Being A Jerk is An Important Part Of Gaming?

90 Gnome Mage
I don't think that being a jerk & being competitive are the same at all. I think it's perfectly possible to be competitive, without being a DBag.

But some people simply take advantage of Internet anonymity & become DBags, & then they remain DBags because other people cheer them on because they're "entertaining." Because, since that's the real-world explanation for DBags like Gordon Ramsey, why wouldn't it be that way in the virtual world, where nobody knows you're a dog?

03/17/2013 05:32 PMPosted by Kinimi
Why are you pissing on our parade?

You clearly forgot the :) to let us all know that you're totally not serious & totally not a DBag.

Right? You did forget that, right? Please say yes.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Being a jerk should never be part of any activity. Unfortunately, many people prefer to be jerks.

This.
Reply Quote
32 Human Priest
Hee hee, WoW is starting to remind me of NASCAR.

Before you start throwing things at me, let me explain the similarities.

1. WoW situation: People love to hate the bad guy ... or just love him cause they know it pisses off someone else. NASCAR's version: Kyle Busch. A complete butthead on and off the track, but there are a *TON* of people in M&M's gear at every track.

2. WoW situation: Spectators there just for the meltdown. NASCAR's version: The Big One. You know, that big, 20 car wreck that everyone is waiting to see happen. The people that only watch racing for the wrecks. Only problem is, those wrecks sometimes end up a lot worse than people actually want to see (last lap of the Daytona Nationwide race this year ... if you somehow missed the news of it, go to YouTube and search for "Kyle Larson Daytona Wreck", you'll find it).

3. Getting interested in it in the first place. Imagine you have no idea what WoW is, or you have a vague idea. Someone tries to explain it to you, maybe even shows you a fight on YouTube, and you're like "Um, ok, don't see what's so cool about it". Then they convince you to make a starter account. Three days later you've bought all the expansions and are checking Jinx.com every day for new clothes. Now imagine "NASCAR" in the place of "WoW" in that example. Someone convinces you to actually go to a race. You spend the entire weekend in the infield, partying your butt off, making new friends every time you turn around, listening to the team scanners and you learn that hey, there's more than "go fast turn left, any idiot can do that". Next thing you know, you're standing at a merch hauler dropping a few hundred bucks on the gear of the driver you've decided you like (for whatever reason), and arguing with anybody and everybody why your driver is better.

Unfortunately, being a jerk will be a part of anything that is anonymous. 99.99999% of the people you run into on WoW you will never meet in real life. So why bother being nice to them? It's not like you live or work with them and have to see them again. That's just the way some humans are.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Some people think being a jerk is an important part of gaming and/or life.

I disagree with them, though.
Reply Quote
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you Exhibit A. Note the primitive, unprovoked aggression. Please notice also the exhibit's attempt at self-aggrandizement, paired with his need to belittle others. Let us not forget his near psychopathic suggestion that we all be "gassed to death." I would be remiss if I didn't mention as well his attempt to simplify human interaction to the level of pack animals.

This is our opponent. Look at him and know.

Yeah well you're a fagit.

Yeah, well your grammar is lacking.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
It's funny. Why waste an opportunity for laughs? Why are you pissing on our parade? Because you are a soft marshmallow who can't take a joke? You guys are just a bunch of betas ganging up on the alphas who steal your girlfriends after pwning you because being strong and virile is "wrong". And if sometimes the devs side with you guys because they feel sorry for you that your feelings are constantly hurt it is because they are betas too and deserve to be gassed to death. Just like all the blizz devs do for not letting allies talk to the horde.

The amusing part is that as much as you think you're an alpha on the internet, you're probably the kid crying why you're being friendzoned.
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you Exhibit A. Note the primitive, unprovoked aggression. Please notice also the exhibit's attempt at self-aggrandizement, paired with his need to belittle others. Let us not forget his near psychopathic suggestion that we all be "gassed to death." I would be remiss if I didn't mention as well his attempt to simplify human interaction to the level of pack animals.

That's it? Seriously? That's the best you've got?

Give up. GO away. You're nothing but a waste of meat and bandwidth.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/harassment

I'll just leave this here.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Hunter
Being a jerk should never be part of any activity. Unfortunately, many people prefer to be jerks.

Agreed. I'm sure many hundreds if not thousands of others on these forums are like me and aren't new to gaming by any stretch of the imagination -- having played for a few decades now and see the rise of internet gaming popularity.

Jerks always existed (in the world and gaming) and unfortunately they always will until the day this mud ball called earth is one big lava ball and humanity is forever gone.

Its the rate and ease of being jerk that makes it so prominent these days. Every game (just about anyway) is a multiplayer game or has multiplayer ability...the Internet is second nature now to kids and most adults alike -- mix in what you might think I'm strange for -- but mix in the fact our society in general is so de-sensitized to violence, vulgarity, bad language, etc....and is it really that surprising so many people are virtual tough guys with a chip on their shoulder?

And then its the habit of passing on bad behavior (aka being a jerk) to others because its just so much easier to not give a crap...than it is to try and be respectful , be a good sport, etc..etc..

And lastly -- with the younger folks playing (school age kids) -- I don't know about you guys and where you live...but I swear to you I run into, hear stories of, or witness more cases of pre-teen and teenaged kids having zero respect for anybody, being self-centered to their core and having no manners at all...I mean I know they always existed but I've never noticed so many of them say 15-20 years ago as today.

Its like all parents today just suck or want to be "cool friends" with their kids instead of parents.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
You just don't understand my genious.

The only thing I don't understand is why I haven't already iggy'd you, but that's an easy fix.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It's funny. Why waste an opportunity for laughs? Why are you pissing on our parade? Because you are a soft marshmallow who can't take a joke? You guys are just a bunch of betas ganging up on the alphas who steal your girlfriends after pwning you because being strong and virile is "wrong". And if sometimes the devs side with you guys because they feel sorry for you that your feelings are constantly hurt it is because they are betas too and deserve to be gassed to death. Just like all the blizz devs do for not letting allies talk to the horde.

We'll all be jealous, or what is it kids say these days, jelly, of your six child support payments each month to five different women that you'll have in seven years.
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Druid

Because death threats against the devs make you cool.

Enjoy the holiday.

Also - I'll never get how being a proud douchebag makes you 'alpha'. Most of the 'alphas' I know are pretty decent blokes.
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Druid

And then you get some people who should be banned from video games for life on general principle.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]