Why do all "fun" items have such long CDs?

90 Human Warrior
I just recently got the Ra'Sha's Sacrificial Dagger, and it was actually fun with around a 5 minute CD on it. With the recent nerf to it, now it is on a 30 minute CD, and has a cast time (why does it even need one???) What exactly is the reasoning behind this? I don't really understand why all of these novelty items need such long CDs, when they provide no advantage at all.
Reply Quote
28 Orc Warlock
I just want to be able to use my Murloc Costume in combat. It's been six years, Blizzard.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Night Elf Priest
Well, if I had to give a serious answer... it's most likely because they don't want them being useable long enough to make them get old. i.e. If they were seen too often, they wouldn't have much appeal.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Because it was harmless and fun.

Anything harmless and fun must automatically be destructive to EVERYTHING and what ever the most extreme opposite of fun is, so it must be nerfed.

Next time, don't enjoy anything you do in the game, Blizzard will just nerf it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Look at it this way, it's better to have a long cooldown now than to have Blizz do the usual fun nerfing later.
Reply Quote
63 Orc Warrior
Well, the cast time was added (I would imagine) to keep you from avoiding repair bills when you plummet to your death after accidentally dismounting.

The cooldown was increased (again, I would imagine) to keep you from avoiding repair bills on every wipe.

So, really, Blizzard is doing you a favor. They're combating MUDflation!
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Mage
Raid groups were using it to wipe if things went south so they can avoid the gold repair costs. People find a way to abuse something...Blizz has to take action.
Reply Quote
40 Worgen Hunter
You can still use it for the "harmless and fun" reasons you keep talking about. You can't use it as often for the exploitative and cheesy reasons that people were using it for.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I just want to be able to use my Murloc Costume in combat. It's been six years, Blizzard.

Get a buddy to Skymirror (or Potion of Illusion) you in the costume.

Cancel the costume and use the Skymirror on it.

????

Profit!
Reply Quote
91 Goblin Shaman
Honestly, I think there's at least one dev who really gets a kick out of giving us fun stuff and then taking the fun out of it. Blizz you got anyone green working for you? Hairy? Name like Grinch, maybe?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Why can I not have fun with my "fun" items blizz? All I want is to turn into a mogu statue every 15, not 30 minutes!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Well, if I had to give a serious answer... it's most likely because they don't want them being useable long enough to make them get old. i.e. If they were seen too often, they wouldn't have much appeal.

Yeah, but the extremely long CDs on some vanity items makes it feel like you're wasting them when using it.

Well, the cast time was added (I would imagine) to keep you from avoiding repair bills when you plummet to your death after accidentally dismounting.

The cooldown was increased (again, I would imagine) to keep you from avoiding repair bills on every wipe.

So, really, Blizzard is doing you a favor. They're combating MUDflation!

Raid groups were using it to wipe if things went south so they can avoid the gold repair costs. People find a way to abuse something...Blizz has to take action.

"Ra'Sha's Dagger now causes durability damage" or "Ra'Sha's Dagger now causes durability damage after the first use." Bam. Done.
Edited by Hotwheelz on 3/19/2013 4:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
98 Draenei Mage
"Ra'Sha's Dagger now causes durability damage" or "Ra'Sha's Dagger now causes durability damage after the first use." Bam. Done.

Done is right. It would get used far less in the "fun" capacity of it cost gold everytime you use it.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman

Meh i thought that was the point. Oh well, there goes my "feign death".
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Rogue
Blizzard is notorious for OVER nerfing things, this is no different. All they had to do is take away the "no durability loss" from the act of killing oneself with this item. Instead, they nerf the cooldown by 600%, put a 1 second cast time on it, AND take away the "no durability loss."
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
AND take away the "no durability loss

Er...

I don't see THAT in the hotfix notes.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Much of the time, 'fun' items are nerfed to prevent an exploit of one sort or another.

Cheaters are why you can't have nice things. Well, they're still pretty nice, just not as often.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Much of the time, 'fun' items are nerfed to prevent an exploit of one sort or another.

Cheaters are why you can't have nice things. Well, they're still pretty nice, just not as often.

Just a little less cooldown ,maybe?
Edited by Frazzy on 3/19/2013 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]