My first and my last rant. 3/21/13

90 Draenei Shaman

But that's the important question, what is your goal? Why are you doing all of the dailies? What are you looking to accomplish?

The Island unlocks in stages by participation from doing said dailies. If everyone just said "screw it" on my server, it would take forever to unlock content (lightning forge, etc.) you guys gated behind the island participation aka new dailies. Technically you made the participation mandatory for anyone who wants to unlock the gated goodies and designed almost the entire content patch around dailies.

This makes me think of ghostcrawler's comment about alts feeling mandatory to get around the 2 profession limit. Sure, it's not mandatory for us to level alts for profession purposes but you give us no other option if we choose to be self sufficient. You don't want dailies feeling mandatory but you give us no other way to unlock gated content.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
what if they doubled the amount of lesser charms per daily quest?
That would at least lessen the burden of daily quests.

The thing that gets me is that we are all paying our subs anyway, so why do they need us to actually login? Wouldn't it be better to actually have a bunch of people that paid for a game but rarely logged into it, as long as they kept paying.

If people were given 3 charms/week for simply having an active account I imagine many would continue to pay the sub.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I am open to hearing alternative ideas.

What should they have done with the Isle instead?

You can put the dailies in the isle, as the OP said, daileis have always been around. You just need to provide alternative content for those that dont like it, and with this i mean new dungeons.

We already had a big chunk of dailies in 5.1, 5.2 should have given priority to dungeons.

Cata made a mistake, it gave all the focus to dungeons, MoP is making the same mistake, except changing the word from dungeons to dailies.

Also, dungeons should give access to valor rep vendors (or valor gear should be completely removed from them, talking about the 5.0 and 5.1 ones) at the same speed than dailies and you should be able to get charms from dungeons too.
Edited by Fleshgordon on 3/20/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

You can put the dailies in the isle, as the OP said, daileis have always been around. You just need to provide alternative content for those that dont like it, and with this i mean new dungeons.

We already had a big chunk of dailies in 5.1, 5.2 should have given priority to dungeons.

Cata made a mistake, it gave all the focus to dungeons, MoP is making the same mistake, except changing the word from dungeons to dailies.

The pendulum always swings too far in both directions.

Happy medium comes to mind
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Dailies still the only way to acquire the Lesser Charms for the extra loot on 5.2 raids. Anyone that takes raiding a little serious still doing dailies because of that.

5.2 dailies less mandatory than 5.1? A little, but still mandatory. Put Lesser Charm rewards on Scenarios and H Dungeons, then we can talk.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

The pendulum always swings too far in both directions.

Happy medium comes to mind

TBC and Wrath had the happy medium, Cata focused too much on dungeons, MoP turned WoW into World of Dailies.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
So much QQ.

My wife was unable to play more than an hour or two a week for about a month or two after she hit 90 on her main. In addition to several of my own toons, I did her dailys as well.

Did it get a little monotonous? Yes (as should be expected doing that many characters).

What did I do? I took a break from time to time, focusing on capping valor through LFR and daily 5-mans and Scenarios (which give a crap ton of VP for such little time investment). Some days I just took a break from the game itself. I learned to re-examine my need to "min/max" everything on every toon, and set different kinds of goals. Frankly, I'm having more fun than I have in a long time because I'm focusing on my personal fun factor, rather than some bizarre notion of "efficiency" that I used to believe in.

I understand some people don't like dailys. Frankly I think the 5-mans need to drop upgraded gear (471 ilvl) as a bit of a "catch up" mechanic and to make them more relevant. I think there could be some improvements (perhaps 10 lesser charms per scenario, 20 per 5-man).

But it's a whole heck of a lot better than the entirety of Cata (I left shortly after 4.3 and leveling my billionth alt because there was nothing to do). In fact, it's my favorite expac. And I don't want that to change because some folks can't figure out how to adapt their expectations.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

A new questing zone for level 90s with closer(er) towns to encourage pvp?
Or "isle of group quests" elite monsters and raid bosses covering the whole thing for bigger challenges?
Or full on pvp zone where you can overrun towns?

Or I don't know I'm not a game designer but this is kind of getting redundant with dailies each major patch ( and I even like alot of the Isle quests ).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
There's also not a lot of clarity about what you should be doing to progress in the most efficient way. If you hit 90 today you'd be wise to run some Heroics and only do the 5.1 dailies until you have the ilvl to queue for 5.0 LFR's, and then progress to 5.2 LFR, and you can probably ignore pretty much everything else. That is, if getting to 5.2 raids is your goal.

I think that this is certainly a large part of the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
03/20/2013 10:11 AMPosted by Arwenne
The reason I feel daily grinding is mandatory is the lesser charms of good fortune. If I miss out on my weekly chore of submitting that quest I could potentially miss out of 3 pieces of 522 gear which could undergear me for what my raidgroup wants to accomplish.

I agree with this, and I feel it's especially true for 10 man raiding.

As for other suggestions for the Isle, I don't have a problem with dailies. I have a problem with excessive numbers of them. When 5.1 came out, the new faction gave us 5 more dailies per day, and a good storyline. I felt that was fine. Why couldn't the same have been done for the Isle? 9-12 dailies for a new faction is excessive.

First, again, for the charms, it takes maybe 10 minutes a day if you choose your dailies wisely.

Second, why do you think you need to do all 9-12 new dailies every day?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

Or "isle of group quests" elite monsters and raid bosses covering the whole thing for bigger challenges?

Or I don't know I'm not a game designer but this is kind of getting redundant with dailies each major patch ( and I even like alot of the Isle quests ).

I agree, I was a bit let down by the isle in general at how often I die and how few people group up. Now people just spam the general channel :XXX elite is up, ohh nevermind he's dead
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
By having VP gear not tied to Rep, perhaps, with way more cosmetic and fun rewards including mounts and pets tied to Rep instead.

Cheers.

This is exactly what they have done with the game. So everything is good... right?

No they havent. All 5.0 and 5.1 vp gear (that should cost justice not valor now) are still tied to rep grinded by dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
any chance of there being an alternate way to get recipes than daily grinds?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
All I'm seeing in this thread are people that don't want to play WoW, wanting all the rewards associated with it.

VP gear locked behind rep? Seriously? Considering 2 weeks of LFR opens up like 5 slots of 522 gear (which is BiS for you LFR heroes), and you get more than enough rep just incidentally from questing in dread wastes to get additional pieces to start the LFR process, I don't even know how much more Blizzard can concede on their end before they're just mailing you epics.

Coins are also a bonus. If you want the bonus, you need to do the dailies to get it. 45 dailies is 3-4 hours. If you don't have that time, then you get the bonus every other week. It'll help you gear faster, but it's NOT NECESSARY.

Whenever I see suggestions like "make dungeons give 10 charms", or "900 JP for 90 charms" it screams at me that the person doesn't care about game design. It's purely a selfish suggestion so that they can do what they want to do faster, the game be damned. It's the same as all those LFR people that think they should be fully LFR geared in 1 week, and that a single wipe is completely unacceptable.

This game is massive. Do what you want to do - whether it's farming rares, dailies, raiding...Blizzard has made all these components nearly separate from each other, with little bonuses connecting them. You can just do what you want without thinking that you need to min/max everything.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
Second, why do you think you need to do all 9-12 new dailies every day?

My server just unlocked p3 yesterday.

More people are just farming the rares. Lack of daily participation = lack of progress = not fully unlocking the isle.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
The problem is dailies have become Blizz's go-to solo pve content for each new content patch.

5.1, what was the new pve solo content to do? Dailies. 5.2? Dailies. LFD/LFR que's are so long, you can either sit in town, or do the only new content - dailies. People look forward to the content patches for NEW stuff to do, and when the only option for pve solo content is dailies, of course they will be sick of it.

If we could produce unlimited amounts of content we would, of course, but the laws of physics unfortunately prevent it. Having repeatable questing content gives people who enjoy questing something to do. You're being unfair by glossing over LFR and dungeons because of queues. If you don't want to wait for queues you can build your own group and zone into the dungeon, like you did before (and dailies existed then too!), but the fact of the matter is that it's still more convenient despite the queue times. Or, you could play a tank or healer and spend no time in queues. :) That's always an option.

If you have other solutions I'd be happy to hear them.
Edited by Bashiok on 3/20/2013 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Spread out the zone a bit and let us use flying mounts that we worked so hard for. Add one more 5 man, Stop forcing PVE'ers to PVP. Put a portal to new zone in Shrine of 7 Stars (maybe through a quest)

Those are a few of things I can think of.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
It'll help you gear faster, but it's NOT NECESSARY.

Maybe you have a full guild raid to carry you, but for people trying to app to guilds to get into raiding in the first place, or working on progression seriously, if you're not doing your best to give yourself every advantage you can, you're doing yourself and the raid a disservice.

When I raid led, if you weren't doing heroics to get your badges to get your gear, or the epic drops to help us progress, I found someone else that wanted your spot that did.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter

People hate feeling forced to pvp more than they hate feeling forced to do dailies. If the isle was a pvp place people would be in an uproar. Source: Children's Week.

So group daily/weekly quests? I can't even do the content on my own time I have to find other people to be able to do it, be it guildies or pugs? While I am sure it might make for more fun they already have a lot of group orientated content on the isle.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
All I'm seeing in this thread are people that don't want to play WoW, wanting all the rewards associated with it.

Coins are also a bonus. If you want the bonus, you need to do the dailies to get it. 45 dailies is 3-4 hours. If you don't have that time, then you get the bonus every other week. It'll help you gear faster, but it's NOT NECESSARY.

The problem is some guilds only taking the best geared characters for progression.
Is the simple answer: Join a new guild? Probably but if 4-5 of your friends are in that guild and they are gearing faster because they are doing dailies for charms then you will feel obligated.

I don't NEED to water my lawn or kill my dandelions either but I sure get some nasty looks from my neighbors when my lawn is the worst on the block. It's simply about keeping up
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]