5.2 trinkets

90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm trying to decide what to spend my VP on from Shado-Pan Assault, and I'm not very good at comparing mp5 to on-use mana return (the VP trinket), etc etc.

So, maybe it's a dumb question. For now, I'm very hesitant to give up my Relic of Chi-Ji, because of the spirit proc. My question is, is Soothing Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault (on-use 29k mana every 3 mins) better than the 484 Relic of Chi-Ji (3261 spirit proc) or should I buy something else and wait for another raid drop trink.

I hope this is ok to ask here. Don't really use these forums much. Tried searching for a post like it but didn't see one and kinda rushed don't have time to check hundreds of pages.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
cd on relic is 45 seconds, so you'll probably see a proc every 50-55 seconds. Figure out how much combat regen the relic proc gives you. Normalize it to the proc chance and see if it is more than 166.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
cd on relic is 45 seconds, so you'll probably see a proc every 50-55 seconds. Figure out how much combat regen the relic proc gives you. Normalize it to the proc chance and see if it is more than 166.

Actually, it pretty much procs as soon as the ICD is up, in my experience.
Reply Quote
65 Dwarf Shaman
Strictly from numbers, the Talisman is better mana regen and int than the 2/2 Relic. Ideally, the Talisman is worth 828 mp5, which is more than the Relic gives (Relic is equivalent to around 730 mp5, I think(?)). However, other factors can alter the gap size, such as the time off-ICD that the Relic takes to proc, the number of uses you can get out of the Talisman based on fight length, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Strictly from numbers, the Talisman is better mana regen and int than the 2/2 Relic. Ideally, the Talisman is worth 828 mp5, which is more than the Relic gives (Relic is equivalent to around 730 mp5, I think(?)). However, other factors can alter the gap size, such as the time off-ICD that the Relic takes to proc, the number of uses you can get out of the Talisman based on fight length, etc.

I have a personal hatred of on-use trinkets because no matter how you use them...it always feels like I'm missing out if I can't get that last use in before the boss dies. If that makes sense...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
If that makes sense...

It doesn't. :p
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/12/2013 07:18 PMPosted by Nerfheals
If that makes sense...

It doesn't. :p

Hush, Nerf! No one wants to hear your lip! >:|
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have a personal hatred of on-use trinkets because no matter how you use them...it always feels like I'm missing out if I can't get that last use in before the boss dies. If that makes sense...

Then set your main actions to activate the trinket, basically putting it on autopilot, but potentially wasting mana.

Or use WeakAuras or similar addon to produce a warning that the trinket is available and the mana gain would not be wasted. I never have to think about when to use Innervate because I have a texture appear whenever Innervate is available and I'm under 80% mana. The same principle works with on-use trinkets. You just have to figure out at which % you want the warning to occur.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/12/2013 08:36 PMPosted by Mitimem

Then set your main actions to activate the trinket, basically putting it on autopilot, but potentially wasting mana.

Or use WeakAuras or similar addon to produce a warning that the trinket is available and the mana gain would not be wasted. I never have to think about when to use Innervate because I have a texture appear whenever Innervate is available and I'm under 80% mana. The same principle works with on-use trinkets. You just have to figure out at which % you want the warning to occur.

I've done both of them and I still don't like it. :) I don't see the point, personally, of spending VP for a mediocre trinket when I will have access to my two best in slot.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I understand that on use dps trinkets are annoying, because you want to have as many procs active at a time to maximize burst damage, and you might miss that window of opportunity because fight mechanics needed your attention more than your buff bar, but I just can't see this applying to mana regen trinkets.

It doesn't matter when you get more mana, as long as you don't waste any of it. Got 40k mana used or more? Use the trinket, win. You have less than 40k mana spent? Wait a bit.

On top of that, you get more intellect from the higher iLevel trinket.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
On use DPS trinkets are not that annoying because you can pop them with everything when you're using your major CDs.

On use healer trinkets though are hell because even if you can macro it to something you are pressing often it is distracting to keep a track of one more thing during a hectic fight.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I made a weak aura for my VP trinket, no issues tracking it. :P

Normally I'd just macro an on-use trinket but with a 30k mana return and 3min cd that's not really an option with this one. Just set up some sort of indicator.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

Normally I'd just macro an on-use trinket but with a 30k mana return and 3min cd that's not really an option with this one. Just set up some sort of indicator.

For a resto druid it fits nicely macro'd with Innervate ?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid

For a resto druid it fits nicely macro'd with Innervate ?

Depends on the fight. Because of damage patterns, there are fights where I may only get in one Tranq, such as Jin'rokh, if I am assigned to heal up during the second Lightning Storm. On this toon, the last time I had an on-use trinket, I had it macro'd to Nature's Swiftness. For something with such a long CD, I would probably just put it on my bars and keep an eye on it, or set up a CD tracker. Personally, I am keeping my fingers crossed for the trinket off of Horridon.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
On-use mana regen trinkets:

The "problem" with them is that the timing of your first use of it can vary wildly from fight-to-fight.

I grabbed the SPA trinket because I still had the DMC trinket. I haven't had an on-use trinket since I hit lvl 90 on this toon (December; she was my 3rd toon to 90, and became my main soon after she hit 90) so it'll be a week or so before I'm comfortably back in the habit of popping it properly, but I know I'll settle back into the flow of it. I never hesitate to grab an on-use trinket when it's an upgrade over whatever I've been using, though I definitely understand Tiriel's dislike of the "can't get one last use of it on some fights" situation.

I can't say no to that Int upgrade ;D
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
to the OP's question: in a perfect theoretical world, soothing talisman has better mp5. Where the waters start to become cloudy is the quite long 3min cd. for a fight lasting 5 min 59sec, your mp5 just got cut in half. Yes this is an extreme example, but hopefully helps illustrate my point.

The second problem with the soothing talisman is that it restores a fairly large amount of mana per use. In order to not waste some of that regen you will have to wait on your first activation until you have spent enough mana not to top off, which further increases the chances that you will be able to use it less times in an encounter.

All this said, depending on the fight it can still provide as good or better regen then the dmc, plus it has higher throughput due to more static int, so it can be a valid upgrade. I would definitely keep both around tho, and swap the dmc back in for fights that fit poorly into the talisman's icd.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
^ Hi there. :P

After reading all these posts and finding a thread on EJ about it, I realized that I can spend my VP on the wrist this week and still buy a trinket next week, (well, that part's unrelated lol) and also how pretty much every trinket in 5.2 has the same mp5 (522 ilvl), the only difference is mp5+ throughput, for most of them.

And that's not really an extreme example at all, Mythrose. Tortos is a 5 minute fight isn't it? Maybe 6 minutes? I know it's berserk timer is set to around that. That's the fight I keep thinking about when deciding if a 3 min CD is worth it or not. :\ On long fights, yeah, totally, on shorter ones? Nah. I'll probably do what Mythrose said, and keep both the trinkets on me and test them out, swap them out, etc. That sounds best. :D

Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate it.
Edited by Aethereal on 3/13/2013 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Looking at the SPA trinket with the first use say 20s into the fight and each subsequent use on cooldown.

3 min fight: 1 use so trinket works out to be (29805)/(3*60*0.2) = 828mp5
4 min fight: 2 uses so trinket works out to be (29805*2)/(4*60*0.2) = 1242mp5
5 min fight: still 2 uses (29805*2)/(5*60*0.2) = 994 mp5
6 min fight: again still 2 uses (29805*2)/(6*60*0.2) = 828 mp5
7 min fight: 3 uses (29805*3)/(7*60*0.2) = 1064 mp5

The worst case is a fight that lasts 6(or 3)mins and 20s and works out to be (29805*2)/(6.33*60*0.2) = 787mp5.

I am only 2/12 so am not sure how long the fights against the remaining bosses are going to be, however this trinket will be a good replacement for you upgraded relic of chi-ji. It maths out to be 817mp5 proccing on exactly its ICD. The extra 220 int will make up for the occasionally worse but usually better regen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]