Healing with Wild Growth & Pets

90 Worgen Druid
I am growing frustrated over the targets that this heal chooses.

We just recently did Horridon 10 man with 2 healers. The raid make up was Paladin/Blood DK for tanks. Resto Shaman and myself for heals. The dps consisted of and Enhancement Shaman and Rogue for melee. The ranged were 2 Warlocks, a Hunter, and a Mage.

Now you may ask why this was frustrating and how does it pertain to wild growth?

Wild growth is limited to 6 targets glyphed, with 8 targets during Incarnation.

It hits these pets I know for sure:

Death Knight>
-Blood worms
-Army of the dead

Warlock>
-Demon
-Wild imps (all of them)

Hunter>
-Normal pet
-Stampede

Mage>
-Water elemental

I watched during this fight as my wild growth was placed on these above pets at full health over players with at least 15% missing health. The only thing that seemed to help sometimes was placing myself farther away from pets and closer to players. This is impractical.

I believe this issue, although not game breaking, is harsh toward a druid who has a limited number of targets to begin with. When 2 healing fights where there can be aoe damage, every little bit that hits a player is important.

What I suggest is removing any form of "pet" from targets that the heal considers if possible. Granted certain pets, if they die, are a loss of dps. Unlike a player, however they can be brought back without any other penalty then the time it takes to summon those that are summoned.

Those like wild imp and army should never need a heal to begin with, why are they targets for the heal?

I am sure wild growth is not the only aoe heal that hits these "pets", but for a druid being limited to 6(8) targets at a time is quite punishing.

If there are any other ideas or suggestions I am open to them. Just tired of seeing a swarm of imps or army eat my heals.

Thank you,

Tehuantl
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
This is true for every smart heal, actually. Including Atonement heals and Fistweaving. It's very annoying, but they seem disinclined to change it.
Edited by Tiriel on 3/17/2013 10:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
If this is true then it should be looked into. At minimum it is a quality of life issue that has an impact on multiple classes. There is no reason for any aoe heal to hit something like a wild imp or army of the dead.

Druids are target capped. Not familiar enough with how Attonement works, and never got into monk Fistweaving. Do they have caps? What is the cool down for their use?

Still this seems silly not to address. What is the reasoning? It surely can not be spam more rejuvenation.

Tehuantl
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
At least those pets can be healed, pointless as it often is. I hated seeing 'Immune' constantly pop up when someone in the party had the Ghost Iron Dragonling. So stupid to have something suck up heals, but at the same time be immune. It was frustrating on my Disc priest when plenty of shields from Atonement crits weren't getting applied on party members. Thankfully I'm well past content where I'd see a player with that trinket. I wonder if they ever fixed that problem.

On my DK I never used the Blood Worms talent just to avoid sucking up smart heals. Now that option is gone.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
03/18/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Tehuantl
Druids are target capped. Not familiar enough with how Attonement works, and never got into monk Fistweaving. Do they have caps? What is the cool down for their use?

Atonement is basically my Smite, Holy Fire/Solace, and Penance deal damage, and 100% of their damage is translated into healing on an injured target within 40 yards. Now, if there are no injured player targets, it goes directly to Pets/Summons (which is annoying because the OTHER benefit of that heal is Divine Aegis, which comes from crits. I would prefer those go on a player instead of a pointless Mirror Image or Army of the Dead mob!). Smite has no CD, but has a 1.5 sec cast time. Holy Fire/Solace is instant with a 10 second CD, and Penance has a 9 second base CD (reduced by 1 with the T14 4pc). Penance would be the closest corrollary to your situation, because it has 3 "volleys" that can each prioritize a different target.

Monk Fistweaving works by using Chi (generated through Jab, Soothing Mist, Renewing Mist, or Expel Harm) to use either Tiger Palm (1 Chi) or Blackout Kick (2 Chi). Tiger Palm gives them Tiger Power (ignoring 30% of their target's armor, thus getting larger individual hits) and Blackout Kick puts up a buff (whose name I forget) that allows 25% of their auto attack damage to heal those around them. There's a 20 yard range limit between the monk and anyone who gets healed, and another 20 yards between the monk's Serpent Statue and anyone nearby who gets healed. They can also get Eminence Healing from things like Crackling Jade Lighting (expensive), Spinning Crane Kick (which also has a base healing element, but is also very expensive) and the Xuen level 90 talent. But yeah, all of their fistweaving requires Chi to use (which costs mana) and can go to anyone and anything and will prioritize pets over players if there are no injured players. (If any of this is wrong, oh dear Monk players, speak up because I only play my Monk as an alt! :-P)

Still this seems silly not to address. What is the reasoning? It surely can not be spam more rejuvenation.

Not sure on the reasoning, but I think that they feel that since the spells won't prioritize pets over INJURED players (i.e. it will always favor an injured player over an injured pet), it's not a big deal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I definitely think this should be looked into by Blizz. It would be nice for all "smart" or RNG AoE heals for all healing classes to abide by this, but I think Druids and Shaman need the most boost right now (Not too familiar with Shaman healing so IDK if they even have something like this).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Not sure on the reasoning, but I think that they feel that since the spells won't prioritize pets over INJURED players (i.e. it will always favor an injured player over an injured pet), it's not a big deal.

I would agree with this since it says in the tool tip it supposed to pick the most injured. From my experience however this is not always the case. It will pick the wild imp at full health over the player who is missing health.

Even then it should not be picking wild imps, army of the dead, or any other such "pet" over a player. A warlock alone can have 7 pets out, and in a raid with 2 lord help me.

I think any healers that are impacted by this would have a complaint. Having to glyph for one extra target on wild growth that has a cool down that is increased by that glyph hurts when pets are involved.

Only thing for shaman that I have noticed is for chain heal bouncing weirdly off these pets.

Tehuantl
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]