[PvP] Ret's sustain & thoughts on Divine Purp

About how bad is it actually? Is it as horrendous as people make it out to be, or with proper gear is it possible to pressure anyone outside of cooldowns?

Also, how does Divine Purpose look for Ret PvP?
Edited by Morthrek on 3/12/2013 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you using Divine propose you should not having hard time to burst up by spamming TV over and over. tricket PvP helps a lot too. However what Seal are you using?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm killing outside of CDs. But not a chance vs healers without a small army and all your Cds up
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Trying to kill things outside of cooldowns all comes down to how well you can interrupt the other players heals or defensive cooldowns (though some arent stoppable of course). It is a bit on the low side pressure wise going against someone else in similar gear, but its still respectable. Besides, with wings on a 2 min CD its much more likely that youll have burst ready for when your enemies are out of defensives.
Reply Quote
I use Justice almost exclusively, I'm seal swap if I'm feeling comfy with a kill, if someone else has them snared or if I want to get a dot on a rogue while I'm kiting him.
Reply Quote
03/11/2013 03:25 AMPosted by Solvexx
Trying to kill things outside of cooldowns all comes down to how well you can interrupt the other players heals or defensive cooldowns (though some arent stoppable of course). It is a bit on the low side pressure wise going against someone else in similar gear, but its still respectable. Besides, with wings on a 2 min CD its much more likely that youll have burst ready for when your enemies are out of defensives.

There should be a ban against people posting if they boughty a t2 carry.
Seriously. If you don't want to be called out, stay away from the forums.

At least they posted something relevant to the topic :/
Reply Quote
I just always BG with my unholy DK friend. That way, whenever I don't have my CD's up and there's a healer on the other team I can just heal back and fourth between us until I have CD's to go "LOL!" and chances are he'll kill a healer before then.

Ret's damage outside of CD's isn't horrendously bad to the point where you can't put a little bit of pressure, but you wont be killing a healer by yourself any time soon. Given most healers have a way to avoid our CD's though, you probably wont be able to kill a good healer even with CD's.

Now, if we're talking arenas it's a little different. Chances are in arenas most teams are going to have a healer, your job is actually going to be the one who throws an off-set to the normal of healer/dps/dps and be that one dude that does as much burst as everyone(or more depending on class), but a less amount of sustained pressure. Why? Because ret heals make up for the loss of sustained DPS by a landslide. The heals aren't that ridiculous when you consider the ret paladins sustained damage and limited CC utility.
At low MMR's you'll see a lot of complaints from people about ret paladins, but you'll learn that the higher your MMR gets the more people you'll face that know you can dispel Selfless Healer and/or focus a ret paladin. This effectively cancels our our niche, and that is our off-heals. I'm not considering all the other utility a ret paladin offers for an arena team as this isn't what the topic is about.

TL;DR: If you're up against good players, no, you won't be able to cause a whole lot of pressure by yourself unless you get lucky with Divine Purpose given you want to sacrifice the on-demand burst from Holy Avenger or Sanctified Wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
03/11/2013 03:25 AMPosted by Solvexx

At first I was like... "What a douche."

Then I inspected the cow.

Then I nodded and frowned shamefully.

But, this.

03/11/2013 03:28 AMPosted by Morthrek

At least they posted something relevant to the topic :/
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Deffinately noticeable with CDS off however with pvp trinks at 1 min and inquistion always up you can still do some decent damage
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Divine purpose helps a ton and getting six or seven procs in a row is laughably awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I love Ret PvP. Most people won't !@#$ with you 1v1.

With the right gear, enchants, gems, etc... you can be a wrecking machine and still have enough utility outside of CD's to stay alive if you play your cards right. With wings being back to 2 min baseline for Ret it also helps a major ton. I've hardly used DP for PvP since being 90, but I'm thinking about playing back around with it... although I love HA. The only problem with HA is sometimes the amounts of CC you can go through it's hard to stay on a target at times, but if you manage... you'll shred them fairly quick.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not sure why people have a hate on for people who buy T2 carries.
I don't necessarily agree with it as long as they aren't pretending they earned it, then W/E.

Not everyone has the time and schedule (skill too of course) to be in a competitive RBG team.

But I've heard top players saying carries are sometimes a good way for an unknown player to get a chance at proving themselves.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't necessarily agree with it as long as they aren't pretending they earned it, then W/E.

Not everyone has the time and schedule (skill too of course) to be in a competitive RBG team.

But I've heard top players saying carries are sometimes a good way for an unknown player to get a chance at proving themselves.

The annoyance I have is from spending an entire season trying to get a warrior for the comp I played and having literally a 9/10 ratio of warriors who bought a carry either try to lie to me, or fool me for a second until the 3s game started and they bombed badly.
Edited by Solvexx on 3/11/2013 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

The annoyance I have is from spending an entire season trying to get a warrior for the comp I played and having literally a 9/10 ratio of warriors who bought a carry either try to lie to me, or fool me for a second until the 3s game started and they bombed badly.

yea okay i can see your point with that;)
Reply Quote

I'm not trying to be douchey or anything either, they were offering some advice relevant to what I was asking for and I didn't much care about how they acquired their t2/whatnot. I get that it's annoying especially playing with a bunch of tryhard phonies (BIG FAT PHONIES)

So is Divine Purpose a useful talent in an arena situation? That's what I'm getting at from you, Tarvoz, I feel like that may be something I want to consider and just use wings/trinket during burst and rely on a little bit of rng.

I know it's stupid to count on, but it would be pretty laughable anyway if I got strings of procs during burst, since that'd be lots more damage even than with Holy Avenger, and strings of procs would provide that people hate.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm not trying to be douchey or anything either, they were offering some advice relevant to what I was asking for and I didn't much care about how they acquired their t2/whatnot. I get that it's annoying especially playing with a bunch of tryhard phonies (BIG FAT PHONIES)

So is Divine Purpose a useful talent in an arena situation? That's what I'm getting at from you, Tarvoz, I feel like that may be something I want to consider and just use wings/trinket during burst and rely on a little bit of rng.

I know it's stupid to count on, but it would be pretty laughable anyway if I got strings of procs during burst, since that'd be lots more damage even than with Holy Avenger, and strings of procs would provide that people hate.

I found it hard to use Divine Purpose last season because Ret was squishy and teams like KFC were zergy. Maybe this season DP will be a little better, but keep in mind that it's worth less DPS in PvE than Holy Avenger and Sanctified Wrath, and that it's consumed by dodges and parries.

I still try to use it sometimes 'cause I don't like being tied to cooldowns. /shrug
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I agree with DP to not be tied completely to CD's. It's really nice when u get those procs when ur mid burst or getting trained to be able to cast heals w/out having to cast. I think all the choices on that tier could work, depending on ur comp and playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
03/11/2013 01:47 AMPosted by Morthrek
About how bad is it actually?

the opposing faction healer see a paladin, stops healing, attacks the paladin, then the healer wins.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]