What happened Dalaran?!

90 Dwarf Priest
What happened to the glorious Dalaran that I used to call home? Why hast thou fallen from mediocre grace into this dark abyss?
Reply Quote
95 Human Warrior
Everyone transferred to Area 52 and play Horde.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue

Yep.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I like catz. meow
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Hi Darlough.

To answer your question, I'll start back at the end of Wrath: Kismet joined the server, MoS went 10 man, Kistmet died and turned into Clique, Dominance formed and died, Doom died, Aftermath died, Legitimate died, Ascend died, Gaia left, Altscend formed and died, CMR went 25 man, CMR split into CMR and Parallax, CMR died, all that's left is Parallax. That's your brief history of the last 3 years of Dalaran raiding.
Edited by Baretaank on 3/14/2013 4:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter

Nope :)
Edited by Gothen on 3/14/2013 7:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
To answer your question, I'll start back at the end of Wrath: Kismet joined the server, MoS went 10 man, Kistmet died and turned into Clique, Dominance formed and died, Doom died, Aftermath died, Legitimate died, Ascend died, Gaia left, Altscend formed and died, CMR went 25 man, CMR split into CMR and Parallax, CMR died, all that's left is Parallax. That's your brief history of the last 3 years of Dalaran raiding.

Authentic says hello, why you forget us? :(
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Progress on the server is just so non existent now. Makes me a somewhat sad panda.
Reply Quote
95 Human Warrior
Progress on the server is just so non existent now. Makes me a somewhat sad panda.

It's a purely numbers related.

Take Area-52; they have over 30,000 reported lvl 90s w/ over 18,000 "active" level 90s

Dalaran; at last look had over 8000 reported lvl 90s w/ not quite 5000 "active" level 90s

Knowing those numbers Dalaran has eleventy billion guilds all recruiting over the top of one another. Look at this front page of Dalaran. There are as many guilds recruiting on Dalaran on the front page as a server like Area52 or Thrall (both higher population numbers).

As a real world example, we have struggled this whole time to maintain "10" raiders. We were typical: 6/6; 2/6; 0/0 stuck on Garalon. Admittedly we had a total of two weeks that one could label "progression" - both weeks we had "10" guild members. Well, last week we merged with another guild, and last week we got Garalon, Windlord, and Amber shaper all in two days.

Again, I fully acknowledge that t14 got nerfed but still...week in and out of having "8" or "9" and having "10" have drastic differences.

The concept of a "guild" needs to be redefined. Larger, robust guilds should be the direction; not smaller, numerous guilds with "just enough to raid".

Example: XYZ guild has "7", they would be better served merging into "AL" and look to raid with "AL" alts or overflow members instead of trying to recruit over the top of the other 9 guilds.

You get rid of ranks alltogether: GM (cuz you can't get rid of it); Calendar creators (people who schedule the raid); Members (main toons); Alts.

That's it.

Have the "Calendar Creators"...create the events as a sign up. The members sign up for the raids that match their playtime.

Heroic focus players can still let themselves gravitate to the heroic progression guilds and not impact a Larger, robust guild that is working out of a larger pool.

In order for it to be successful, current "GM"s have to take on the same leadership role. They just won't have that "GM" title. The guild being merged into can't treat it like an "us" and "them". Rather, it has to be: "raid" or "hoping to find someone in trade chat/friends list". There isn't a person on the roster that I don't enjoy playing with, but the fact of the matter is I am the furthest behind in progression I have ever been in wow and it's explicitly due to numbers.

Too many people want to show up when they want to show up and raid when they want to raid (thank you LFR). It takes a combination of both self initiative and commitment to a group. Right now that doesn't exist and the progression reflects it.

Technically you could apply this to top 5 guilds on the server. Why do they need to be 5 separate guilds? Why couldn't the top 5 guilds all look to see which guild has the highest achievement points/most unlocked perks - all 5 guilds merge into one guild. Make a Level 1 alt the "GM", put all the existing GMs at the "rank 2" as calendar creators, place all the "Mains" in one rank, then place all their alts in another rank?

If "progression guild #1" was raiding Sunday night and one of their guys ended up unable to make it, wouldn't it be more beneficial to them to pull an alt from "progression guild #2" right from the guild roster?

The only thing stopping this is ego.
Edited by Cana on 3/20/2013 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What.jpg
Reply Quote
95 Human Warrior
What.jpg

Lets take you guys: Hooray for Evil.

Tell me why: Hooray; Twilight Guard, Night Haven, Gentlemen's Parlor, Legitimate, and Unleased couldn't unify under one banner?

Make a Level 1 alt as the GM. Make a rank: "schedule maker" and put all the existing GMs as that rank. Go into the Guild tools and put a check in all the boxes making this rank have every right the GM has. Then have all the members join as...members. Have all their alts join as...alts.

Now you have a larger pool of players working under one umbrella instead of 5 entities that all recruit over the top of one another. If someone has to be out, wouldn't you rather an alt of Night Haven or Legitimate to be able to ask in guild chat instead of spamming /2?

I"ve said it before, and Dralnor could confirm. That's how I structured the guild now. There are no "ranks" to speak of in name. Dralnor has 100% rights that he had in his guild. I gave him 100% acess to every slot in the bank. He can make calendar invites. He can invite to the guild and promote. Revision raided on Sundays, so the first thing he did was make a Sunday raid on the schedule. Now other players can see and sign up for that raid.

If another adult guild approached me and wanted to merge, I would do the exact same thing. The GM would be invited first, promoted to the highest rank, given 100% privileges and then those new players could access existing raids as well as, if they raided a specific time/day members could elect to sign up for their raids.

It's a hard sell though. People like the idea of being their own entity. Unfortunately, we just don't have the numbers to support it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
As to the OP question, the server is in decline like a lot of others and likely the game. The main thing that keeps most long-term players around is raiding, and the top raiding guilds have left for more populated servers with a larger pool of raiders to draw from. This leaves the smaller guilds with a smaller pool of less progressed or capable players. LFR compounded the problem as casual raiders no longer have to be in a guild or raid with a guild to raid. If LFR only dropped blue gear, we'd likely see more demand for normal and heroic raiding, but LFR is just too easy for those with limited time who consider it 'good enough'.

As Cana mentioned we did decide to close down Revision and merge into Acceptable Losses and I think it was the right more for us. We had lost at least 1/2 our raid core to real life issues and since Christmas we had only raided a few times and that with 3 or 4 pugs at least. With the merger we now have 20+ online at night and there are always people around to run lfr or bgs or 5s or whatever, and, like Revision, AL also has no kids or drama which is a big plus.

If there is another guild of adults who like to raid out there looking to escape spamming /2 for an hour on raid nights, think about a merger; less stress and more raid time.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I honestly didn't expect such in depth and serious answers from my original post lol
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Yes, Authentic's 4 raid groups say hello:D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Yes, Authentic's 4 raid groups say hello:D

Indeed. Revitalizing Dalaran Horde: one raid group at a time!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Tell me why: Hooray; Twilight Guard, Night Haven, Gentlemen's Parlor, Legitimate, and Unleased couldn't unify under one banner?

Different raid times, different personalities, different raid lead styles
Reply Quote
95 Human Warrior
03/21/2013 06:39 PMPosted by Febreeze
Different raid times,

That's not a reason against, that's a reason FOR merging under one umbrella

different personalities

You don't have to talk or listen, turn off guild chat and create your own channel and have everyone join. Keep your own vent. You're only merging under one umbrella for the purpose of finding a quality replacement from another team instead of spamming /2

different raid lead styles

I could argue this too would be a benefit and not reason against.

Again, raid leaders wouldn't change other than they'd be called: "Calendar makers".

All 3 of the points you made could be argued ego driven.

Take what i'm saying with a grain of salt too. I'm a little bitter after killing 3 brand new bosses last week, the cancelling back2back raids this week because once again we had "9" people.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Well, take Night Haven, for example. They raid late at night, so unless you raid late at night as well, you can't merge with them. Also, I feel it's against the point of having a guild if you don't talk to each other out of raid time, so might as well just stay in individual guilds and use trade chat/general chat to communicate.

And yeah, I'd be frustrated about calling a raid if you're only one short.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
If you want to make anything happen here esp on horde, you need to recruit off server or which a few of you might be aware of because we did it a lot: poaching. Which in and of itself is hard if you suck. I think to many guilds are just scared to replace anyone in the core. Even if they are not making the cut, things don't change by themselves. You make them change.
Edited by Madshøt on 3/21/2013 11:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
To talk about what Cena is trying to say at what point is it even a guild anymore? Also different personalities is a HUGE issue in the raid, why the heck am I raiding if it's with 15 people I can't stand, let alone work together to kill something. I mean Authentic runs 4 raid groups so it could be done either way. If someone in group 1 can't make it we take a player from group 2. We're not running around merging with guilds or need some ridiculously over complicated rank setup.
Edited by Madshøt on 3/21/2013 11:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]