Possible Oondasta fix for dying/dead realms.

90 Undead Monk
Perhaps add a stacking debuff on Oondasta that increases the longer he is alive (hourly or daily). This could potentially allow dying realms who can't form more than a single full raid group (over the course of a few hours) the ability to kill him eventually.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
You need a two tanks and maybe two or three healers to join a raid group by themselves. Have your first tank pick up the boss, turn him away from the group and stand as still as possible. They need to have a major cd up for every cone that he does but if you do this correctly, the tanks should live long enough for 25 or 30 people to kill him.

The fight is very, very easy if you have a few people who can think rationally.
Edited by Xiic on 3/16/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
You need a two tanks and maybe two or three healers to join a raid group by themselves. Have your first tank pick up the boss, turn him away from the group and stand as still as possible. They need to have a major cd up for every cone that he does but if you do this correctly, the tanks should live long enough for 25 or 30 people to kill him.

While normally I would agree with you, the increased damage stacks he does tends to start hurting at 7+ which comes by fairly quick when you only have ~25 dps killing him.

Also, let me know when you have tried it with 40 people because I know BH would have 4 full groups there formed within 5 minutes.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
870mil should take about 7 minutes with just 1 raid group.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior

While normally I would agree with you, the increased damage stacks he does tends to start hurting at 7+ which comes by fairly quick when you only have ~25 dps killing him.

Also, let me know when you have tried it with 40 people because I know BH would have 4 full groups there formed within 5 minutes.

I killed it multiple times on other servers the first week. I promise it is perfectly killable with about 40 people if you can coordinate the tank swaps and they use big cds for every cone.
Edited by Xiic on 3/16/2013 2:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Oondasta is supposed to be incredibly difficult and taken down by Heroic raiders. If they ever tried to add a debuff to him for being up for extended periods of time it would have to be a day by day thing.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
I like the OP's idea personally, if they intend to keep it non cross-realmable.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Oondasta is supposed to be incredibly difficult and taken down by Heroic raiders. If they ever tried to add a debuff to him for being up for extended periods of time it would have to be a day by day thing.

It is completely nullified when you are on a medium or high pop server where guilds there are actually in heroic progression and/or you have enough people to just zerg it. Lower pop realms tend to be at the bottom of the barrel in terms of raiding. It would be a Christmas miracle to get 25 dps in a 40 man on Nazjatar that all did over 80k dps to kill him in 7 minutes (which isn't even amazing numbers by any means).
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
The loots not even appealing to heroic raiders, so I'm not sure why it was targeted at them. I've cleared ToT normal a couple of times, and only one of the 6 caster items is an upgrade for me at this point. Should have at least been 528 ilvl to reflect that difficulty and intended audience. (though it hasn't panned out that way on high pops anyway, he's just zerged down)
Edited by Digerati on 3/16/2013 4:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
The loots not even appealing to heroic raiders, so I'm not sure why it was targeted at them. I've cleared ToT normal a couple of times, and only one of the 6 caster items is an upgrade for me at this point. Should have at least been 528 ilvl to reflect that difficulty and intended audience. (though it hasn't panned out that way on high pops anyway, he's just zerged down)

I really think the tagline of "Heroic World Boss" was just PR fluff and nothing more.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
If Oondasta was targeted at Heroic raiders why does he only drop 522 loot. Why make a heroic world encounter in the first place, that's what heroic mode raids were for lol.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Mail epix plz

If we can't kill it, give it a stacking debuff until he just dies.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree that he doesn't really live up to the 'heroic difficulty' idea. I think it would be cool if Spiritfire Beam didn't have a maximum number of jumps. The raid that zerged him down this morning on Thrall would have seen over 100 dead bodies in seconds. :)

I can't imagine what it's like trying to down him on a low pop server atm. We had three mostly-full raid groups at 7am on a Sunday...and it still took us another hour or so to down him.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I agree that he doesn't really live up to the 'heroic difficulty' idea. I think it would be cool if Spiritfire Beam didn't have a maximum number of jumps. The raid that zerged him down this morning on Thrall would have seen over 100 dead bodies in seconds. :)

It would be literally impossible and require 1 idiot standing near melee to wipe an entire raid.

that 1 idiot could be 1 person of literally 10,000's on a server, the chance of that happening is really high.

It was done with around 40 people with "organized" raids, we simply had everyone sub 100k DPS tag and move away, and killed him in about 3 stacks efficiently and no problems.
Edited by Azane on 3/17/2013 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
It would be literally impossible and require 1 idiot standing near melee to wipe an entire raid.

that 1 idiot could be 1 person of literally 10,000's on a server, the chance of that happening is really high.

Actually the real reason this wouldn't be possible is because the server would crash instantly based on their current tech. Everytime any type of Chain Lightning-type spell is cast, the server has to instantaneously calculate a lot of variables to determine the overall conclusion (where each jump goes to next, randomized out of possible nearby players each jump, among other things). This limitation is also why they said they will probably never buff Chain Heal's jump range to greater than 10 yards (though it was changed to 12.5 during that same PTR cycle). Twenty targets for Spiritfire Beam is already pushing it.
Edited by Thecheat on 3/17/2013 11:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/17/2013 11:04 AMPosted by Azane

It was done with around 40 people with "organized" raids, we simply had everyone sub 100k DPS tag and move away, and killed him in about 3 stacks efficiently and no problems.

That means it's pretty much impossible to make a 'heroic' outdoor raid boss. Because in instanced heroic raid encounters, 1 idiot can wipe you quite readily. Even in normal instanced raids, 1 person (the guy standing under the big bug, chilling in the wind bomb, etc) can often blow up a raid.

I guess another possibility could be the Doomwalker solution - if you die while in combat with the world boss, get a 10 minute debuff equivalent to rez sickness that prevents you from contributing to the rest of that pull.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
They need to have the next "heroic" world boss surrounded by alysrazor tornadoes so that idiots can't get to the boss easily to wipe the raid and the boss needs to have a halion cutter mechanic to cull the weak when they do get to the boss.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
Oondasta is working as intended on bad realms.

He wasn't supposed to be another zerged in two minutes because no mechanic can stand up to enough warm bodies boss.

He was supposed to stay alive until a group that wasnt terrible got together to kill him
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'd imagine it's easier with less people, as you can get them to do the fight right. On BR, 100+ people show up within 5 minutes. We try to explain the fight in general chat but someone just spams "ONLY KILL METHOD IS KITE DOWN BEACH, GY ZERG GY ZERG KITE KITE KITE" and someone pulls and it's a $%#@ show from there on. An hour later he finally dies and people moan and gripe about their repair bills.

Edit: Here's the thing about these fixes. Oondasta is not necessarily supposed to die, he's not supposed to be easy. You're not supposed to be able to just show up with however many people and get him to fall over at the sight of you. So these fixes that make him easier wouldn't really be fixing it.
Edited by Zakigga on 3/17/2013 12:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
I guess another possibility could be the Doomwalker solution - if you die while in combat with the world boss, get a 10 minute debuff equivalent to rez sickness that prevents you from contributing to the rest of that pull.

Ya, something like this, and no "chain" mechanics, all individual checks, ghost spawns ala Leotheras that kill the player, or something to that affect, or some kind of mechanic besides" spread out, don't stand in front DUR HEROIC TUNED"

but pretty much the world boss issue, people expect it to be welfare, it's evident
Edited by Azane on 3/17/2013 12:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]