Advice on dealing with bank ninjas

90 Blood Elf Warlock
I am co-GM of a guild on US-darrowmere, and we have noticed that there is one player (and alts) who continues to target different guilds on the server and take gold and other items from the guild bank, only to go on and sell the goods and leave the guild shortly thereafter. We know from talking with other GMs that this same person has done it on at least three other occasions. He justifies it because we had lax guild bank policies because we trusted our guildies, and therefore its not "stealing." Is there anything in the game code of conduct regarding instances like this? This person targets any guild that will accept him, which are usually newer ones who haven't had the experience with bad players like this guy (and usually have less restriction on guild bank usage). We really just want this player banned, but don't seem to have the support of Blizzard in doing so. Any advice? (Other than locking down the bank, which we had to do already.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Darrowmere!!!! My old server...

Anyways. Report the player on grounds of abuse and send a ticket to ask a GM what they recommend. Lock down the bank so no one in a "new member" status can withdraw from the bank. And I recommend requiring an authenticator for anyone to have guild bank access. Even if they have one on their account, it takes about a week usually for you to be able to promote them to a rank that requires one.

Hope this helps! Keep the drama off of Darrowmere!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
We have one of those on our server. He actually tried us but made mistake of thinking that impersonating another member was a good idea. The Blizz GMs were not impressed by his actions as personation is a far more serious matter than theft. What we did (because many of our members are new to the server) is lock invites. Only officers can invite and both our officers have been on the server long enough to know who's who. That works for us as all of our members are raiders/potential raiders and have to be interviewed anyways but it may not work for you if you are a casual social guild designed for low levels.

People like these are just a nuisance. Put appropriate locks on the GB. If one does get in, the amount of what is stolen is so petty it's not even worth caring about. If they get in and can't withdraw, they simply won't stay as it's a waste of their time as they gain nothing from it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
First set GB permissions where new members cannot access the guild bank to inclued not even view tabs, next limit the people who can promote to ranks that can view, deposit and withdraw items from guild bank and last but not least don't give immediate promotions.

Observe new memebers for a bit, generally the real bad seeds once they join a guild if u look at memeber locations you will find them in a area where they can immediately access the GB and if u go look at bank locations guess what you will find them in the bank checking to see what they can grab and run. But with the above in place they either leave immediately or start asking "how can they get promoted" which is a player to be watched.

Because face it the only advantage to a "guild rank promotion" is access to the guild bank it does nothing for your game play or experience.
Reply Quote
One of the ways I stop bank ninjas is to lock the bank, you have to be in the guild for 5-7 days actively to get promoted and even then you are limited to the professions only tab. After almost 3 years on Darrowmere I dont think anything that happens will ever surprise me. I had a raider steal from us after the raid team had issues and was told some bs line. So now only officers can get into the "big stuff". Most of my guildmates know the rules and are ok with them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
After he has left your guild, put him on your friends list. When he joins a new guild, politely inform the gm or an officer about your experiences with that player.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If the person makes bragging statements like you've said - note the date and time, and report that to a GM.

They have logs of any in game communication - and they generally take it more seriously when someone is blatantly acknowledging they're being abusive and trying to use the letter of the law, but not the spirit, to do it.

And in your report, include that to your knowledge, it's a pattern of behavior, not an isolated incident.

If they find enough to warrant it, he could get suspended or banned.

The more you can do to prove it's not just bitterness on your part, but is actual concern (dates, facts, conversation times they can research, old guild names he's pulled the same crap in) the more they have to check and know it's being done intentionally and maliciously.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
New members should NEVER have access to anything damaging if it went missing. AD's guild bank is limited to 1 withdrawal for new members, and they can only see certain tabs. I have also turned off depositing so that they can't restack items. There is a donations tab that everyone can deposit to, but not withdraw. I perform maintenance on the GB every night (or so), moving donations to outgoing tabs or to the guild vault/long-term storage.

Nobody but trusted lieutenants can withdraw liquid gold, but everyone has guild repairs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
After he has left your guild, put him on your friends list. When he joins a new guild, politely inform the gm or an officer about your experiences with that player.

^ This. Sending the player an official-sounding mail also works incredibly well. Many will promptly crap themselves and return the items upon hearing that they are "thereby blacklisted".
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I have found what works EXTREMELY well, is having a 30 day "trial" period, where if they want something from the bank, ok fine, they ask an officer or myself and we will get it for them (within reason). Then, after they attain a rank with bank access, leave 2 or 3 tabs unlocked with stuff u don't care if people use (ie easily attainable mats) and the rest are placed in locked tabs that yeah they can see, and add to if they wish, but if they MUST have something from those tabs, again, they have to ask. An in-game mail, with the expectation of you may not get it this instant but within a day, works well too. The "trial" keeps would-be bank ninjas at bay - they really don't want to wait that long for their potential profit - and seeing that "well criminey all i can get from the bank is cloth" usually weeds out the problem children before they become an issue. My guild bank has used this practice for awhile now with great success, and no one complains.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Whenever I boot someone for bank theft, I add them to my friends list and watch where they go for awhile. As soon as they land in another guild, I warn that guildmaster of our experience with them.

However we don't have many problems with guild bank theft due to the way our ranks and bank are set up. Lowest rank members can only access 2 bank tabs - the RP/Transmog tab and the Grab Bag tab (tabards, netherweave bags, recipies, low level enchantments) - and can only withdraw one stack per day. All of these items (except the enchantments) are not stackable - so a thief would only get two things a day.

To gain the next rank with access to 4 more tabs and more stacks/day, they actually have to do stuff - recruit, help people, donate stuff to the guild bank. Therefore not many bank ninjas stick around long enough to do enough things to be able to loot anything significant.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Call-outs on the forums are not allowed, but I think a person like that will get their reputation tarnished easily enough. Word of mouth gets around, I tend to keep things out of public channels though if possible. However, I am cautious though, I don't go believing that someone is bad, simply because someone else said so. Ultimately, evil people you just have to let be evil, until they learn better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
From experience:

1. Unless they use some kind of hack to bypass daily withdraw limits; No, there is nothing Blizz will do other than send you an email about your Guild bank policy.

2. Restrict all new members to a 'recruit' rank with "View Only" access, but Zero withdraw access. This way if it's a friends and they need 1 item they can ask. Also it taunts the heck out of the GB Ninja's and they leave on their own. Keep them in this rank for a minimum of 1 week if not longer.

3. Adjust your guild bank to meet the Guild's Needs. Leveling guild.. Create level appropriate Tabs/Ranks, increasing in Level access. Raiding Guild: Create Team Tabs if you have more than 1 team or a "Raiders Den" tab for the raid team... and only raid team members have access to it. Profession Tabs for profession mats etc.

Just Limit member access.. they don't need more than 1-3 withdraws per day, depending upon the purpose of the Bank tab. Officers will and should have higher withdraw access to help organize the bank, but still limited.

There are likely other great ideas others have offered, but I haven't read the responses.

Good Luck
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Um, by the way...the best advice on dealing with bank ninjas to me, is by accepting that if you have given someone the right to withdraw items they are not a ninja by definition, as they had the permission to take it. In other words, keep an extra eye on what you do and don't allow your guildies to have.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You don't need to publicly call out anyone at all! But a helpful, informative post of advice to new guilds on your server's forum about how to keep their bank safe from potential looters with several of the suggestions listed here for how to maintain a drama-free guild bank system can assist many of your fellow GLs ahead of time, especially some of the ones who may not know better.

You can also always direct said guild leaders here for advice.

And the suggestion to put the known toons of this looter on your standard friends list can be a good plan; even if he name/race changes (in the same faction), the character stays on the friends list (that's how one friend monitors repeat name violators on our RP server). Then you can inform other GLs who aren't checking the realm forums about this guy's practices and suggest some of the ways they can keep their GB safe.

And for a repeat abuser who brags about it, getting other GL's whose banks have been victimized by this guy all writing tickets, or listing their info in yours, may help get this person's account vetted and even suspended, if it's really that bad.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Back in the day, i.e. some years ago, there was a real gbank robber who impersonated officers. He would whisper an officer saying he was an alt of an officer, then get invited, promoted, and rob the gbank of everything valuable. He even bragged about it on the realm forums. He made the mistake of whispering an officer in a guild for an invite who happened to be the officer he was trying to impersonate. Blizz banned him. At the time, my guild then had the bank system on officer toons. While we could not have been robbed, it did make me establish identity in the guild. We invite alts toons easily since the rank doesn't involve much, but officers must promote their own alts. That insures that it's a real officer alt.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Back in the day, i.e. some years ago, there was a real gbank robber who impersonated officers....

There was someone on our server like this. He wouldn't necessarily say he was an officer, but he'd say he was a fairly active member. I was an officer in the guild at the time and our group of officers was fairly trusting (we tend to be that way). We simply decided that no alts were promoted beyond probationary rank until the existing member whispered us from their higher ranked toon that the alt was indeed theirs.

It turned out it wasn't only our guild that was a victim of this guy. Talking to other guild officers finally led to someone putting together the supposed identity of the person and it led to a blacklisting by many of the larger guilds at that time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]