Was single player ever an idea?

75 Human Warlock
So, I was just reading a article on yahoo about video games and suddenly the question popped in my head. Was single player ever an idea for WoW? Like did they ever consider maybe adding a single player mode like they have done for Starcraft and Warcraft? I mean I know those games are very different from WoW, and WoW was never meant for single player... but still.

How would some of you feel about the idea?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Try question with all chat logs closed.

Pretend that the players are invincible pterodactyls who periodically swoop down and kill you.

Single player mode is also offline mode, which is what most would use it for.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
world of warcraft.
the name itself implies there wouldn't be.
and doing dungeons and raids in a single would be odd then you got the hacks and the modders that would just get their characters maxed out and just eh
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Aside from random dungeon runs via LFD I have solo'ed my whole way to 90 and continue to do so.

Most MMOs are solo'er friendly at this point to -some- degree. WoW is fairly solo friendly I think.
Reply Quote
75 Human Warlock
I thought single player mode is pve right? You can just quest and kill random creatures across the land....and I guess you wouldnt q for random instances...and if u did bg I guess you would pretend that the other players are bots...or just dont q at all...

and turn all the chat channels off. that would be a must.

Well.... I guess that one could do that, it could make up for a story mode.

Pretend that the players are invincible pterodactyls who periodically swoop down and kill you.

Lol
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
So, I was just reading a article on yahoo about video games and suddenly the question popped in my head. Was single player ever an idea for WoW? Like did they ever consider maybe adding a single player mode like they have done for Starcraft and Warcraft? I mean I know those games are very different from WoW, and WoW was never meant for single player... but still.

All my toons would play in there underwear.
Reply Quote
75 Human Warlock

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Yes! I could complete quests in a timely manner. LOL!!!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

Have a sense of humor lol.
Reply Quote
19 Dwarf Monk
I would hate it and it would make me quit, but I would absolutely love a Warcraft single player RPG. Not a singleplayer mode in WoW, but a full fledged new release single player rpg. A starcraft one too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I would hate it and it would make me quit, but I would absolutely love a Warcraft single player RPG. Not a singleplayer mode in WoW, but a full fledged new release single player rpg. A starcraft one too.

This. :)

[edit] Like a Vanilla-WoTLK RPG?
Edited by Gilda on 3/15/2013 3:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
70 Worgen Death Knight

What do you mean that Starcraft and Warcraft weren't meant for single player? Is this a troll job? Warcraft and Warcraft II were obviously made for single player, Warcraft II was terribly unbalanced in multiplayer until they released the battlenet edition.
Reply Quote
19 Dwarf Monk
[edit] Like a Vanilla-WoTLK RPG?
Exactly, pretty much oblivion or skyrim or the witcher 2 but in the Warcraft universe. Or starcraft, I feel like if all of blizzard worked on an RPG it would be amazing.

"The Founding of Durotar" was a single player version of WoW. It was the best bonus level I have ever played.
It was just that though, a single player bonus campaign. It was basically just a WC3 mod.
Edited by Beerbeard on 3/15/2013 3:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If you look at the original box, it was advertised as having the option of playing in a group or solo. That was a big selling point at the time for some people. At least for me it was. Coming from a game like ffxi where you couldn't do much of anything without a group, and having to wait for hours sometimes to get in a group.
While you can't do all of the content as a single player, the game is soloable all the way to max level.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
There are any number of single player games available.

Why would you subscribe to an MMO with the idea of a single player game?

That being said, there's a lot to do in this game solo. But for the good stuff, you're going to have to group up.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
A world server all to yourself. It would be quiet, but I'd like the idea. and No I'm not moving to a dead server :) lol
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
I can't see the appeal. You'd level your character up to 90 by questing or soloing instances...and then what would you do? There'd be little you could accomplish on your own at level cap. Yeah, even on a blood DK.

What's stopping you from doing things on your own in WoW anyway, if you find the idea enjoyable?
Edited by Seyl on 3/15/2013 5:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]