Is there any point to fishing gear anymore?

90 Night Elf Druid
I mean, you don't NEED a fishing pole and open water fishing no longer fishing up junk catches and there is no longer a level requirement to fish in any level.

So, is the gear even useful?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Looks cool. Lowers the chance of getting Golden Carp in Panderia when fishing in open water. Otherwise, no.
Edited by Phopaw on 3/11/2013 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
There are still fish that you catch only from open water and need more than 600 fishing to get.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
03/11/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Doroteasenjk
There are still fish that you catch only from open water and need more than 600 fishing to get.
^This. You have a greater chance of getting the quest fish for Nat Pagle turn ins if you have higher fishing skill. Grab the fishing stake, plant it, put on your hat and grab your 2nd favorite pole!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I was the last person in Azeroth to know that fishing from pools no longer required fishing skill. I'd leveled my previous main during the days of each zone having a minimum fishing skill to even throw a bobber into the water. I had two toons that I leveled to 350 during TBC, then one who I kept leveling through Wrath and Cata.

So MoP comes out and I grudgingly dust off the old main, fishing as I level.

And then I learn that I can fish with a skill of 1. /sigh ... time to level another fisher ...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Open water fishing without the required skill does still give junk, that hasn't been changed.
The only change is that the junk is now called 'golden carp' instead of weeds or whatever. It's still not the fish you're probably wanting to catch ;p
Reply Quote
I haven't fished pools in a long time. With the right gear it's easy to just fish from anywhere, and it's usually faster to fish open water than fly around looking for pools. With the recent changes to the drop rate for Nat's daily fish (and the increased rep awarded upon turn-in), farming Nat Pagle rep isn't so painful. I usually get the quest fish in under 20 casts now, on average.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
farming Nat Pagle rep isn't so painful. I usually get the quest fish in under 20 casts now, on average.

Oh yeah. I'm thankful for that.

Although the Fishing hat is almost useless and the only reason to fish up all those quest fish was to obtain a hat to give you better chances to catch NO JUNK.

It's still not the fish you're probably wanting to catch ;p

Agreed but those junk fish can be translated into Ironpaw tokens and then into other things.

I'm just annoyed that a gathering profession has been completely gutted.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Golden carp is the new junk and doing quests that require fishing in open water will not be able to be done with out a high level. These include the angler dailies.

Also if you want rarer fish in pandaland like redbelly mandarin you'll need higher level fishing to get them in open water unless you're lucky and find pools, which are a lot more rare than the jewel danio's in vale.
Edited by Bloodkorican on 3/12/2013 12:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
6 Human Priest
Fishing is broken far as I am concerned. Have all achievements and gear maxed out. I have no idea why. Please Blizzard come out with a questline to catch rare fish that have some use in the game please.

Ex Fish a pool at the end of a raid or dungeon that requires over 600 fishing skill.

Ex have an epic fish turn in to nat pagle for some kind of epic gear.

Ex Fish up an extra boss that drops fishing gear for a new slot, like a cloak. Only spots used now are hat, boots, pole, glove enchant.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Also, the Kaluak fishing pole is a very useful one. Water breathing while it's equipped... HELL YES! I always have it with me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
+fishing needs a new purpose, I'd like to see something like:

- increases the chance of catching a fish earlier in the cast timer
- chance of catching more than 1 fish

- or to get crazy: for every +100 fishing you cast an extra lure
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Also, the Kaluak fishing pole is a very useful one. Water breathing while it's equipped... HELL YES! I always have it with me.

Bah, water breathing is barely useful these days. It used to be you could only just barely dive to the bottom and back up without drowning. Now you can hang out and take a nap down there.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
you can take my Kaluak fishing pole when you can take if from my room temperature corpse... or when they finally make a better one
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The max skill profession perk of fishing in open water is lack luster at the moment. If I'm trying to get the sea turtle mount I still need to fish in a pool which requires fishing level of 1. So for me who has a fishing level of 600 doesn't really matter if I have to fish pools anyways. It'd be nice to have something extra with max fishing plus gear/lure perks. I got that fancy fishing pole from placing 1st at the fishing contests but doesn't really help in pools.
Edited by Bloodkorican on 3/12/2013 12:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
you can take my Kaluak fishing pole when you can take if from my room temperature corpse... or when they finally make a better one

A real fisherman uses Arcanite Fishing Pole + Hook of the Master Angler ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Golden carp is needed for the little cooking daily for Golden Serpents. Also 60 carp = 1 Tillers token.

It's junk yet not totally junk.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well, the Kaluak pole is still cool-looking and the underwater breathing is occasionally helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
03/12/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Brudarek

A real fisherman uses Arcanite Fishing Pole + Hook of the Master Angler ;)

drop the trinket part and allow it to be a "gem slot" for pagel's hat and you have yourself an idea
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]