Shadow priest or Affliction warlock?

90 Human Death Knight
Hey, everyone im really not sure what class I want to play and would like some help to decide if possible. Shadow priest or Affliction warlock? I know that I want to play a Damage-over-time class. I am not interested in ever healing or playing Destro or Demo only Shadow if I play priest and only Affliction if I play warlock. I mainly PvP only doing dungeons from time to time. With that in mind what class do you guys think I should play and why? Plz give me some actual reasons and facts to why you would pick what you pick.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
afflic <3
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Priest
locks feel/look awsome atm
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Locks are pretty fun right now but for me, it's their popularity that keeps me away from them. There are so many of them. I know you said you don't want to heal but having the option to down the road is nice. I have a hard time playing pure dps classes for that reason.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
So far looks like everyone perfers lock. Still any reasons why?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Because reasons.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Locks are fun and aff is still strong in PVE despite recent nerfs, but a you said you mainly pvp so Aff is a joke there.

If PVP is your goal, be a shadow priest as we are very strong there and I hold my only in terms of PVE DPS.
Edited by Bosspriest on 3/14/2013 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Shadow priest if you want to PvP. You can heal yourself - to a certain point - and still have the protection of bubble in Shadow spec. PvE is alright if you're not too concerned about DPS charts.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Affliction Warlock
Cons: Still can hit shard starvation due to a bad string of no shadow trance procs, but that can be solved but losing a bit of dps to drain soul to regen shards. AoE dmg requires a long setup and in 5man dungeons mobs will usually be dead before you can set the seeds off.
Pros: Soulburn:Soulswap (applies 3 main DoTs all at once) makes affliction extremely FUN! The basic overall play is enjoyable if you don't mind micro-managing multi-dot-ing and your minion (unless you decide to sacrifice the minion). If you enjoy working with your pet as Unholy then it shouldn't be too hard to pick up warlock minion usage which is more akin to hunter pet management.

Shadow Priest
Cons: Damage can feel a bit underpowered. DoTs are applied one at a time.
Pros: Immediate AoE damage satisfaction with no setup required. Shadowform just looks awesome.

As you can probably tell, I lean towards the warlock camp. I leveled to 90 as shadow on my priest and played as shadow early on before switching to discipline, but warlock is my favorite and I will try to talk anyone considering playing a warlock into doing so. I never feel 'bored' when playing an affliction warlock in group settings, while the shadow priest started to become same thing different mobs (hence why I switched to discipline). That's my 2 cents on the matter.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Alright, thanks for the feed back guys. At the moment im leaning towards the warlock.
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
Alright, thanks for the feed back guys. At the moment im leaning towards the warlock.

Healing gear and DPS gear with a priest is interchangeable with a spirit = hit talent. So if you want to heal rather than DPS all the time, priests are a viable option too.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
03/14/2013 02:29 PMPosted by Reallifegirl

Healing gear and DPS gear with a priest is interchangeable with a spirit = hit talent. So if you want to heal rather than DPS all the time, priests are a viable option too.

03/14/2013 01:31 PMPosted by Getoverhere
I am not interested in ever healing or playing Destro or Demo only Shadow if I play priest and only Affliction if I play warlock.

Not that it matters, I just thought I'd point that out.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
mage
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Mage
If you like damage over time class, I would roll an affliction lock. IMO, spriest are not really a DoT class as much as they used to be. They have two DoTs spells, SW:P and VT. I personally don't consider DP to be a DoT spell, but a proc and burst spell (Others may disagree with me though).

If it wasn't for pets, I would personally reroll as an aff lock for PvE. I like DoTs and don't find spriest to be as engaging as before. Nonetheless, I still enjoy them.

As others have said for PvP, spriest > aff lock. I personally cannot comment on PvP since I am returning to WoW and don't do arena, but I loved my spriest in BGs in both WotLK and Cata. Despite being cloth, we are very durable and have good utlities.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I should note I dont do arenas atleast not right now I dont have time to get a team together and actually progress with them. I only do random BGs at the moment
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Mage
Go shadow priest. In the short term you can get superior dps to an affliction lock with simpler mechanic and less dot management. Better payoff for less work. In the long term, if you ever get bored, you could always switch and do abit of healing. Plus Blizz is always tinkering with affliction, one patch its up, the next its at the bottom. Shadow has been more stable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]