Copying one drive to another

1 Human Warlock
Hi guys. I have a PC that has a 60GB SSD drive that it uses to boot. It only has windows on it and various drivers for other stuff. I want to swap this SSD out for a bigger one so I can put games on it too.

Is it possible to install a new SSD and then copy it to my new SSD? I want to move windows on my current SSD to a new one I am going to buy.

If I can do that, how do I do it? Do I just create a backup file or what?

Ty.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I don't know much about your set up but why not just add the new SSD as a second drive, you should be able to have multiple harddrives so just keep windows on your current drive and add the new drive to install games/programs to.

And no you can't just copy windows over to the new drive if you wanted to replace the drive, you'd have to reinstall everything on the new drive.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
With SSDs, you want to reinstall the OS on it, because of the way the storage is put on an SSD, an exact mirror isn't a good idea, unlike with HDDs.

Also you'd have to configure Windows to use its SSD settings, and that's some trouble.
Edited by Lyrenna on 3/13/2013 10:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Warlock
With SSDs, you want to reinstall the OS on it, because of the way the storage is put on an SSD, an exact mirror isn't a good idea, unlike with HDDs.

Also you'd have to configure Windows to use its SSD settings, and that's some trouble.

So if I put a new SSD in and then put windows on it I can format the old one and it will all be sweet?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Yeah.

I would try some kind of diskcopy thing first, which copies everything over (I think the best way to do that is from either a different operating system, or a bootable DVD/whatever.)

I remember that whenever I got a new western digital hard drive, they always had a set of tools that did that flawlessly (but this was before the days of SSD.)

That sounds easier, if it works, than what previous mentioned.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]