Unholy or shadow priest pve?

90 Human Death Knight
I have played both of these specs before and really enjoy them both. I am just coming back from cata and I would really appreciate some opinions on which class I should play. This isn't a fotm thread I just need help deciding between my two favorite specs. Which class seems more fun?
Reply Quote
19 Night Elf Rogue
Unholy priest lmao
Edited by Alfstewart on 3/20/2013 7:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I obviously meant unholy dk seeing as how I am posting on a death knight...
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Opinions?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Get on the bandwagon
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
DKs are meaty and satisfying to play. Spriests are kind of like Afflic Warlocks. Stand in the back and dot 'em up. Spriests are simple to play and very straightforward. DKs take time to fully master.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
What bandwagon? I haven't played since cata
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Shadow DK maybe? ZOMG how BA would that be!?!?!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
DKs take time to fully master.

I keep hearing different
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I keep hearing different

You always believe what you hear?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I have a DK and a Shadow Priest, so I hope I can give you a satisfying answer.

Leveling 85~90 with shadow priest is a pain in the !@# (compared to a DK), and I find pve

shadow priest to be so boring (pvp it's very fun)

When playing a ranged class, I like to throw stuff at the enemy, but shadow priest is a DoT

based class that has only Mind Flay as visible animation. You'll see your character mind flaying,

whereas if you play other caster classes you can see many cool projectiles. (hell even unholy dk

death coil projectile is pretty cool, throwing skulls and $%^-) The shadow form means all your

mounts and character will look the same no matter what xmog you use. Idk why I level'd a

priest I hate him and I only use him to farm old raid mounts.

They also have been nerfed recently..with 25% dmg reduction to shadow word pain

Unholy on the other hand has a unique feeling to it. IDK about questing as unholy though. Sure

it's fun, but it's slow and painful compared to frost leveling where you can just 2 shot things. In

raids though, unholy has a lot of utility, like giving haste to a good geared caster (on 3 min cd,

so usable twice in most fights). The new t15 4 piece bonus allows you to start using soul reaper

at 45% of the boss's hp as opposed to 35%. Unholy's mastery scales soul reaper's damage

up, which is a nice buff for them. Although I play frost when I raid (not a hardcore raider, only

cleared msv 10 normal), I tried unholy few times and although you drop in numbers, if you have

a nicely geared caster you can greatly increase his burst dmg which more than makes up for

your loss of 5k dps by switching from frost to unholy.

I also hated doing quests with my shadow priest (there are MANY dailies in this expansion that

offer too great rewards to just pass) because he sucks at AoE'ing. On my DK, with glyph of

death strike I never die even after pulling like 12 things, and if you feel lazy you can go blood

and pull the entire quest hub and finish dailies in 5 minutes. Death knights also can solo

Naxxramas 10, which drops pets that sell for 1k+ gold in my server.

I'm obviously biased towards DK because I hate my priest, but there you go. I apologize for my

writing I just woke up :)
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I have played both of these specs before and really enjoy them both. I am just coming back from cata and I would really appreciate some opinions on which class I should play. This isn't a fotm thread I just need help deciding between my two favorite specs. Which class seems more fun?

I've been leveling a Death Knight (again/still among other characters) and my main (for many years now) is a Priest. For me, the Death Knight is a lot of fun. It's my "go to" when I feel like just smashing things and changing things up a bit. My Priest needs a bit more juggling and careful consideration of what I'm getting myself into, but it's still the character I find myself playing most. So, my advice is play the one that you think fits your personal play style most.

*Also, Welcome Back!
Edited by Nethaera on 3/20/2013 8:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2013 08:08 AMPosted by Nethaera

I've been leveling a Death Knight (again/still among other characters) and my main (for many years now) is a Priest. For me, the Death Knight is a lot of fun. It's my "go to" when I feel like just smashing things and changing things up a bit. My Priest needs a bit more juggling and careful consideration of what I'm getting myself into, but it's still the character I find myself playing most. So, my advice is play the one that you think fits your personal play style most.

*Also, Welcome Back!

I agree since I also have and play both.

The DK is more like "HULK SMASH THIS" and the Spriest is more of a puzzle because you have to figure out things like I know when I pull this guy his buddies are going to join him so how do I do this and stay alive.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

You must have some form of ADHD with all your non-maxed alts. Either that or kids. Those would do it too.

Something along those lines. I tend to like the idea of alts, but don't fully commit to them either. It's too easy to go for my comfort zone with the character I've played the most. :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
03/20/2013 08:08 AMPosted by Nethaera

*Also, Welcome Back!

YAY for priest main and DK alt!

I consider this toon my 'main', but I've been tanking on my DK since Cata due to what our raid needed. But in the next few weeks I'll be switching back...

I know the OP was about DPS specs, but like Neth said, the play styles are pretty different and both offer their own fun due to that. It's nice to switch for a 'break' or a change in playstyle.

edit: and both contrinute plenty in terms of DPS if played correctly. With coming back, you may find some of the changes have made it where one doesn't agree with your personal play style. Give both a try and see which 'fits' best.
Edited by Lignar on 3/20/2013 8:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Thank you all for the replies and helpful Information. I think I am going to play my dk because they have two dps specs and I can alternate between the two to make sure that I don't lose interest. I have always been a dps player not much on healing or ranking. But my only concern with rolling melee is are the current fight melee friendly and are melee dps wanted ATM?
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I find Shadow Priest to be great.

The rotation is cool, and Power Word Shield (while leveling) - is amazing.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Well here's my 2 cents

If you plan on Raiding end game i advise Shad its dps yield is fair/high this tier and always a desirable class to any raid team. Dk i would say is the better choice for a casual not so serious raider Unholy does have a higher skill set then shad or frost however at least in my XP Dk has became a "Me too" toon played by many and very replaceable unlike like a good shad. From a player POV just enjoyment of a class Dk wins hands down i love to get on my dk and smash !@#$ frost is awesome burst and Blood is very OP for soloing about anything prior to LK himself and even that plus has been done.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]