Real Proc Per Minute (RPPM) Trinket Changes

90 Human Death Knight
I worked on the now defunct City of Heroes MMO for some time, and in that game it was trivial to add a column. However, I'm now on a browser game with persistent storage, and due to it's very different architecture, it's quite a bit more work to add a column to the database.

Before I put my 2 cents in.

*waves* Hello CoH Developer, I am a Immigrant from there as well.

With that out of the way, One thing to consider with these trinkets is that to my understanding they will proc more often once we get our haste higher so as we gear up into T-15 gear they might feel much better as the haste stats (even for those who run away from haste) will be a bit better.

Well Except for Tanks but I do not think any Tank Trinkets this Tier Proc on attack do they?
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
did we really need a shift from ICD to RPPM?

I prefer reliable to random, personally.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
  • Bad Juju (3h10m) - <http://i.imgur.com/UVQRBpO.png>
  • Talisman of Bloodlust (1h) - <http://i.imgur.com/jzTmfQY.png> (the prediction uses averaged haste -- not quite accurate but should be close enough)
  • Renataki's Soul Charm (5h50m) - <http://i.imgur.com/do5PNgX.png>

• This is good data!

did we really need a shift from ICD to RPPM? I prefer reliable to random, personally.

Why would you want any part of an encounter to be based on RNG luck?
    Trinkets should all be ON USE with a static cool down.

nothing says fun like hitting enrage at 1% cause trinkets refuse to proc.BUT THATS FUN RIGHT? right guys?

Here are some things to remember:

RPPM scales with your gear; many have no ICD. While some of the trinkets might be underwhelming for low ilvl toons, as you gear up in ToT, these trinkets keep getting better and better.

PPM+ICD plateaus very quickly, you cannot proc it faster than the ICD.

While variance is frustrating, it also means that the DPS rankings (that everyone likes to regurgitate: raidbots, WoL, simc, etc...) are much closer than you realize. For example, Affliction Warlocks might be statistically the best DPS, but on a given fight, you might have great RPPM proc alignment and your Warlock buddy might not be faring so well. Instead of being stuck behind the Warlock no matter how hard you try, you now have the opportunity to push out more DPS than him.

The main takeaway for these new trinkets is that you need to monitor the procs closely and react accordingly when they trigger. Blindly cycling through your rotation w/o any regard to your proc status might keep your average DPS high but you actual potential DPS is much, much higher with a little bit of luck and proper cooldown management.

I actively develop a Feral simulator and I have encountered 50k+ DPS outliers when blessed with good RPPM alignment.

Additionally, some trinkets might not work well together. A singular trinket ranking is an incomplete picture. For example, when I evaluate trinkets in my simulator, I rank them pair-wise with full gear reforging: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2989349/TrinketRank6.png (note: this data is from a few weeks ago)
    Reply Quote
    1 Blood Elf Paladin
    the major flaw of RPPM is it favors specs that like haste over others. not every spec prefers haste, so it kinda favors say...monks more than it would warriors.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Death Knight
    the major flaw of RPPM is it favors specs that like haste over others. not every spec prefers haste, so it kinda favors say...monks more than it would warriors.

From What I have seen, the RPPMs have mods based on your spec so that should not be a concern.
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Druid
    [quote][li]
    Additionally, some trinkets might not work well together. A singular trinket ranking is an incomplete picture. For example, when I evaluate trinkets in my simulator, I rank them pair-wise with full gear reforging: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2989349/TrinketRank6.png (note: this data is from a few weeks ago)

You omitted the normal ToT trinkets or are they that bad?
    Edited by Zetlysm on 3/15/2013 8:08 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Mage
    Wish this would happen more often with my fire spells RNG, more random pyro's would be great.
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Mage
    Breath of the HydraCha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance

Does anyone know if these procs can be up at the same time? as in ~15ksp?

and why is Hydra 20 secs and Cha only 10?
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Hunter
    So. I had 9 Voodoo Gnomes up at once yesterday.

Is that really an intentional change? It procced 3 times, each time immediately after the 6k agility proc wore off.
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Druid

At the time, I was only doing T15H BiS analysis and include T14H for reference. This table was created before the RPPM attack-speed haste change, and before the 5% nerf, and this recent 10% buff and the AverageProcInterval change.

You can find more analysis here (for Ferals):
    http://fluiddruid.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
    Edited by Edgy on 3/16/2013 3:44 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Shaman
    03/13/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Ashlí
    Now, I want my character to be interesting, I want lore to be interesting, I want my rotation to be somewhat interesting in that it's not one button, but as far as my rotation goes, above all things, as a raider, I simply want it to be functional. I want to be able to get the job done without "interesting complexity" that simply turns out to be mindless, pointless complexity for some vague "interesting" goal.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Hunter
    I definitely notice that my trinket procs a lot of gnomes now.

I have had 9 up more than once.
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Druid

Updated Feral overall trinket ranking with the latest changes for 522ish gear:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2989349/TrinketRank9-MergedBest5.png

And trinket pair ranking:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2989349/TrinketRank9.png
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Rogue
    I have been testing my trinket with my vanish increased proc theory and it may be me, but I am noticing a stronger proc chance right after my first attack landing after I have restealthed. I still only have a minimal amount of attempts right now because I have been testing while in a raid situation but I am continuing with my theory that:

1) Not only is the proc chance at the initial pull of a raid boss/encounter higher for RPPM trinkets, but that this also counts for vanish and possibly shadowmeld (however untested).

Any additional information added to this topic would be greatly appreciated.
    Reply Quote
    100 Worgen Warlock
    I've wanted to see RPPM come back. I like the applied coaxing method, and I believe players will learn to appreciate the dynamic of chance.
    Reply Quote
    100 Human Mage
    I do have a concern here. The intellect trinket from Valor procs haste. Haste is at the bottom of useful stats for Fire. Is there any chance of adding a useful trinket in there for other specs? It's not like you can reforge the proc to make it useful.
    Reply Quote
    76 Blood Elf Death Knight
    I do have a concern here. The intellect trinket from Valor procs haste. Haste is at the bottom of useful stats for Fire. Is there any chance of adding a useful trinket in there for other specs? It's not like you can reforge the proc to make it useful.

Trust me there are much better trinkets in the raids. Breath of hydra and the other trinket that gives you more intellect with each stack. I have both trinkets on my lock and the procs are insane. many times I get back to back procs. There are times when the trinket proc will refresh half way giving you long up times.

Over all I am happy with the change.
    Reply Quote
    Why the differential in proc chance buffing? Were the STR/AGI users really hurting that much against the INT/SPI users?
    Reply Quote
    100 Night Elf Rogue
    LFR Renataki's Soul Charm not proc'ing.. anyone else have the same issue?
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Mage
    Summary:
    We added a bit of cheating in the player’s favor to avoid long streaks of bad luck. This change is now live.

This isn't gonna get me banned, is it? ;)

/kidding
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]