Windwalker feels unslottable in ToT heroics

10 Blood Elf Paladin
Perhaps the extra 20% is in anticipation of an incoming Mastery nerf? I read somewhere that mastery stacking leads to some pretty insane PvP burst. I have no PvP experience myself, so take that with a grain of salt.

it isnt much of a concern in pvp, particularly arenas, since you dont start at 10 stacks of tigereye brew. you need to spend 30 chi before you can even get to that point, and mastery stacking has no benefit till you use brew.

I think the devs realized the 10% stance nerf was too much, and even if it was reverted, ww monks would still lag far behind the likes of rogues/warriors/dks.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
the "30%" is most likely an intern moving the original 10% nerf the wrong way on a tooltip.

Taunting in a way...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Was the stance buff (or nerf reversal) a hotfix or is that in slate for 5.3?

Those changes could be a type-o. The buff to the stance has yet to show up on the PTR or live.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
03/25/2013 11:15 PMPosted by Moncoko
the "30%" is most likely an intern moving the original 10% nerf the wrong way on a tooltip.

Yeah, tooltip fix but they added instead of subtracting. Could be.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
Twitter said that was poor data mining, and apparently there are little to no balancing measures planned of yet. Which is unfortunate.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Was pretty certain that 30% was way too much.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
03/28/2013 06:34 PMPosted by Jlawl
502-522 WW already does pretty solid damage.

There is no data to support this. All available data says the exact opposite.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
It's a shame, really. DPSing on this Monk through 5.0/5.1 was a pleasure. I loved the sustained damage I used to have, such a welcome departure from the Burst with Cooldowns/Low Sustained Damage Cycle that seems so prevalent in the DPS aspect of the game these days.

Monk DPS was respectable. It was where it needed to be. Not sure where it is now, all the constant fiddling with the class has turned me off to it for now. Having to relearn all your muscle memory/twitch responses each major patch gets to be a drag.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Vox
unslottable in normals too, I have resigned to building up my mw set and giving it a whirl until ww is decent again
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
WW need a single target boost, better cleave and actual raid utility. They are basically Rogues without any of the perks at all.

Melee as a whole should be thrown a bone considering how much ranged bias is in the game. By ranged bias I don't literally mean that fights are designed to crap on melee, I simply mean that there aren't encounters (typically) that you go, wow we need to sit range for more melee.

Ranged typically has better multi-dotting capabilities, which is fine. In pure cleave situations melee should be superior. The problem is there are only a few melee who can cleave properly. Windwalkers and Retribution for example need to be seriously looked at in the cleave department to bring them up to par. For unseasoned players don't read cleave and think of purely AoE, cleave is much different than AoE although it does fundamentally provide AoE damage as well.

Our WW use to be one of our higher DPS prior to 5.2. His AoE was awful and his cleave non-existent. Since the changes WW damage has plummeted and SEF hasn't really made a difference. I think if they buffed SEF and reverted the stance nerf even partially they would be in an okay position.

Just make RoP provide a like a 10% DR while allies are standing under it for WW monks only. It's not a lot but it would make them semi-desirable, and it wouldn't impact PvP as RoP is already a big middle finger to most classes.
Edited by Gròmmash on 3/30/2013 1:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
To be fair there are a couple of fights in the current tier where melee are quite strong, IMO. Megaera and Iron Qon in particular. We brought like... 11 melee or something to Qon and I know of some guilds that brought even more, you basically bring as many as you can. But those are unique mechanical things, in that melee can't be targeted by abilities that are basically the most dangerous elements of those bosses (torrent of ice and arcing lightning).

On any relatively normal fight with mechanics that everyone has to deal with, single target and especially multi target, ranged will always be favoured simply because the traditional negative associated with ranged (loss of dps while moving) doesn't really exist any more. Multidot is the biggest culprit.

I think for the most part Blizzard balance that with mechanics, as they did in T14, and with melee generally bringing a bit more utility with defensive raid CDs, better mobility etc.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
I am in a 10-man progression guild that is currently 4/13 heroic.
There is no reason to bring me (a windwalker monk) over the other DPS classes in our 12-person roster. All other specs are hugely out-performing Windwalker, and most have the added advantage of being ranged DPS.

So... very much agreed with OP. Please send help... sooner than 5.3!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

unslottable in normals too, I have resigned to building up my mw set and giving it a whirl until ww is decent again

As it stands monks do fine dps, especially for normals. Admittedly, they will certainly be looked over in a hardcore progression guild. I mean, at least we still got great mobility.

I'm top dps in my guild on most fights.

But then again.. I'm on Vashj.. the place where raider's hopes go to die. Kill me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
I do fairly well myself dpswise, even better since I recently acquired a Rune. But you have to look at the greater picture. You being top damage in the group you run with does not speak of how strong windwalker is, but how poor or lesser geared the other people probably are. Middling to low dps might be tolerable IF we had some kind of useful group utility, but as it stands we don't.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So, has anyone heard anything about 5.3 bringing some relief to monk dps? The gap is widening. I enjoy the class, but its getting irritating. The gap between melee and ranged is bad enough, the demand for ranged being so much higher, then being the bottom of the melee scale with the worst utility is horrible.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
So, has anyone heard anything about 5.3 bringing some relief to monk dps? The gap is widening. I enjoy the class, but its getting irritating. The gap between melee and ranged is bad enough, the demand for ranged being so much higher, then being the bottom of the melee scale with the worst utility is horrible.

On the PTR there the RSK debuffed was buffed from +10% to +20%.

Given that RSK does not affect Xuen or melee damage (including tiger strikes), the buff is equivalent to about +6.23% overall damage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LA
The small dps buff is nice, but we're still crippled by the lack of some kind of raid cd or other utility.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Given that RSK does not affect Xuen or melee damage (including tiger strikes), the buff is equivalent to about +6.23% overall damage.

Simcraft anticipates an 8.63% total performance buff.

WW DW T15N: 151831
WW DW T15N 20% RsK: 164939
=8.63% buff

Override line, if you want to test it yourself:
override.spell_data=effect.167487.base_value=20
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]