Enhancement DPS Rankings in 5.2

100 Troll Shaman
So, Enhancement has steadily been crawling towards the bottom of DPSBot's rankings since the release of 5.2 in many raid types.

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25H/100/14/60/default/ 25H - 2nd to last
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10H/100/14/60/default/ 10H - middle (our best representation)
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25N/100/14/60/default/ 25N - 5th to last
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/10N/100/14/60/default/ 10N - 6th to last

I think it's far, far too early to draw any kind of meaningful conclusion from this data, but it's still interesting to note.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
The data, when framed in the way you've done in those links, would have implied that fire mage was by far the strongest spec in firelands (hint: no)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
The data, when framed in the way you've done in those links, would have implied that fire mage was by far the strongest spec in firelands (hint: no)

Didn't play in Cataclysm, so this is lost on me, more or less. Were Fire Mages at the top of DPSBot then due to old content on farm but mediocre in current content, or something?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
03/20/2013 01:51 PMPosted by Auqo

Didn't play in Cataclysm, so this is lost on me, more or less. Were Fire Mages at the top of DPSBot then due to old content on farm but mediocre in current content, or something?

There's two problems with those links (actually more than two, but I'm lazy, so I'm only going to describe two).

1. The population imbalance problem (don't use top 100)

Different specs have different populations. For example, if you select all parses, raidbots currently has 26,612 samples for shadow priests, but it only has 109 subtlety rogue samples (to use the two extremes). As a result, when you compare the top 100 parses for each spec, you are (essentially) comparing the top 0.3% of shadow priests against the top 91.7% of subtlety rogues. This is not a fair comparison.

2. The fire mage in firelands problem (don't use overall dps)

Those links take the top parses for each spec across all fights, average them, and then rank the specs based on those averages. The problem is, DPS isn't constant from fight to fight - on some fights you'll be doing 200k+ dps, and others you'll be doing 100k. There could be any number of reasons for this difference - lots of AOE, gimmick buffs/debuffs, etc. Whoever takes best advantage of a tier's gimmicks (like fire mages on alysrazor in firelands) will dominate those pages, whether they're strong specs in general (e.g. assassination rogues on that page) or not (e.g. fire mages in firelands).

Basically, you can't make cross-class comparisons based on who wins the tier's gimmick encounters. Fire was a dumpster-tier spec in firelands. It wasn't used for any fight except alysrazor, because the alysrazor gimmick coincidentally played perfectly into the spec's toolkit, and it did so in a big enough way that fire was ranked as the top spec in firelands on a lot of those sites. Spec score was invented in order to minimize this effect - basically, it takes the top spec for each fight, sets it at 100%, and then everyone else is rated in relation to how far off they are from this figure on the same fight. In other words, a spec with a spec score of 82.6 (e.g. enhancement in 25N all parses) performs, on average, 82.6% as well as the top performer on any given fight in the tier. You'll notice that not even the highest spec has a spec score of 100, because they're not the top spec on every single fight in the tier.
Edited by Purge on 3/20/2013 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Okay, cool.

I used top 100 because RaidBots has that option to ignore particularly underrepresented specs, and I figured that using the top 100 of well represented specs was better than using all parses due to... well, baddies (really only relevant for N content I guess). I'd assumed that top 100 generally showed what the class is capable of at top level play, assuming it's well represented.

Second point is something I really didn't even consider but is basically unassailable, so fair enough.

Still, looking under all parses/spec score, in Heroic modes Enhancement looks to be trailing somewhat significantly. 25H is at 48.9, and 10H at 41.1. I fully acknowledge it's too early to really make heads or tails of yet, and it doesn't affect me in the slightest since I'm a filthy casual, but less than half of the top performer on average is pretty dreadful.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
every time people complain about something like this I die a little inside
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
every time people complain about something like this I die a little inside

I tend to die inside when people don't read threads and jump to conclusions.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I did read it
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I did read it

Not really complaining about anything. Just (poorly) dissecting some data. You and Purge are the ones pushing H content, and that's really the only area affected by DPS rankings. If I had to guess, you guys aren't doing ~45% of the top DPS on either Horridon or Jin'Rokh, so I'm kind of mystified at such a large gap existing.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
@Chillbros

Face it... Enhance is the worst melee DPS spec in the game

..... Death knights, warriors, paladins, monks, feral.... all get way more attention and way more updates...

I mean, our AoE is a flippin joke. Atleast making a Greater Earth Shock for Enhancement spec( does the damage but to all enemies in a cone 10 yards infront of the caster) only is the only way out.

oh, i see what chill is getting at

Enhancement was in a good place last tier, so it really didn't need much attention. Enhancement currently is parsing the lowest among melee specs in heroic content, but is pretty close with Feral and Windwalkers.
Edited by Auqo on 3/20/2013 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
03/20/2013 02:52 PMPosted by Auqo
I did read it

Not really complaining about anything. Just (poorly) dissecting some data. You and Purge are the ones pushing H content, and that's really the only area affected by DPS rankings. If I had to guess, you guys aren't doing ~45% of the top DPS on either Horridon or Jin'Rokh, so I'm kind of mystified at such a large gap existing.

I understand you aren't complaining, and sorry I came off as rude, but thanks to this thread this jerk had an excuse to post:

@Chillbros

Face it... Enhance is the worst melee DPS spec in the game

..... Death knights, warriors, paladins, monks, feral.... all get way more attention and way more updates...

I mean, our AoE is a flippin joke. Atleast making a Greater Earth Shock for Enhancement spec( does the damage but to all enemies in a cone 10 yards infront of the caster) only is the only way out.

your massive amount of experience in raids and PvP proves that enhancement is the #1 neglected spec in the game, I apologize for offending you your highness
Reply Quote
96 Pandaren Shaman
I lol'd

Not.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I dont need to waste my time raiding when I know that ill always be 18th on Recount, our AoE really is a disaster at the moment and I cant help laughing at you since your trying to defend our garbage AoE.

I raid on other toons that actually can AoE, and there has never been an enhancement shaman in the top 10 ever, they are all i515 but other classes simply outshine them.

I didn't know that a class' ability to AoE was what made it good or not.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]