Why are healers in such short supply?

90 Gnome Mage
After coming back to WoW in MoP, I've noticed an amazing shortage of healers when Q'ing for LFD or LFR; much more than previous expansions. What happened to drive the healer population so low? I ask because I have a healer I'm considering leveling, but if healing is bad enough to drop the healer population, I don't want to get into something that's not as fun as it used to be. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I don't think it's any lower than it's been in times past.

For LFR, the number of healers needed is simply in poor relation to DPS available and tanks required.

For LFD, the only levels I find that healers are in short supply is 58 to 61, which coincidentally coincides with a wave of terrible DK tanks queueing for hellfire peninsula. No sane healer wants to deal with that.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Mmm... dailies, maybe? It may also be what time you're queueing up (goodness knows, queue times are much higher in the morning).

I've very rarely encountered any kind of disdain for healers. Tanks are quick to get the boot in LFR and sometimes dungeons, but healers are rarely touched. When I'm dps (I don't have problems when I'm the one healing, of course. <grins>), attitudes towards healers seems polite enough except for obvious mistakes like going AFK.

I enjoy healing, and others like having me. Obviously because I'm a tauradin, which combines the most awesomest race and the raddest class in the game. <flexes>

Play what you love. And if that's a healer, rejoice in the short Queue times.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Because healing still takes skill to be above average, and when your not, people die. The other roles have been nerfed down over the years to be idiot proof, while healing has not.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
As far as lfr goes if they allowed players to choose what specs loot table to use separately from the roll they are filling it would help. I typically dont run most lfr as heals since my dps offspec needs gear and my healing set doesn't
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
As far as lfr goes if they allowed players to choose what specs loot table to use separately from the roll they are filling it would help. I typically dont run most lfr as heals since my dps offspec needs gear and my healing set doesn't

^ This is the answer. It's not too hard to reach a point where at least certain LFR wings don't have upgrades for you in healing spec. Since there's such a focus on having a DPS spec (dailies, Brawlers Guild, scenarios, in addition to raids needing variable numbers of healers from fight to fight), many healers will then run those LFR wings as DPS to get DPS gear for those activities, even if they over prefer to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
03/14/2013 11:48 PMPosted by Honorata

^ This is the answer. It's not too hard to reach a point where at least certain LFR wings don't have upgrades for you in healing spec. Since there's such a focus on having a DPS spec (dailies, Brawlers Guild, scenarios, in addition to raids needing variable numbers of healers from fight to fight), many healers will then run those LFR wings as DPS to get DPS gear for those activities, even if they over prefer to heal.

+1
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
+1
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
It's typically a thankless job that comes with a tremendous amount of responsibility? On top of all this, of course, Healers are last priority for everything gearwise, first to be sat, etc.

You are also pretty much unable to function in your chosen spec in any solo content (unless you're a Priest or a Monk). Overall QOL if you prefer to play in your Healer role is really, really low.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Eon

Pretty much the answer right here.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
After coming back to WoW in MoP, I've noticed an amazing shortage of healers when Q'ing for LFD or LFR; much more than previous expansions. What happened to drive the healer population so low? I ask because I have a healer I'm considering leveling, but if healing is bad enough to drop the healer population, I don't want to get into something that's not as fun as it used to be. Thoughts?

I still find healing itself to be fun, but blizzard has made the game more and more unfriendly to those who prefer to remain dedicated healers.

Scenarios – Dedicated healer not required nor wanted.
Challenge Mode Dungeons - Dedicated healer not required nor wanted.
Brawler’s Guild - Dedicated healer not required nor wanted.
Dailies – Meant to be completed as DPS, painfully slow as healer.
Raids – Aggressive Enrage timers encourage raids to drop their 3rd healer on many fights.
The list goes on.

Modern WoW is a game that assumes everyone has lovingly embraced DPS as at least one of their two specs. The game seems to be trending in a direction where healers might not even be required at all some day soon.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Healers are only in short supply for LFR, and possibly 25man guilds in normal/heroics.

Healers are not in short supply for 10mans; the limiting factor there is a tank.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
For LFD, the only levels I find that healers are in short supply is 58 to 61, which coincidentally coincides with a wave of terrible DK tanks queueing for hellfire peninsula. No sane healer wants to deal with that.

I don't think that's just healers, I think it's anyone who wants to run 5 mans the way they were intended to be ran. I always skip those if I'm leveling a tank because you end up getting a DK who rolled dps but still insists on tanking. They don't know how to tank and want to learn, but are too scared to actually queue for it, imo anyway.

As far as less healers at max level, I think it's because the dungeons are so boring that once you get decent gear you can lol your way through. Remember ZA/ZG where you went in wearing full raid gear and still had to pull 30k hps on trash, when 30k hps was actually A LOT of healing? Yeah, that really doesn't exist at the moment. Maybe they'll bless us with more challenging 5 man content in coming patches, but until then I will continue to queue only once a day for the valor then move on to LFR or dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

Actually, we already know that its NOT the answer. Since, people will hop into whatever is the shortest queue (healer) and then do whatever they want (dps) instead of what they queue for. We had an entire patch (Dragon Soul) that proves this beyond any doubt at all.
Edited by Ticktacktick on 3/17/2013 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
03/17/2013 12:52 PMPosted by Ticktacktick

Actually, we already know that its NOT the answer. Since, people will hop into whatever is the shortest queue (healer) and then do whatever they want (dps) instead of what they queue for. We had an entire patch (Dragon Soul) that proves this beyond any doubt at all.

I agree. There needs to be a way to get Off Spec gear but it can't be a toggle for the very reason you said. We'd also get those DPS who queue as a healer and heal but who suck at the job.

If they do something it will likely be with Charms.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I agree. There needs to be a way to get Off Spec gear but it can't be a toggle for the very reason you said. We'd also get those DPS who queue as a healer and heal but who suck at the job.

If they do something it will likely be with Charms.

Change to offspec while your bonus role is up. Hit roll. Get loot (probably gold) for off spec. Switch back before next mob.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

Healing is job that is meant for groups. The typical go to response is to go find people to play with. But a problem arises here when almost all of the content provided is geared so that DPS can complete it solo. This leaves a gaping whole in the idea of group play.

You are also looking at a difficult role to play.

DPS is extremely easy (Elemental Shaman for one year Naxxramas in WotLK). Stay out of stuff and trinket on burst. Today it is still fundamentally the same with added abilities to reduce some damage. DPS mana concern is a thing of the past.

Tanking is easy (Protection Paladin ICC). With taunt available tank swapping is a breeze. All tanks have a plethora of AoE abilities to hold a lot of mobs with almost no worries of ever getting pulled from them except in the case of early DPSing. Single target tanking... no chance at all of ever losing aggro. In not trying to knock tanking to much, a tank that kite's and uses CD's effectively is worth their salt.

Both these specs, when it comes to solo content can hold their own and can either kill a mob in a global or 2 or whittle down 10mobs in one go.

Healing though is a challenge. Not only does it involve everything that DPS does excluding damage, healers also have to manage mana, and on the fly determine which heals will keep up your other members and not make you oom.

When it comes to solo content. We can neither global anything nor can we take on more than 10 mobs (excluding the little mini cutie name tag ones). A healer, unless they want to take an extra 2-3 hours to do the same content as everyone else MUST GROUP. Which brings us back to the fact that A LOT of the content is soloable.

As such many people will make healers for getting by or doing some old content. But when it comes to nose to the grind stone healing only the people who want to heal will do it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Have you tried to do this lately? Most LFR groups are poised with their pitchforks at the first glimpse of a queue'd healer in a dps spec.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I would heal if I could get gear for my mainspec. Beyond that my guild has enough healers so I dps if I want to raid.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk

Have you tried to do this lately? Most LFR groups are poised with their pitchforks at the first glimpse of a queue'd healer in a dps spec.

And rightfully so IMO.

It is incredibly frustrating to try and carry a typical lfr full of baddies when only 3 or 4 of the 6 supposed healers are actually healing. It's bad enough running with a bunch of noob healers that don't really know the fight (lol @ healing just Tsulong more than the other 5 healers healed total on the fight) but when you have guys that que as heals and go dps it is a real drag.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]