Oondasta and Nalak Hotfixes

(Locked)

Community Manager
We’re in the process of implementing a hotfix that will remove players’ eligibility to receive loot from Oondasta and Nalak, The Storm Lord if they’re not on their home realm.

We think it’s great that encounters like Oondasta have been able to bring back some of the excitement of massive spontaneous outdoor raids. However, with cross-realm groups giving the ability to play with friends on each other’s realms, the amount of people concentrating on a single realm to try to zerg these bosses down can unfortunately cause a number of stability issues, impacting the availability of the game for everyone.

While Nalak isn’t available yet, we want to preemptively address this so that the first realm to unlock it doesn’t then become the single focus for the rest of the region.

Here’s the hotfix note that’ll be added to the blog shortly:

• Players visiting a different realm are no longer eligible to receive loot from Oondasta or Nalak, The Storm Lord.
  • Edited by Rygarius on 3/12/2013 6:35 PM PDT
    90 Blood Elf Warlock
    This is a very good change... but I think a bunch of people will greatly hate this.
    90 Pandaren Monk
    hmm, not sure this is a good thing since the only way we were able to field a large enough raid (3 full raid groups) was to bring in people from another realm.

There will be no incentive at all to do it if people don't have the possibility of loot.
    90 Blood Elf Warlock
    hmm, not sure this is a good thing since the only way we were able to field a large enough raid (3 full raid groups) was to bring in people from another realm.

There will be no incentive at all to do it if people don't have the possibility of loot.

That's kindof the point: these world bosses were never meant to be downed with 3+ full raids groups.
    85 Undead Hunter
    Then the encounter needs to be nerfed, and nerfed hard, so a single raid group can accomplish it.

Plenty of servers are simply incapable of fielding the kinds of numbers required to fight this - cross-realm is the only way a lot of people can participate.

Besides, the fight is going to be obsolete in a few months anyways (just like Sha is now). Why not let people have their fun while they can?

Isn't this why CRZ was put in in the first place? Give a leg-up to those servers suffering from low population?
    Edited by Sylvalla on 3/11/2013 6:15 PM PDT
    90 Night Elf Druid
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA........ Taking off a part or CRZ because of the number of people taking the bosses down on some servers.

This is one of the BIG issues people have been complaining about.

Maybee this can be the first chip in the wall of CRZ. Chip by chip we can get rid of it.
    90 Troll Druid
    It's a needed change. CRZ'ing to Illidan was fun, but seeing the server nearly crash obviously isn't good (because it will begin to chain-crash as people try to log back in).

The change doesn't hurt anyone based on their server population (unless there are literally no more than 30 players online for your faction, which is unlikely). It just means you need to play better. High population servers can still zerg Oondasta, but they'll still be wrecked by Spitfire Beam.
    Edited by Cyous on 3/11/2013 6:35 PM PDT
    Excellent change. Can ya make it so they can't get bones, pets, or eggs off their home realms as well?
    85 Human Paladin
    Then the encounter needs to be nerfed, and nerfed hard, so a single raid group can accomplish it.

Plenty of servers are simply incapable of fielding the kinds of numbers required to fight this - cross-realm is the only way a lot of people can participate.

Besides, the fight is going to be obsolete in a few months anyways (just like Sha is now). Why not let people have their fun while they can?

Isn't this why CRZ was put in in the first place? Give a leg-up to those servers suffering from low population?

The whole point of oondasta is that he is suppose to be hard so if you can only field 1 raid group then you are doing the encounter as intended.
    90 Human Paladin
    Work on fixing low pop servers next.
    90 Tauren Hunter
    This is not a good change for mid-pop server and low-pop servers at all.

EDIT: And even with 2-3 groups, I was in a group where people were STILL having issues with it. Zerging it isn't always going to work with rez timers, people not paying attention, ect. ect.
    Edited by Artemiscow on 3/11/2013 6:20 PM PDT
    90 Blood Elf Warlock

Oondasta is meant to be a hard world boss that pushes the group trying it to the limit (aka heroic raiders)... if that isn't your cup of tea there's Nalak once your server unlocks it.

Also CRZ was ment to populate zones.. not to fix the server population problems.
    90 Dwarf Shaman

World bosses need to scale with the number of players fighting them. We know you have the technology for this now, since that's how the rares on the Isle of Thunder work.
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    GG Low Pop
    90 Worgen Mage
    Sucks for low pops, but thanks for the headsup.
    Edited by Digerati on 3/11/2013 6:22 PM PDT
    90 Tauren Warrior
    While I appreciate your reasoning on this I have to say that I am sad I will not be able to take these bosses down and have a chance for loot. I had intended to join a cross realm raid with my niece or sister to do so.

I'm Horde on Windrunner and I have rarely seen sufficient numbers online at any time to accomplish this task. This site illustrates the problem: http://wow.realmpop.com/us-windrunner.html

Perhaps once ilv has increased overall we will be able to defeat them.
    MVP - Technical Support
    90 Human Warrior
    While at it, can you please please make him not kitable to graveyard. quite frankly, the zerg strat is insulting to his design intent of actually being difficult. Galleon was a failure. Lets not make oondasta one too. This boss is a great fight if you actually do it correctly (actually spreading out, tank swapping using threat alone and no taunts like good ole deathwhisper days) and using Cds to survive the cone. CRZ will reduce number of people in area some. Making him not shared faction tap would be ultimate fix though (sorry, but 100 people leeching loot and barely even doing 200k dps to boss while killing everyone trying to do fight right is also not very productive).

There is no middle ground. Either make him like nalak/sha. Or make him like he's supposed to be, doomwalker/kazzak. right now he's just a large repair bill sha/nalak that gives everyone loot for doing fight wrong.
    90 Human Warlock
    Oondasta is meant to be a hard world boss that pushes the group trying it to the limit (aka heroic raiders)... if that isn't your cup of tea there's Nalak once your server unlocks it.

From being involved in a Bleeding Hollow raid that was after Oondasta, he's not that hard. His difficulty stems from the fact that on a PvP server, it's basically impossible to have enough people to hold off the other faction while downing him. Spread out, don't get interrupted, and don't stand in front of him really isn't a massive challenge.
    90 Blood Elf Mage
    I don't like this change at all. On my home server, Antonidas, we (the Horde) are easily outnumbered 3-1 and could never field a raid group to down Oondasta, at least not in time to kill him before Alliance players get at him. To my knowledge, we didn't have a single member of the Horde get a Galleon kill before 5.2. I was looking forward to a chance to down the boss in the future on another realm, knowing that I could never accomplish it on my home realm. But now, what's the point?

I understand that you guys don't want to make him too faceroll or cause intense server lag, but the cat is out of the hat, so to speak. Why make such a change now, when the worst of the problems have likely passed?
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]