Fire mages - what's your crit?

90 Gnome Mage
517 ilvl

36% crit, 39% with trinket proc

so that's 49% with critical mass just about

on twin consorts my fireball crit chance was 25%

so dry spells still happen

pyroblasting 7 times in a row during heroism is fun though, with pom+ alter time
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
If you're below or around 500 ilvl, turn away from fire. Frost is a much better option until you grab better gear.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
30% base = approx 27% against raid bosses due to crit suppression. I have just under 30% self buffed and it's not close to making fire better than frost. Fire, however, is more fun to play.

Dang it... didn't know about crit suppression from Bosses. What are the official figures for crit suppression?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually knew about Crit Suppression from bosses which is why Frost's crit cap is at 28% and not 25% but for some reason it slipped my mind when I was playing Fire.

So basically, a 30% Crit Ratio -> 27% against bosses, which could explain the awful cold streaks I was getting. I guess I could wait and see till I have at least 35% Crit Ratio before trying Fire Again.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
32.36% Self buffed.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I'm a bit over 30, but I find that the mechanics on the new fights do more to swing my DPS than the low Crit. After some attempts I can usually put out some consistently decent numbers. DPS is low, but that will come with item level I'm sure.
Reply Quote
92 Draenei Mage
raid buffed I sit at about 37 percent. ilevel 515 and I have no issues with crits. I get a steady stream of heating up procs and usually am top damage on single target fights. I would prefer frost for multi mobs as there is just no comparison on the aoe damage. but I just love the rng when everything procs and all the stars align 150k combustions are just amazing to watch lol but its hard to time everything right but that's the life of a fire mage... if the hulk was a clothy hed be a fire mage! calm one min and hitting like a mad truck the next :)

On a side note, in my personal exp I find that having a bit of hate over crit has improved my dps overall even tho crit is my preferred stat a lil haste goes a long way on some fights where the extra ticks really make the difference. And yes the damage significantly improves with gear..at 505 I was doing ok damage....at 515 it jumped up a lot
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
As of 5.2

In terms of difficulty on skill to play.

Frost>Fire>Arcane

In terms of gearing up to play competitive.

Frost> Fire= Arcane

For fire you want 35%-40% crit. Untill then you wont see consistancy too much.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
04/30/2013 11:42 AMPosted by Icyboltz
.. if the hulk was a clothy hed be a fire mage! calm one min and hitting like a mad truck the next :)

The Hulk would be an arcane mage. As he has ramp up time to increase his damage over a course of a battle the madder he gets the stronger he gets. IE: Abx1-x4
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
510 ilvl, 36.31% self buffed, so just molten armor and int buff. I have pain stakingly picked my upgrades to provide only crit upgrades. It has always worked for me for fire is always well more than worth it in the long run. I am very happy with my dps and I don't usually have any dry streaks with lack of crit, however it does happen every so often I don't crit as much as I would like in my original burst with my like 6 instant cast pyros at the start, but more often than not I am in the clear.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
I'm just a hair under 39%. I can say with a high degree of certainty that the last 2% made the biggest difference... Literally a day and night difference. I struggled pretty heavily in the mid 30's and even considered swapping specs but decided to just stick it out.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I ran Fire tonight, Im sitting at 40% self buffed and I have to say that I wasnt pleased with the RNG at all. Im sure Fire is amazing when the stars align but I guess Im just not that lucky.

Im prob going to run Haste Frost/Arcane depending on the fight as I feel Fire is just too RNG dependent.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm just a hair under 39%. I can say with a high degree of certainty that the last 2% made the biggest difference

Agreed, 100%. And like so many others have said, in regards to fire, ilvl DOES NOT MATTER, unless your gaining so much SP that it makes your sustained better (which if thats the case, roll frost). CRIT, CRIT, CRIT is what you need to be looking at. I switched from frost to fire around 35% and was pulling mediocore damage at best to begin with. Once you hit the 38%+ crit, you will be rolling quite a few pyro's out.

I'm at 40% crit self buffed, and quite honestly, I only go 3-4 times a night with a dry spell of more than 4 fireballs (according to fights and mechanics). Make sure you're using Inferno Blasts at the correct times, and you definetly shouldn't be getting many dry streaks.
Reply Quote
36.something lol and yeah some fights i do well and others i never see a damn crit lol. today running lfr for cap was a good example of how bad it can be hahahaha. i personally am thinking now that my crit is where it is haste is gonna take major priority. which i guess is natural. also you can see im running a holy pally sword. my guild doesnt run a holy pally and we are rather casual so letting a 522 weapon wasnt really in the cards especially since it has really good stats minus of course the spirit lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'm at 39.86% crit, so with raid buffs I sit at 40 - 41% I think. The last few percentage points seem to have pushed it over the edge. I follow Vykina's recommendations about fishing for Pyro + Heating Up procs and then casting fireball + instant Pyro and it leads to a lot of crits. Doing this, I often times find myself having pyro and heating up procs 2-3 times in a row before finally one of the two don't crit.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
self buffed like 40.6% 14,600 Crit Rating and Fire still no where close to Frost on most Fights. I still enjoy playing Fire, but i feel like im still just fishing for HU/IB combos.

I finally made the the full change to Frost and regem'd all my Tier gear and TF gear to Frost. And last night I did pretty well as Frost, ranked 17 on Jin'Rhok..probably could've done better but had to run out a with orb a couple times. Frost is better than what I was doing with Fire (and with any kind of latency, Fire can suffer), but with Frost the DPS was consistent all night.

Until i can get Heroic gear or my Crit is >45% self buffed Im not interested in going back to Fire as RNG still a big factor and even then, the Fishing for procs is pretty boring.

FROST FTW!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Until i can get Heroic gear or my Crit is >45% self buffed Im not interested in going back to Fire as RNG still a big factor and even then, the Fishing for procs is pretty boring.

Im most likely going to do the same, I waited till I got to 40% self buffed and the lack of Hot Streaks, terrible combustions is making me go back to Frost. Ide love to play Fire but I feel like Im not doing the amount of DPS that I could be.
Reply Quote

Im most likely going to do the same, I waited till I got to 40% self buffed and the lack of Hot Streaks, terrible combustions is making me go back to Frost. Ide love to play Fire but I feel like Im not doing the amount of DPS that I could be.

How are you at 40% crit and still having horrible RNG issues? I understand that at maybe 30% self-buffed.. or maybe even 35% but at 40%? I understand why that can happen but I just don't see it. When I finally reached 35% (Currently 41% selfbuffed) I was having small issues with streaks of non crits.. as I started getting closer and closer to that 40% mark a lot of those issues dropped off. I ALWAYS get 80k+ combustions (100k+ at least 5 times a night on pulls) on pulls and I rarely ever have streaks where i'll have more than 4 non crits in a row. Now you can say I'm extremely lucky but I doubt it. It's no worst than being back on my frost mage where I would frostbolt back to back and get no finger of frost procs what so ever. In my opinion, Fire > Frost even with those not often but not rare lac of crits.
Edited by Westcoast on 5/1/2013 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I was at ~36% self buffed on Iron Qon, and I was still doing lower DPS than Frost. I think I will wait till 38-40% before I try again. I hate it that I can still sometimes get only 3 pyros in my alter time + PoM bursts.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
The RNG factor of the specs is actually still similar, despite our reliance on Crit. You're still relying on a proc mechanic to do good DPS in Frost. Fire just scales better with Crit than Frost does with Haste. Beyond just getting more Crit, higher gear level means more Int, which means even more Crit.

36% self buffed (no flask) after last night's two drops. (Alas, they replaced other 522s, but at least they had more Crit). I felt much more consistent already last night at 35%, looking forward to tomorrow's raid.

I was at ~36% self buffed on Iron Qon, and I was still doing lower DPS than Frost. I think I will wait till 38-40% before I try again. I hate it that I can still sometimes get only 3 pyros in my alter time + PoM bursts.

Uhm, Hot Streak, PoM, reset and repeat. That's a minimum of 4. If you're getting 3 you're doing something wrong.
Edited by Mageski on 5/1/2013 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]