"Ganking" now means...?

90 Orc Rogue
To me, ganking means the loser doesn't really have much or any chance.

The enemy is too high level.

There are too many of them.

Someone is attacked when they are near dead or are being eaten by mobs.

It now seems to mean someone lost in pvp and nothing more. Am I missing something?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
To me, ganking means the loser doesn't really have much or any chance.

The enemy is too high level.

There are too many of them.

Someone is attacked when they are near dead or are being eaten by mobs.

I would agree with all of these things. Maybe people feel better about losing if they say gank these days?

/shrug
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Maybe instead of level difference people use their skill level as a justifier instead of gear
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
I am wondering and think you are right. Bad word choice if true IMO. I am not very good at PvP. That means if I got beat bad in an even fight I fought poorly. I am not going to call that ganked though. That is beaten, fair and square.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I thought ganking just meant attacked out of the blue; a cheap shot; a blow below the belt; a stab in the back; and etc.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It now seems to mean someone lost in pvp and nothing more. Am I missing something?

I lot of people seem to be misusing it that way, the same way people seem to be misusing entitlement.

On the other hand, a lot of the claims of ganking on RH are justified. To me it isn't attacking out of the blue, it's when there is no chance, personally I ambush people 1vs1 without a raid backing me up. But groups both alliance and horde minimize the chance of them putting up a fight, i'm biased but I find horde ganksquads are more often then not responses to alliance ganksquads where back in Vanilla and BC it was the reverse.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Ganking

It is a word commonly used in online video games, usually used in an MMORPG. Ganking is the process in which a group of characters gang up on one or more players that do not have a chance to defend themselves, Or when one high level player does the same action to a player way below his or her own level.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ganking
Edited by Tîmelord on 3/15/2013 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
03/15/2013 12:38 PMPosted by Darethy

I lot of people seem to be misusing it that way, the same way people seem to be misusing entitlement.

On the other hand, a lot of the claims of ganking on RH are justified. To me it isn't attacking out of the blue, it's when there is no chance, personally I ambush people 1vs1 without a raid backing me up. But groups both alliance and horde minimize the chance of them putting up a fight, i'm biased but I find horde ganksquads are more often then not responses to alliance ganksquads where back in Vanilla and BC it was the reverse.

My guess is a lot of the vanilla/BC gankers faction transferred alliance to take advantage of the large amount of Horde targets. I did the same for awhile until I missed a healthy economy. Peace and love...Peace and love.
Edited by Tîmelord on 3/15/2013 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I thought ganking just meant attacked out of the blue; a cheap shot; a blow below the belt; a stab in the back; and etc.

Ya, that's how I interpret it.

A surprise kill.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Bunch of carebear guilds. J/k

Hey, if you really want me to contrive an IC reason for Ryoka to kill you, I suppose I can oblige. She's just rarely the aggressor RPly.

Okay so here's a scenario.

Let's say you're on Thunder Island and you turn a corner and boom, a group of 8 members of the opposite faction are coming at you. Is it "better" to turn and try to get away at first sight or simply engage them all in an act of futility?

I would run. And hide. Engaging is a waste of your time and theirs.

More words that describe my idea of ganking: blindside, bushwhack, sucker punch.

Basically, I feel ganked when there wasn't even a chance for me to give the attacker a challenge (assuming I am even good enough to do so). By the way, this is /not/ something I regularly practice in-game. For both IC and OOC reasons.
Edited by Ryöka on 3/15/2013 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Apparently, "ganking" has several meanings, but the most common usage refers to a very one-sided fight, in which the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

For instance, a level 90 killing anyone under 85, would probably be a gank. If said 90 was PvP-geared, then it might even include other 90s. But generally refers to extreme differences in level.

A proper gank might also include a gang of Horde beating a solo Alliance, or vice-versa (good luck finding a gang of Alliance!). The derivation of that seems to be someone referring to being killed by a gang and mistyping the word.

Lastly, I have heard that the term used to refer to the act of killing someone who was engaged with a mob at the time, thereby putting them at risk of equipment damage, depending on who stabbed/pierced/cut/enspelled/ensorcelled/soulfire'd the victim last. This, of course, is the lowest form of gank and any retribution dealt to the attacker is completely earned.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
03/15/2013 12:38 PMPosted by Darethy

I prefer the term "horde population control"
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I prefer the term "horde population control"

For the alliance, I prefer "exterminatus."
Edited by Darethy on 3/15/2013 2:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
It could also mean Darethy showed up ... OH LOOK WHO'S HERE.

Between the shoulderblades, please. Not in the face. I just had it done.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
It means PVP happened. There is no fair or unfair there is only kill or be killed. We all get our fair share of death on a PVP server. Laugh it off and keep going, always looking forward to your vengeance.

Oh and keep a list.. I do lol
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It could also mean Darethy showed up ... OH LOOK WHO'S HERE.

Between the shoulderblades, please. Not in the face. I just had it done.

I'm sorry son, I compulsively attack peoples faces due to the lack of my own, or at least something that mortals 'qualify' as a face.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I dont think ive been killed 1v1 this expansion. Always get sag and dnd and his group to help kill me. Quite pathetic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

It now seems to mean someone lost in pvp and nothing more.

Just like 'winning' has come to mean 'take a queue or CRG invite to avoid dying.'
Reply Quote
15 Dwarf Paladin
Just like 'winning' has come to mean 'take a queue or CRG invite to avoid dying.'

^

on the whole though, i have to wonder what point there is to define the word? does it really change anything in anyone's mind? will gankers try to reform to not be 'gankers'? would it be possible, especially if no one believes he is a ganker? will gankees feel better about being killed if they are 'lovingly culled' instead?

personally i see it as a curious-but-futile effort -- but by all means, carry on!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

on the whole though, i have to wonder what point there is to define the word? does it really change anything in anyone's mind

It may not change their mind per se; it may change their tune. I've seen many, many people bragging about the pvp skills turn around and rant, whine, etc. when it happens to them.

It also strikes me as odd that people who say "get a thick skin" seem to have the hardest time growing their own.
Edited by Kiraleen on 3/15/2013 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]