49s thread of bigdeals and smalldeals

90 Human Priest
Still working on getting to 90.

I played a few BG's last night and had alot of fun, I didn't feel that squishy.

Curious how things are at 90.

my battletag is Glum#1765 (I think) so anyone that wants to play send me an invite :)
Reply Quote
50 Human Warrior
That's more like it! It took you guys way to long to get into the spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Still working on getting to 90.

I played a few BG's last night and had alot of fun, I didn't feel that squishy.

Curious how things are at 90.

my battletag is Glum#1765 (I think) so anyone that wants to play send me an invite :)

Healing @ 90 pve isn't so bad. I mostly play holy but some fights kind of favor disc way too much with dat spirit shell, atonement, and mana efficiency. pvp IDK. I only raid at lvl cap cause I have no expectation of wow pvp. 5/12 tot on my druid in our casual guild. hoping for 9/12 push soon if durumu doesn't cause major problems.

They made it a ton easier to gear up with the new daily key thing, shadowpan-assault rep, and t-14 10% nerf. Still got to grind the heroics a little bit but once you get into LFR and start using the coins from the treasure trove of the thunderking (key daily thingy) you start to gear really quickly.
Reply Quote
All the "bracket it dead" posts sadden me. I peeked into the 49pvp.com quelist Monday, and saw 2 on each side. I was shutting down from end of crazy shift schedule, but would have been glad to add if it might have helped. I knew it wouldn't have.

Let me call out a little, because I hate to see the 49 pvper thread slip to 3rd page as it has to much lately...

TONIGHT!

Bring me your forgotten, your poor, your uber, your grandfathered. Bring me your Prot and your Spriest. Bring them in whatever build you righteously favor. Bring back 49!!
Reply Quote
49 Draenei Paladin
All the "bracket it dead" posts sadden me. I peeked into the 49pvp.com quelist Monday, and saw 2 on each side. I was shutting down from end of crazy shift schedule, but would have been glad to add if it might have helped. I knew it wouldn't have.

Let me call out a little, because I hate to see the 49 pvper thread slip to 3rd page as it has to much lately...

TONIGHT!

Bring me your forgotten, your poor, your uber, your grandfathered. Bring me your Prot and your Spriest. Bring them in whatever build you righteously favor. Bring back 49!!

no deal
Reply Quote
49 Human Rogue
games tonight?
Reply Quote
69 Night Elf Hunter
Twinking came about, when people would play their mains in pvp while leveling in early classic. they wanted to be stronger, so they would go wayy out of their way to get an item. i first learned about twinking on my very first character in the 40's (account created in oct 05) when this gnome rogue had the thrash blade with crusader from mara. at that time people were in their 50's when looking for groups for mara, so a 40 something rogue with it was unheard of, and having a fricken level 60 enchant was omg awesome.

next big thing i remember was paying a 60 warrior 4g (lotsa money if memory serves)to solo the content so i could get a blue that was close if not at my level. a disease infected me that has never left.

during the burning crusades, i bought another account, just so i could "dead run" my toons through dungeons.

i remember when i brought this character to 69 when wrath hit, talk about going out of my way -- i was farming level 65's for aldor rep when i was 60. i ran zones i knew i was going to need to goto 5+ levels in advance, jsut to get the exploration exp off my chest. stockpileing self farmed herbs and ore (while drastically under level) to min/max myself

i dont know what twinking is today, but it certainly isnt what it was. with that said, everyone hop on your favorite toon, the one whos ability presses could be considered instinctual. and que. if that is a prot war, cool. shadow priest, cool. restro druid, cool. hunter, cool, rogue, cool. whatever. cool. stop crying to your mother and get two shot. you can probably two shot with proper star alignment too.

we cool? cool.

edit: instead of saying i bought another account, i should say i set up another subscription - to be more clear.
Edited by Toblik on 4/4/2013 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
49 Blood Elf Paladin
BOA
Calling it quits for game nights then? You know the bracket is in a sad state when there are no pick me up posts from cirise and even lailu showing signs of defeat =(
Reply Quote
49 Tauren Druid
yea thanks a lot mertink
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Cirise is busy switching Internet providers so he is unable to impart his wisdom on the matter.

I've played twink brackets forever and this is the first time in a long time I have no interest in playing at lower levels at all. It's because of stupidity regarding shield slam, shadow priests, and the distilled army of trolls who occupy our domain.

I used to think that twinks would play this game forever, and would be here long after the raiders left. Now I see that Blizzard will slowly destroy their game. It's evident by their continued negligence of lower levels, the supposition that everyone at endgame wants to do dailies for hours a day, and their inability to reconcile pvp with pve.
Reply Quote
49 Human Mage
yea thanks a lot mertink

oh, for the strat runs, right, np man anytime, always happy to help a tink
Reply Quote
19 Undead Warlock
It
My sexy sexy sexy sexy sexy old school no longer to get title just wants to say SUP!
Reply Quote
49 Undead Priest
Cirise is busy switching Internet providers so he is unable to impart his wisdom on the matter.

I've played twink brackets forever and this is the first time in a long time I have no interest in playing at lower levels at all. It's because of stupidity regarding shield slam, shadow priests, and the distilled army of trolls who occupy our domain.

I used to think that twinks would play this game forever, and would be here long after the raiders left. Now I see that Blizzard will slowly destroy their game. It's evident by their continued negligence of lower levels, the supposition that everyone at endgame wants to do dailies for hours a day, and their inability to reconcile pvp with pve.

Maybe Blizzard is trying to slowly suffocate WoW before they release Titan.

I guess I'll just keep playing at 90 and wait for Wildstar to drop so I can move on from this stale !@# game.
Reply Quote
69 Night Elf Hunter
just read about the fourth game in the Thief franchise. giddy doesnt begin to describe it.. although i had a similar feeling when i heard about diablo three.
Reply Quote
49 Draenei Shaman
04/04/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Goldenclaw

New ISP sets me up Wednesday. Out of the frying pan....

04/04/2013 08:50 PMPosted by Goldenclaw

I'm in the same boat. TL;DR version at the end.

Three years ago, Aimed Shot tore up the 29 and 39 brackets. One ability, when used well, changed how an entire battleground worked. You made a greater contribution to your team as an AS hunter than you did as a healer, since a healer could not heal through the effect of a 50% healing debuff. Until this patch (5.2), the Aimed Shot ban was the only time I ever saw twink communities work so closely for a common cause. The ban, tenuous as it was, marked a high point of community coordination for the greater enjoyment of games.

The current issue with prot warriors feels different. Even before shield slam flew out of control, prot warriors and paladins demonstrated a fundamental problem in lower- and midbracket PvP: Blizzard scaled up everyone's spells and abilities, and tuned resilience accordingly, but didn't scale weapon damage. Any ability that acts as some sort of multiplier or addition to weapon damage got screwed e.g. pretty much any important ability of an enhancement shaman.

I commend 39s for their excellent work in leading the bracket to a successful ban, but getting into ban territory treads on shaky ground. It takes a lot of leadership and consistent quality of games to keep a ban going. To be blunt, the ban hasn't gotten 39s better games. It just kept the bracket from entering the dormancy of 29s and 49s. Aside from prot warriors, 39s currently feature the best class balance of all of the midbrackets. But preventing a slide into oblivion isn't enough of a reason for me and many others to play. I have serious reservations about Blizzard's ability to fix things before the next expansion, just like with Aimed Shot. Players need something to work toward, not keep away from.

Which brings us to the trolls. Bracket drama can bring fun for some, but it doesn't inspire. All the crap flinging in the threads gets people hot and bothered, but doesn't sustain anything other than itself. Moreover, half the time the trolls are right, and they're trolling with half the skill that they used to have. When trolls are OP, something's fundamentally wrong.

But far more disconcerting to me, most players don't play as a team. I deleted the rest of this paragraph three times over, trying to find a way to express my frustration in a constructive way, and ended up defeated. Yes, we have imbalance and attitude problems, but more than that, XP-off games just haven't been fun for me because we don't coordinate worth a damn on the field.

Two pieces of news from the PTR (subject to change, of course), give a glimmer of hope.

First, the battle fatigue nerf (the general drop in healing when playing battlegrounds and arenas) goes from 30% to 50%, while healing effects from PvP power double. This change intends to make PvP power more valuable for endgame healers while leaving the current level of healing intact. With little PvP power in the lower and middle brackets, the change will bring a welcome nerf to healing, probably around 17%.

Second, the battleground role selection feature brings trouble, in a good way. Pigeonholing players into specific roles for a battleground, especially sub-90, ignores the tremendously creative ways players find to leverage unintentional imbalances in mechanics. FC locks (and FC mages, back in the day), performed remarkably well. But what happens when all the XP-on players who figured out that prot dps for warriors and paladins is stronger than actual dps specs, suddenly can't queue in droves? I'm excited to see what happens when Blizzard's new system further exposes current class and spec problems below 90.

TL;DR/conclusion: non-endgame battlegrounds are currently the most broken I've ever seen them. Ever. But only because of a couple of extreme problems. Fixing shield slam and nerfing all heals will make battlegrounds very playable again, though weapon-based abilities will still suck. The current state of battlegrounds does not excuse poor team coordination on the field, which is by far the greater issue in the midbrackets.

Let me end with an unnerving thought for some players outside of 49s and 39s: the battleground role selection worries a lot of players that queue times could greatly increase. Remember when Ghostcrawler said he wanted to eventually recombine split brackets to help queue times? With bracket scaling finally in place, wouldn't 5.3 be an interesting time to make the move back to 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, etc., eh?
Reply Quote
coordination comes naturally (at least, enough required to do well in twink brackets) when people learn how to play the game. 49s are just really slow to pick up on learning (as are 39s).

it confuses the hell out of me why people struggle with it since there are so few abilities that you need to think about. there isn't any kind of substitute for knowing when to use your 5-8 abilities in team fights or 1v1 situations
Reply Quote
49 Draenei Shaman
coordination comes naturally (at least, enough required to do well in twink brackets) when people learn how to play the game. 49s are just really slow to pick up on learning (as are 39s).

it confuses the hell out of me why people struggle with it since there are so few abilities that you need to think about. there isn't any kind of substitute for knowing when to use your 5-8 abilities in team fights or 1v1 situations

That's just it. People like myself can play for years without learning that coordination, or learning how to play the game. I'd argue I still really don't know how to play this game. And in my experience, the midbrackets on average are better than the other brackets when it comes to coordination and understanding the mechanics of WoW i.e. if we're slow to pick up (and we may well be), than other brackets are glacial. Which means everyone's missing out.

That "natural" coordination isn't happening in the midbrackets, and it certainly isn't happening in the rest of the XP-off brackets to my knowledge (I'd love to be wrong), nor in the XP-on brackets.
Reply Quote

That's just it. People like myself can play for years without learning that coordination, or learning how to play the game. I'd argue I still really don't know how to play this game. And in my experience, the midbrackets on average are better than the other brackets when it comes to coordination and understanding the mechanics of WoW i.e. if we're slow to pick up (and we may well be), than other brackets are glacial. Which means everyone's missing out.

That "natural" coordination isn't happening in the midbrackets, and it certainly isn't happening in the rest of the XP-off brackets to my knowledge (I'd love to be wrong), nor in the XP-on brackets.

if you put together two or three players who know what they're doing, then they'll naturally coordinate and help each other peel, chain cc, dps, etc.

this can carry a team really far in twink mid brackets, where almost everyone just runs around pressing buttons randomly and complains about resto druids being unkillable or spriests doing too much damage
Edited by Dífferential on 4/6/2013 3:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
39 Blood Elf Priest
f you put together two or three players who know what they're doing, then they'll naturally coordinate and help each other peel, chain cc, dps, etc.

this can carry a team really far in twink mid brackets, where almost everyone just runs around pressing buttons randomly and complains about resto druids being unkillable or spriests doing too much damage

I could not agree more.
Reply Quote
64 Human Warrior
So I'm gonna make this guy 49 any servers to transfer to?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]