Surv Hunter PVP 5.2

90 Human Hunter
Any thoughts on the subject? I've been playing this spec ever since 5.1, and I LOVE it, anyone else?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
RBGs = !@#$ing pro.

Rest = visit hunter trainer, change to BM.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
That's interesting, I had no idea survival hunters were desired for RBGs. What's the attraction, lots of dot cleave damage?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
That's interesting, I had no idea survival hunters were desired for RBGs. What's the attraction, lots of dot cleave damage?

Yes do tell.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
@ Drazzul:

The DoTs (Serpent Spread!, aoe dot!), Lynx Rush (moar aoe dots!), and Entrapment (cover flags with traps, makes it impossible for ninjacappers to cap, because both snake and ice trap now act as Freezing Trap and interrupt the cast.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Also, those AoE dots force enemy healers to be everywhere and sometimes to be distracted from the kill target. Which is also dotted and has to be dispelled. It's pretty effective, but it really shines in a dotcleave comp.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Also, those AoE dots force enemy healers to be everywhere and sometimes to be distracted from the kill target. Which is also dotted and has to be dispelled. It's pretty effective, but it really shines in a dotcleave comp.

Now if only it was good in arena. Sigh
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
Sorry for triple post: other hunter specs aren't as desired because they don't have any aoe utility, so why take one for single-target instead of a mage or something?

I've found this comp to be pretty effective as well, where the Hunter can have some utility.

Warrior FC
MW Monk
Disc Priest
Holy Paladin
Survival Hunter
Mage
Warlock
Rogue
Frost DK TC
Boomkin

In this RBG comp, the Hunter isn't there to burst. He will mostly be used to camp a flag with his many traps, hide in Camo and call incs.

He can also be used on offense to apply AoE dots and force enemy healers to go out of their way to heal / dispell everyone, because as unlikely as it seems, if the Hunter has enough PvP power, the dots hurt.

Look at my current stats. I balanced Res and PvP power (65% res, 51% power) to achieve 64% PvP power when Rapid Fire is active (4 piece PvP set bonus). The DoTs hurt. I often even finish top 3 Damage Done, both rbg teams mixed. You might say that it isn't that important to top off damage chart, but it shows that you can actually put pressure on the enemy team and bring some utility. BM hunters or MM aren't that great because they're only good single-target, and a bigger DPS easily outshines them for this.

Finally, due to the other two specs being so-so in RBGs, the fact that Survival is known as the ''lol this spec fails'' in PvP makes people think Hunters are useless. False.

I wouldn't try to push Glad being Survival, even if ''higher skill-cap bro'' and other useless arguments, but for RBGs it's definitely worth it. You should give it a try and if you're on Tichondrius, feel free to whisper me for tips / tricks, I'll be glad to help you. Or, just make a level 1 character on my realm to ask for help!

There's also the freshness of using a different spec too, if you aren't an avid PvE hero. It's a very different gameplay than BM, no matter what people say.

Good luck !
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
Thank you for the in-depth reply :). I'll definitely be swapping my hunter's second spec to survival to check all this out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]