Prot Pallys and the Horror of dailys

90 Blood Elf Paladin
does anybody else feel like it takes forever to do dailys..my first problem was ididnt have any hit or expertise but i reforged a little and its gotten a little bit better. but good grief...any help?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
that is why you have two specs to utilize. why not go ret for dailies?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
does anybody else feel like it takes forever to do dailys..my first problem was ididnt have any hit or expertise but i reforged a little and its gotten a little bit better. but good grief...any help?

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from playing how they wanna play. If you wanna quest as Holy or Prot, go for it, but just understand that Tanks and Healers are not meant to put out high damage. There are mobs that even take a good second or two for me to kill (I'm Ret)l because of how much HP they have. Some mobs I even have to pop major CD's on just to kill them faster. Then again I'm not questing in PvE gear.. and I never would since I'm on a PvP server.

The suggestion I have until they (or if they ever) increase Prot damage is to either group with friends and get it done faster or go Ret.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
my main reason for not wanting to go ret is i will have to regear completely. and ive never played ret before. but i guess i can take on some new adventure
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
my main reason for not wanting to go ret is i will have to regear completely. and ive never played ret before. but i guess i can take on some new adventure

Won't take long. This game is pretty easy on getting gear if you commit just a little time to it.

Try to get some guild runs, preferably one that doesn't have a DPS Plate or one that don't care to pass on DPS gear. Hell I've never done Prot before and I've been working on a Prot set and I was getting a lot more Prot gear than I was Ret.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
lol prot and ret gear are pretty similar anyway
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
lol prot and ret gear are pretty similar anyway

so you think i could switch to ret with my prot gear? and still get more dps off than i do in prot
Edited by Sathin on 3/12/2013 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's not so much that prot gear is good for ret.. it's that ret gear is very good for prot.

All "tanking" intended pieces in MoP have one avoidance stat and one other "non-dps" stat (which for tanking purposes, means anything other than haste and crit).

The problem there is that even though avoidance was buffed through the grand crusader changes, it's still not as good as haste or mastery for actual tanking, and a good number of the ret pieces have desirable stats for tanking. Just looking through the gear I'm wearing for ret, there's three hit/mastery pieces (one is even a pvp piece, don't underestimate those, there's a number that are extremely good for pve), mastery/haste, expertise/mastery, hit/haste, haste/expertise, and of course my trinkets, haste/str and str/str. And to be honest, when I tank (5-man most every day, and occasionally LFR), I don't change a single piece of gear. The only problem with it is that it leaves me behind on expertise.

If all you do is LFR, you can easily get away with wearing full dps gear, reforged and gemmed for tanking and never have an issue. When (if?) you're doing 5-mans, look for obvious dps pieces that are good for tanking, Lessons of the Darkmaster is something that's obviously intended for dps but is honestly extremely good for tanking. Expertise is a must-have and that strength proc? It's really a huge parry proc! :D

Beyond that, doing dailies with what you're currently wearing and being prot; pull big groups. As big as you can find. Vengeance does all your heavy lifting as a tank and you need it. Depending on where you're doing dailies (and when), there's a good chance you'll find others who wouldn't mind a tank in their group rounding up mobs to aoe. Properly gem, enchant and reforge the gear you have that's good, and halfassedly do it for the other pieces. Non-perfect green gems tend to be very cheap and they do make a difference.

RANDOM UNINTENDED ESSAY FROM CAYSE!
Edited by Cayse on 3/12/2013 11:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
that is why you have two specs to utilize. why not go ret for dailies?

My off spec is holy. ;)

I don't really mind it taking longer, though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yep, this is pretty much why I don't do dailies on my main. Main spec is holy and off spec is prot. Tried switching to ret to do 5.2 dailies but it felt sluggish and squishy so I'm back to ignoring them completely and just getting the reps up through 5mans and scenarios once a day.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Spec Ret, wear your tank gear. It still has Strength, hit, expertise, and mastery.

In fact, since Haste is also a perfectly viable stat for Prot (better than dodge/parry), "tank gear" and "Ret gear" overlap heavily.
Reply Quote
I do dailies as prot and it's easy: judge something far, crusader/hammer a group close to you, throw your shield at another group, and taunt a final group. Your vengeance will be huge then you just go through your aoe rotation and profit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I still do the old BC-standard "run around mounted like a chicken until everything inside evade range is chasing me!" method of pulling.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

A -

Emoticons are not appropriate in proper essays!

Seriously though OP, what Cayse said.
Edited by Cadenbrie on 3/12/2013 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I do dailies faster on my prot pally then my shadow priest =/

I still do the old BC-standard "run around mounted like a chicken until everything inside evade range is chasing me!" method of pulling.

So fun!
Edited by Ussil on 3/12/2013 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/12/2013 12:01 PMPosted by Cadenbrie

A -

Emoticons are not appropriate in proper essays!

Seriously though OP, what Cayse said.

I used to have a tendency to use emoticons as punctuation back when I was in high school. ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Use dps trinkets, and reforge to haste. Pull as much stuff as possible, free vengeance. Boom.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is the reason I do prot/ret on this guy, and have a separate paladin for holy/ret.

That being said, I'll still occasionally do dailies as prot depending on my mood. It's not completely terrible if you can get enough mobs.

OMG THIS! I remember working on my Aldor rep during BC, and there's those demon areas in Blade's Edge. Would use that very method to round up as many as I could get, and just aoe them down. You could do that with the demon hunter supplicants near Black Temple also, but they were so close together you didn't even have to mount up.
Edited by Bravehearth on 3/12/2013 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I have zero problem doing the dailies of any of the factions including 5.2 on my prot pali. Unlike others who mostly have to pull 1-2 mobs at a time I try and grab as many as possible I.E. the saurock area quest to kill 10 of them. Ya that's one pull 10 dead me at full health life is good.

had to edit this. No gems no enchants and you wonder why you are having problems?
Edited by Dirkston on 3/12/2013 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dungeon Prot, Daily Ret. Makes them both fast.

Prot is fun to pull a lot of mobs.....until you need fatty goatsteak....then you get knocked off the mountain when you pull 6 goats who can't seem to face you correctly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]