Player Recommended Specs(Building a Computer)

90 Troll Shaman
Hey guys, I've been playing WoW for a few years now on a !@#$ty laptop my parents got me for my 16th birthday or something like that. It's definitely got me through a lot of games towards the end of highschool and the start of my adult life, but I think it's time to put it down and upgrade to something new. I've been researching a lot into building a low-budget gaming computer, but have a few questions I hope will get answered here.

Budget: $400-$600 (would prefer sticking to the lower end if it meets my needs)
This budget is before the OS, I already bought a copy of windows 7 home premium.

I would like to be able to run the game at mid-high settings (not looking for ultra) at a stable framerate. I don't need it high, but I'd like to be able to maintain ~30+ fps during 25 man encounters.

So really I need suggestions for what parts to get. I'd prefer suggestions for both intel and amd, or atleast an explanation for why one is the better choice

$400-$600
mid-high settings
30 fps at minimum
future proof
needs to be able to render video
wouldn't mind it being decent for other games at low-mid settings.

make it happen :)
Edited by Cato on 3/20/2013 2:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1231493

To start you off.

The only thing that wouldn't really be as "futureproof" would be the graphics card. However, for now, it would allow you to play the game at pretty high settings definitely within your budget. A card that would last a couple years would set you back $150-$200, so you can just get that later.

Board also supports the next gen of Intel CPU's for upgrade possibilities.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1231493

To start you off.

The only thing that wouldn't really be as "futureproof" would be the graphics card. However, for now, it would allow you to play the game at pretty high settings definitely within your budget. A card that would last a couple years would set you back $150-$200, so you can just get that later.

Board also supports the next gen of Intel CPU's for upgrade possibilities.

I don't know a whole lot about all of this stuff, but I noticed that ram is 1333, and from what I heard I want to go for higher speeds, don't I?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
What level of video rendering are you wanting to do and which program will you be using? Depending on the answer to this, can affect what kind of gaming capabilities you may or may not see as well.

All in all, the above system should be fine for both at a basic level for video rendering and a decent gaming computer.

For what you're asking for, 1333Mhz is plenty. The motherboard in the bundle listed above can handle much faster memory (which you can always upgrade later). You will likely need more RAM for your video rendering but again, this depends highly on the program you will be using. Say you're using a better software like: Adobe Premiere CS suite or Sony Vegas Pro, it's been recommended you start with a GTX670 but that will run about $250 more for just the video card.

Will the above system or others similar to it work for you in the mean time? Yes. Could it use some upgrades? Absolutely. $400-600 can be difficult to find a good system to do it all but starting with something like the above is a good start.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Gaming is my top priority, the video rendering isn't a big deal, more of a small hobby.

Thanks a lot guys, you were both definitely helpful :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]