :)

Ultimately, I think I still prefer Arcane :P
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Before Blizz removed pet freeze and Evo cooldown on Invo, I actually felt that Frost was really hard because there were so many CDs and procs to watch. And trying to get 2 FoFs with a Brainfreeze for Alter time bursts is too much RNG for me to enjoy. But now, I think it's a lot easier.

It's honestly much more forgiving than you're making it out to be, even using freeze. It's also certainly more dependant on RNG than it was when you had on demand FoF charges
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]