Oondasta and Nalak Hotfixes

(Locked)

90 Troll Druid
Here's an idea: Go ahead with the changes for now.

After a month or so, reinstate the cross-realm looting. The idea here is that everyone wants the "very first chance," but once that rush is gone; everything should be more stable on the server's end.
90 Pandaren Shaman
I wonder if they even predicted this would turn into a "why do you have low pop servers thread?", or if they are really that clueless.
90 Gnome Warrior
Thank you blizz for screwing alliance on dentarg for world bosses. We do not have the player base on alliance to form easily for this much less the people who are descent raiders. So we get to never loot these bosses and gain their benfits or enjoy world pve anymore. So again thanks a lot
hmm, not sure this is a good thing since the only way we were able to field a large enough raid (3 full raid groups) was to bring in people from another realm.

There will be no incentive at all to do it if people don't have the possibility of loot.

go to a better server then?
Edited by Docbanner on 3/11/2013 7:20 PM PDT
It's a needed change. CRZ'ing to Illidan was fun, but seeing the server nearly crash obviously isn't good (because it will begin to chain-crash as people try to log back in).

The change doesn't hurt anyone based on their server population (unless there are literally no more than 30 players online for your faction, which is unlikely). It just means you need to play better. High population servers can still zerg Oondasta, but they'll still be wrecked by Spitfire Beam.

first night he was up on illidan was crazy... he died at what, 4 stacks? lol
90 Undead Mage
I wonder if they even predicted this would turn into a "why do you have low pop servers thread?", or if they are really that clueless.

Not a chance they are that clueless. But what is a bit troubling is they didn't see the zerg coming.................
Well there goes the chances of Oondasta ever actually being killed on Shu'halo.

No one's gonna want to OpenRaid if they don't get loot, and we don't even have enough people on server to anchor THOSE groups to the realm, if what I watched happen last night was any indication.

It's entertaining to watch but kind of depressing to know and realize just how low-pop we are.
90 Undead Monk
Chromaggus-US will never down Oondasta again. Thank you, Blizzard.
90 Pandaren Shaman
03/11/2013 07:19 PMPosted by Illganku

Not a chance they are that clueless. But what is a bit troubling is they didn't see the zerg coming.................

Well then, at least we're in agreement they are ignoring the topic. I have these pipe dreams that GC's big feature is something cool addressing the issue. But we'll probably (finally) get a dance studio, or guild housing, or some other useless feature.
90 Pandaren Shaman
This just reeks of desperation on Blizzards part. Better a bad plan to fix this than no plan at all? Was the fist week what Blizzard expected, no. Was it a fun way to kill Oondasta... no.

I think leashing him to the oil field would have been a more prudent first step. If that wasn't enough maybe a more innovative Release mechanic could be introduced similar to Doomwalker for example.
90 Undead Mage
03/11/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Firestyle

Well then, at least we're in agreement they are ignoring the topic. I have these pipe dreams that GC's big feature is something cool addressing the issue. But we'll probably (finally) get a dance studio, or guild housing, or some other useless feature.

The more popular rumours are along the lines of scaled down lfr for old content or something along those lines
90 Pandaren Shaman
The more popular rumours are along the lines of scaled down lfr for old content or something along those lines

I guess as long as I can do level 60 raids at level 60, that'd give me a reason to make a character on another realm and level it up through raids.
90 Undead Priest
03/11/2013 06:18 PMPosted by Cyous
(unless there are literally no more than 30 players online for your faction, which is unlikely).

You've never played alliance on Mal'ganis then. There've been times where there would only be about 8 max level toons on.
90 Night Elf Rogue
hmm, not sure this is a good thing since the only way we were able to field a large enough raid (3 full raid groups) was to bring in people from another realm.

There will be no incentive at all to do it if people don't have the possibility of loot.

That's kindof the point: these world bosses were never meant to be downed with 3+ full raids groups.

Agreed, although I do have to lament the idea of removing potential huge gatherings of players. Despite lag, that can often be some of the most memorable of events.
90 Undead Warlock
no ur wrong and missed the memo - Oondasta is a HEROIC 40 man Raid (and an organized 1 at that). He's not Sha or Galleon. GC has alrdy commented he should not be considered progression and elitists answered back that all bosses no matter how hard will ALWAYS be considered progression. GC replied that that is the raid's choice but dont expect Oondasts to be nerfed if a guild/raid cannot take him down.

This is something NEW that blizzard is trying. Bosses that ARE meant to be feared and avoided and not zerged for gear. Killing Oondasta in itself is ALMOST a feat of strength kind of achievement and NOT meant for casual players (which i know make 95% of wow's player base) but this is a bone for those few hardcore raiders....and i LIKE that they're doing something new like this. Goes back to the heart of the game which is NOT catering to the masses but going outside the box and doing things that are just plain COOL! cause the developers felt like it.

Blizzard is not going to nerf this....like ever - think of it as ur hardcore D3 character dying - they're not listening lalalalalala
90 Gnome Death Knight
This is awful. So sad. My realm will never get enough people to kill this. Thanks a lot Blizzard. So much fail in this decision. And to think just when I was starting to think maybe CRZ wasn't such a bad thing. CRZ is the worst implemented feature I have ever seen and you continue to make it worse.
90 Tauren Warrior
I'm also kind of amused at how this went down.

"Oh yes, Oondasta, it'll take a very coordinated group to do this! Heroic geared raiders only will be trying this...wait, what do you mean, they're just pulling him over the hill to the graveyard and zerging him?"

No one thought of this when they designed the fight?

There is only so much you can do. With all the craziness involved with your average oondasta encounter, you'd have to really watch how you set up his leash range in order to be forgiving to the players while also trying to minimalize the zerging method of bruteforcing the boss down with little thought other than the same strategy lemmings have when following eachother off a cliff.

It's fine, it really is. Not everyone who plays is going to get skilled enough or coordinated or whatever in a group as large as one required for oondasta, so little bits like these that may cheese the experience will help the more casual players. Casual players make up more of the subs than heroic-tiered players do(I would honestly be surprised were it the other way)so while you want to tune your boss one way, you must also think of the rest of the people. The majority. They deserve to enjoy the game as well, so they need their little upper hand as well so that they can have a better chance to do it than if they were left to their own amends.

It may not be going quite like it may be intended to be, but this boss is tuned for players geared in items from content that isn't out yet. Some of these players will only come close to this, many may not come close even.They want to down the boss as much as everyone else does, so they should be able to form their own ways to do so as well. Zerging may sound so simple and easy, but it is still a strategy. It was a strategy that worked out for those that couldn't manage anything else. I say, more power to them. They may suffer their steep repair bills, they may get frustrated trying to set it up, but by god if it isn't moving to watch casual players try to take down difficult encounters like this and eventually succeed.

The players of appropriate skill level have already come together to impress the rest with the skills of the best, and I am sure multiple have been doing that already. They aren't going to talk, you know why? They have boasted already. They know where they stand, their position alone speaks words for themselves. Skilled players will down Oondasta fast and with minimal trouble, of course whereas those not quite as good at the game and able to cordinate in a large group will overcome their discouraging odds and still have a decent chance at getting ahead in the game.

Cont. in my next post due to message length.
90 Tauren Warrior
Then Blizzard needs to do something about these dead servers. Low pop servers aren't going to be able to do these overtuned bosses because there just aren't enough people to kill it without cross realm.
90 Tauren Warrior
I'd say it is rather nice of blizzard for them to have placed the graveyard there. Every little thing helps. If more can take down bosses like oondasta, and get lucky enough to win loot, thats more of the game that they can see, enjoy, and be willing to continue paying for. There should never be something so perfectly designed to where a large portion of the playerbase is alienated from it,but I'm not saying none of this should ever exist, I don't actually mean that.

You could say that, for example, the 25m heroic content is exactly that top of the line piece of cake that's reserved for those truly skilled and well geared players to blast through things that still challenge them, but they know a large amount of other players will not see. They'll go on ahead and they'll do their own thing, continuing to compete with those equal to them in skill level while the rest go about their own thing as well. The game has content for everybody, and some, if not most of it, is at least capable of being done by everybody as well.The more casual players of the game can at least know that they still have the chance of being great players at this game like their friends high in the ranks are by pushing their way through content like this.

They live, they learn, they improve. Through determination and, sort-of mostly through luck, they know they can one day see the top of the ranks too. They know they need this, I'm sure a lot of the lesser skilled playerbase wants it, no one wants to feel discouraged and alienated by too much of the game's content. That's not good for many things, though most importantly business.

I don't think anything should be changed about Oondasta, at the very least not right now. If enough people begin to ask for it, who knows, there could be some sort of small compensation nerf if a seriously large number of people are bothered by it.I am confident blizzard knows what they're doing, they'll pull through with their content just fine. Anyone can see that it's stressful to keep catering to everyone who plays this by staging encounters with increasing difficulty that can still eventually be fought and challenged by even the most laid back and casual of player.

But I digress. It does seem a bit silly that zerging was the first thing players did.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]