Being A Jerk is An Important Part Of Gaming?

100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Not really. Then you just end up with 'the guy who is willing to use violence to get their way can do what he wants'.

The best anti-jerk tool available is to make rules/laws that prevent it from getting out of control. Or - in the context of videogames - introduce moderation.

There isn't any one solution. For some people, a solid thrashing is all it takes to yank their heads out of their [insert anatomy here]. For others, less direct methods are best. Of course, there are also those who are never going to be "fixed," and the only way to deal with them is to to stay away.
Reply Quote
The thing is that most people are inherantly agressive towards each other, it is an evolution and survival kind of thing. As our human culture has aged we have found it necessary to curb this aggression and have inhibitions in order to make the whole thing work.

Now in the age of technology where more and more anonymity is made available to us through the use of chatrooms, forums, emails, online games, etc we are sort of sliding back to our old ways of aggression and less inhibition.

This tends to allow us to be meaner and less tolerant of one another.

Then all humans that are this way need to die!
Edited by Arhagon on 3/17/2013 8:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warrior
Don't see jerk existance mattering.
People will herd together anyways, there will be nice pockets.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Hmm, I think my title was ambigious. I will edit.

What I meant was "is being a jerk an essential part of gaming". Stupid title limit :|

Nope. Not now, not earlier, and hopefully not in the future.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Not really. Then you just end up with 'the guy who is willing to use violence to get their way can do what he wants'.

The best anti-jerk tool available is to make rules/laws that prevent it from getting out of control. Or - in the context of videogames - introduce moderation.

All rules and laws have to be backed up by some physical force.

Just saying "you can't do that it says so right here!" will end up you being pushed over, them laughing at you and then continuing on whatever they were doing.
Edited by Redupilous on 3/17/2013 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Get rid of the concept of the individual and you will solve the problem of the human element. So, unless you want to be a drone serving the collective to hell with such ideas!
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Druid
Can you imagine how bad the kids today will be with their own kids?

Oh man...an entire generation raised by internet trolls, "REMATCH IRL" people and the "Do you even lift bro" crowd.

*shudder*.
Reply Quote
Humans are crazy the end, There is nothing else that actually makes any sense we are supposely the smarts beings in the planet we master alot and learn more and more but we are still govern by our insanity.
Reply Quote
98 Pandaren Monk
I'm starting to think the problem is stemming from people who are going nowhere in real life.. or have no real power or responsibility to speak of. Whether within their control or not, some of those people seem to want to compensate by acting out in online game in order to make themselves feel powerful or important.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
There are many ways to look at this topic within the confines of WoW. First off the context and who the comments are made to play a big part. WoW has the 2 opposing factions, so if your being a jerk whilst PvPing or in the Battlegrounds to someone on the other faction its alright in my book.
Now if your being a jerk to others in your faction, a person in your group, raid, or guild its just plain wrong. However if your making the comment as a joke or in a way that isnt ment to be serious its fine. I often give smart-alec replies to simple questions in trade chat. for example if someone were to ask me were the Valarian Wryn was I could reply 'He is in ICC', which he is. Now if someone in trade is asking that he is mostlikely talking about where he is at in Stormwind. Yet as he is in ICC its not like I was lying to him.

But in both cases there is a VERY FINE line that seperates compettetive trash talking and being a total grade-A Dbag and complete @$$hat.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
seems to be imporant to the pro fighting game players..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbruP7Z-3pU

NSFW btw....
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Druid
seems to be imporant to the pro fighting game players..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbruP7Z-3pU

NSFW btw....

At work now, but if this is what I'm thinking of, that's what I meant in the OP. Moviebob did a very decent "The Big Picture" article on it a while back too.
Reply Quote
I still say we are just crazy!
Reply Quote
83 Worgen Druid
I'm starting to think the problem is stemming from people who are going nowhere in real life.. or have no real power or responsibility to speak of. Whether within their control or not, some of those people seem to want to compensate by acting out in online game in order to make themselves feel powerful or important.

Also a good point. I mean...just look at some of the notorious SC2 BMers. I mean really - look at them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]