warlock vs hunter (pet classes)

90 Blood Elf Priest
I have decided to retire my priest due to recent patch, still competing but just seems different w/ mind spike glyph nerfed and few other things, so i think i want to reroll hunter or warlock(pet class)

in a pvp aspect only(dont raid) which is better in your opinion? i was thinking about just going lock cause they seem like a better spriest and have 3 very different specs to choose from, and as a resource system i like mana alot better than energy/focus/rage

but a hunter would be a change up due to being physical damage, more of a kiting class and just not a caster.

i'm not trying to jump on any bandwagon just trying to find a fun class to play(if i wanted to be fotm op i would just roll a mage, warrior or rogue lol)
Reply Quote
91 Orc Hunter
They can't be compared.

warlock
You spread filthy lies. Hunter >|
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The only hard part about playing a Hunter in PvP is probably traps, and that's pretty hard to do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
so we have a debate :)
Reply Quote
67 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm no expert, but being a hunter seems pretty straightforward play. Being a warlock requires juggling a lot of DOTs and depending on your spec, meters of "energy" in addition to mana. Demonologists get fury, affliction locks get soul shards, etc., to use while spell casting. So it depends on what you like or your mood—lots of interlocking elements or something a bit less involved.

The nice thing about warlocks is you don't need to stable your pets; you can summon any whenever you want. The downside to that is there's no customization—no name changes or choices of demons except when you level. Some demons are tanking demons, others do ranged melee. The hunter's pet can always tank.

But my hunter is only level 28, so maybe I dunno. Hunters?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm no expert, but being a hunter seems pretty straightforward play. Being a warlock requires juggling a lot of DOTs and depending on your spec, meters of "energy" in addition to mana. Demonologists get fury, affliction locks get soul shards, etc., to use while spell casting. So it depends on what you like or your mood—lots of interlocking elements or something a bit less involved.

The nice thing about warlocks is you don't need to stable your pets; you can summon any whenever you want. The downside to that is there's no customization—no name changes or choices of demons except when you level. Some demons are tanking demons, others do ranged melee. The hunter's pet can always tank.

But my hunter is only level 28, so maybe I dunno. Hunters?

well i'm not new to juggling dots or multi dotting to keep procs coming as a spriest, and the shadow orb resource system is horrible, one shadow orb every 8secs(24sec to get all them w/out SW:D) and ya hunters have a wide array of pets but each one is situational and only have really one ability per pet.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Destro locks > Hunters.

It's all in survivability.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Hunters are a unique experience. Only physical ranged damage class, we can practically do all our damage while moving, we get to choose our pets (which are awesome.)

But we are pretty straightforward when it comes to rotations. I think some people would call it 'stupidly simple' I guess.

I think hunters are the most fun out of all the classes. I love sending in my Devilsaur to eat mob's faces while I blow them full of lead! It's satisfying!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hunters are a unique experience. Only physical ranged damage class, we can practically do all our damage while moving, we get to choose our pets (which are awesome.)

But we are pretty straightforward when it comes to rotations. I think some people would call it 'stupidly simple' I guess.

I think hunters are the most fun out of all the classes. I love sending in my Devilsaur to eat mob's faces while I blow them full of lead! It's satisfying!

what i would like to know is though if your not bm, well even if you are and after cd's are popped, where does the dmg come from. it seems you only get 2-3 moves before you have to spam cobra shot 2-3 times to get not even all of your focus back, just seems ineffecient imo, but maybe i'm used to mana is all having played caster classes (heals from vanilla-woltk)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Wait...wasn't there a mage retirement thread due for the same reason (this patch)?

I'm smelling a troll.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Wait...wasn't there a mage retirement thread due for the same reason (this patch)?

I'm smelling a troll.

Apparently EVERYONE is rerolling for a fotm class. Awesomesauce.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If you want to go Warlock, I heard Destro is destroying in battlegrounds. But then again, my guild mate could have just been bragging at his victories.

I play a Beast Master hunter, and when I did go into battlegrounds, I did just fine unless a rogue attached themselves to me. And when I say "attached themselves", I mean they literally singled me out. Every. Single. Battleground.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

I'm smelling a troll.

Apparently EVERYONE is rerolling for a fotm class. Awesomesauce.

Eh, I'm playing all my toons. I like a variety of flavor. None are retired.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
If you want to go Warlock, I heard Destro is destroying in battlegrounds. But then again, my guild mate could have just been bragging at his victories.

I play a Beast Master hunter, and when I did go into battlegrounds, I did just fine unless a rogue attached themselves to me. And when I say "attached themselves", I mean they literally singled me out. Every. Single. Battleground.
Destro does destroy kinda.

I had an AV match once, did 50 million damage, and didn't die once. The Alliance was turtling, so I got to stand around casting Fire and Brimstone + Incinerates with Mannoroth's Fury and Rain of Fire and the whole shabang going. Crushed the entire Alliance turtle in about two minutes. It's just too much AoE damage for people to handle when you're hitting 15+ people at a time with it. Plus the unlimited Ember Taps when AoEing big groups does wonders for surviving if you get death gripped.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

I'm smelling a troll.

know nothing of a mage retiring, why would they being op as they are, and i'm no troll sir
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
If your looking for good pvp and a FUN class to play choose a HUNTER... I about to roll another one
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If your looking for good pvp and a FUN class to play choose a HUNTER... I about to roll another one

why would you roll another one when you arent even 90 yet, and if you were why would you roll another hunter? i think you are leading me astray
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Hunter
I've played both a warlock and a hunter, but I like the hunter better. Each have their own talents and what-not, but if your looking to be able to choose what type of pet you want to run with you in battle, the hunter is the way to go. It's always fun to see a exotic or rare creature that you can tame. Pets have the option to either be cunning, tank, or damage, no matter what the animal is. It just depends on whether you want to keep some magic type abilities with the warlock, or go with shot spells and traps with the hunter. Try both and see which you like better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I play a handful of classes....but warlock and hunter are my absolute favorites. I pvp on both and enjoy both immensely, they both have their pros n cons, I will say though for survivability and burst dmg the hunter surpasses my locks.......and this is only MY opinion. At this point in the game I am bm spec on my hunters. My locks are destro. Everyone plays differently and I have no doubt that there are warlocks who will beg to differ with me which I will NOT argue. Try both and you decide. Im sure one of the two will fit your playstyle best and will end up as your favorite. Good luck!

PS....I hide on both classes from spriests......wth?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]