Being A Jerk is An Important Part Of Gaming?

83 Worgen Druid
This was a conversation from another forum that was actually pretty interesting, curious to see what people say here.

Recently there have been a few incidents in the esports world where players/members have acted like complete dbags and have been widely publicised regarding it.

Whether it was the Corpsegrinder incident a few years ago at Blizzcon, Destiny's infamous hatespeech online (getting him bounced from team to team), other pro players having their 'little moments' or a certain LoL pro getting a massive ban for being a douche in random games, this stuff always seems to be discussed.

Now in nearly all of these cases, the relevant discussions have had a *lot* of people who defended these individuals, especially these days of youtube celebrities and streaming. Not because they like them, but because they find them entertaining - and often someone says something along the lines of 'being a jerk is an important part of gaming tradition' and is the only thing that stops it from being boring. That players should have personalities, even if that personality is being an utter salty douchebag. Because, after all, "it's just a game".

I see a lot of this being used to justify some pretty obnoxious stuff in WoW, whether it's a certain well known guild using a phasing trick to constantly crash the opposite faction's capital or shut down the new daily hub, or someone like Corpsegrinder telling Alliance players to die IRL, a lot of people wheel out the 'just a game and rivalry is good for it, or else we lose our gaming culture'.

I don't know. Okay, some friendly banter can be entertaining, but I don't find antics like some of the crap we've seen in WoW/the gaming world in general cool in the least. I also cannot seperate everything somoene says online with their personalities IRL. I'm really happy that communities and organizations are cracking down on this stuff, whether it being banning people from the ladder for spouting garbage or penalizing them in their esports careers. I think that it's needed if people ever want to get rid of the image of the 'emotionally damaged manchild progamer' and make gaming into a slightly more respected passtime.

TL/DR: What do you think? Is being a jerk an important part of gaming? Or should companies/communities/organizations continue to take steps to enforce a minimum standard of behaviour?

EDIT: Okay, please lets keep this on topic and constructive.
Edited by Furÿ on 3/17/2013 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Being a jerk should never be part of any activity. Unfortunately, many people prefer to be jerks.
Reply Quote
Competative nature is a healthy part of gaming.

Some folks get competativeness confused with talking trash though.
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
Is Being A Jerk 'A Major Part Of Gaming'?

It's a major part of any sufficiently large group, particularly on the internet where inhibitions are lowered due to the reduction of consequences. It's not specific to gaming but gaming may have a higher percentage of immature people tuned to such behavior.
Edited by Corrock on 3/17/2013 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's an important part of making gaming profitable.
If all gamers were mature, the only people who would watch esports are people who are genuinely interested in the game.
If you know that people like IdrA are going to have a meltdown when they lose, then you'll attract a second type of spectator: the people who watch specifically for those meltdowns.

As the number of viewers increases, esports become more profitable, which means that professional players can be paid more.

And the easiest way to increase the number of viewers is to act in the most outrageous manner possible.

So the best way to earn more money is to act more outrageously. In this case, it entails acting like a total douchebag.

You know the saying. There's no such thing as bad publicity.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
03/17/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Corrock
It's a major part of any sufficiently large group, particularly on the internet where inhibitions are lowered due to the reduction of consequences.

It's not necessarily that it's a "major" part.

It's that it's a very visible part.

You don't pay much attention to the guy that doesn't talk a lot in General, does mediocre DPS on Galleon, grabs his loot and goes back to what he's doing. You pay attention to the guy mouthing off.
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Druid
03/17/2013 05:21 PMPosted by Crepe
It's a major part of any sufficiently large group, particularly on the internet where inhibitions are lowered due to the reduction of consequences.

It's not necessarily that it's a "major" part.

It's that it's a very visible part.

You don't pay much attention to the guy that doesn't talk a lot in General, does mediocre DPS on Galleon, grabs his loot and goes back to what he's doing. You pay attention to the guy mouthing off.

Hmm, I think my title was ambigious. I will edit.

What I meant was "is being a jerk an essential part of gaming". Stupid title limit :|
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
I think that it's needed if people ever want to get rid of the image of the 'emotionally damaged manchild progamer' and make gaming into a slightly more respected passtime.

It's no different from the "emotionally damanged manchild" anything. Sports nut, little league parent who screams at referees/umpires, granny at the grocery store who tries to run people down in her Rascal scooter.

It's a sad fact that competition is, had, and will always, draw out the worst in people, no matter what the activity is, and the only way any meaningful progress will happen in combating it will require a massive cultural paradigm shift in our attitudes towards competition and behavior towards others. With the anonymity inherent in online gaming, don't look for that to happen easily. Though, hopefully, focused groups of gamers can stem the tide of dbaggery in individual gaming communities through using the tools available to help enforce the game's rules and standards while collectively decrying the people who attempt to justify their jerkery.

Being a jerk may have become an inherent part of gaming but that, by no means, does it mean we have to accept it.
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Druid
Being a jerk may have become an inherent part of gaming but that, by no means, does it mean we have to accept it.

Yeah, that's my point. What surprises me is the people that defend being a jerk as some sort of positive thing.

I've seldom encountered any other community where people seem proud to be a gold-plated jackass, and receive support from others for it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
AFK

You know the saying. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Not true. It may cause a spike initially, but eventually people get bored or annoyed with it, and watchers drop. Enough drop, the sport dies.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

As long as there is any significant amount of people involved in something, there's always going to be jerks of varying degrees. While communities can have some effect on the prevalence in small groups, it's never going to go away. While some people act like jerks because they're stressed out, or because they see others doing it, some people are simply jerks regardless.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
It's funny. Why waste an opportunity for laughs? Why are you pissing on our parade? Because you are a soft marshmallow who can't take a joke? You guys are just a bunch of betas ganging up on the alphas who steal your girlfriends after pwning you because being strong and virile is "wrong". And if sometimes the devs side with you guys because they feel sorry for you that your feelings are constantly hurt it is because they are betas too and deserve to be gassed to death. Just like all the blizz devs do for not letting allies talk to the horde.

Yeah. It's definitely a parenting issue, isn't it.
Reply Quote
It's funny. Why waste an opportunity for laughs? Why are you pissing on our parade? Because you are a soft marshmallow who can't take a joke? You guys are just a bunch of betas ganging up on the alphas who steal your girlfriends after pwning you because being strong and virile is "wrong". And if sometimes the devs side with you guys because they feel sorry for you that your feelings are constantly hurt it is because they are betas too and deserve to be gassed to death. Just like all the blizz devs do for not letting allies talk to the horde.

What....are you babbling about?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
old baseball saying: "nice guys finish last"
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
old baseball saying: "nice guys finish last"

First prize is Herpes.

03/17/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Subjectalpha

It has nothing to do with that and you know. And for the 'gassed to death' comment, you should be straight-up suspended for a while.
Edited by Deatherknite on 3/17/2013 5:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You're a perfect example of d-baggery.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you Exhibit A. Note the primitive, unprovoked aggression. Please notice also the exhibit's attempt at self-aggrandizement, paired with his need to belittle others. Let us not forget his near psychopathic suggestion that we all be "gassed to death." I would be remiss if I didn't mention as well his attempt to simplify human interaction to the level of pack animals.

This is our opponent. Look at him and know.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]